PDA

View Full Version : Beater Boats...

kah68
10-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey people, I was thinking since I just purchased an 89' Tristar ( X camp boat ) that It might be fun to start a 'Beater's Club' for the low buck crowd. Please post pics, good things and bad things about your boat, 'beauty marks', names, up grades, down grades, prices you have paid or anything that would make this post fun. I will be posting pics of my 'new to me' Tri this week.

Thanks

Kirk

JohnnyB
10-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Where are your pics....I'm assuming since you're the inaugural member, you need to post your pics.

Rich_G
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I guess I qualify. I found a 99 205V that had been neglected, sat out a season in a backyard uncovered, had a cracked block, speakers stolen, busted hatch, and was generally filthy. I had it completely checked out and had the engine replaced - it now runs great.

I started today just taking it apart, pulling out the back seat frame and will take the hatch off tomorrow. I am going to take my time because I have to do a bunch of research each step of the way. I will also add PP and a ballast system this winter.

What I want in the end is a "sleeper"; a boat that may not be the prettiest on the lake, but down deep will be a hardcore wakeboard boat.

So far I am encouraged and glad I got it.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I guess I qualify. I found a 99 205V that had been neglected, sat out a season in a backyard uncovered, had a cracked block, speakers stolen, busted hatch, and was generally filthy. I had it completely checked out and had the engine replaced - it now runs great.

I started today just taking it apart, pulling out the back seat frame and will take the hatch off tomorrow. I am going to take my time because I have to do a bunch of research each step of the way. I will also add PP and a ballast system this winter.

What I want in the end is a "sleeper"; a boat that may not be the prettiest on the lake, but down deep will be a hardcore wakeboard boat.

Man i don't see how someone could do that to their Mastercraft. She looks pretty beat up

Jerseydave
10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Rich,

Glad to hear stories like yours. Thanks for bringing another MC back to life! (How can anyone abuse/neglect such a fine piece of machinery?)

Make sure you show us the "after" pics.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
ya seriously Rich good going

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
If I remember correctly you were going to turn yours over to the kids so condition was not all important. The ride still looks cool and if it runs great who cares if you sit on vinyl or a towel. That ride is cool without an interior! Beaters are all relevant to the beaters financial disposition. For many here I have a beater! For many here I have a Cadillac! 8p I guess I qualify. I found a 99 205V that had been neglected, sat out a season in a backyard uncovered, had a cracked block, speakers stolen, busted hatch, and was generally filthy. I had it completely checked out and had the engine replaced - it now runs great.

kpgotgame
10-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Well said HB!

Ryan
10-08-2006, 01:11 PM

I've been watching your thread over on WakeWorld. We look forward to seeing pics of the progress. Did you ever find a suitable material for the rear sunpad?

JimN
10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Rich- if you really want a sleeper, say this in your best "stoner" voice, "Dude! ya gotta paint it camo, man! Then they won't be able to see ya."

Rich_G
10-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I thought it was unusual to find a boat like this. It was a nice boat; not inexpensive, and they let it go. I don't know the whole story but that's all in the past. This is my third inboard, and I am really good at taking care of my own stuff, but fairly inexperienced at fixing someone else's mistakes.

HB, I wouldn't say I will "turn it over to the kids" but I do have to share. My wife and I still like to take out our friends to ski and board, so I want it to be clean and functional.

Ryan, still working on the sunpad. When I get some time I'm going to talk the people at the shop that did upholstery work for me before.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I will definitely post updates. Let's see more works-in-progress!

Davo
10-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Rich- if you really want a sleeper, say this in your best "stoner" voice, "Dude! ya gotta paint it camo, man! Then they won't be able to see ya."
Ooooh, I'm feelin' the camo brah. Den you can sneak up on those suckas in the new boats wit the bling blang and blast the biggest gnarliest trick in da bag right in front of all their chicas. Den you gonna get dem girls numbas at da dock. Das how you sneak brah. 8p

Serially...you're a braver man than I taking on a project boat, but it'll be that much nicer when you're out on the water after puting in all that sweat equity!

jbfootin
10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
This is good. Not all of us can afford the new price take but love to ski and having a quality boat to do it behind! Love the fixer uppers!

richardsoncd
10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
here was my S&S when I first bought her

richardsoncd
10-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Not a totally beater...but pretty rough in some areas....she still isn't done, but is getting close

JimN
10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Since it's the time of year when people dump their problems on some unsuspecting rube, I'm looking for a '94 -'98 MC with mechanical/electrical problems, or is just a dog. Blown motor? Great! Upholstery ripped and cracked? No problem! I would prefer structurally sound but if it has gouges, scratches, etc, that's OK.

Preferably in the Milwaukee area but if it's close enough or in the right price range, I'll look at it. Price will be determined by the condition of the boat.

I'll also be starting a new thread for this and if anyone knows of a boat that fits the description, please PM me.

the legend
10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
hey there jim,whats shaking?

Farmer Ted
10-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Since it's the time of year when people dump their problems on some unsuspecting rube, I'm looking for a '94 -'98 MC with mechanical/electrical problems, or is just a dog. Blown motor? Great! Upholstery ripped and cracked? No problem! I would prefer structurally sound but if it has gouges, scratches, etc, that's OK.

Preferably in the Milwaukee area but if it's close enough or in the right price range, I'll look at it. Price will be determined by the condition of the boat.

I'll also be starting a new thread for this and if anyone knows of a boat that fits the description, please PM me.

I'll sell you mine for $17,000 if you come pick it up. The observer seat and back seat meet your criteria, and I have a ghetto spare tire.

JimN
10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I want a project boat, preferably inboard because, well, you know how much fun repowering a sterndrive is by comparison. However, if I can find a boat that needs outdrive problems like the one we found for a friend last winter, I'm in. He bought a '94 Glastron 195 for $1K and it needed cleanup, upholstery, tune-up and me to fix the drive and replace the shift cable bellows.

Farmer Ted
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I want a project boat, preferably inboard because, well, you know how much fun repowering a sterndrive is by comparison. However, if I can find a boat that needs outdrive problems like the one we found for a friend last winter, I'm in. He bought a '94 Glastron 195 for $1K and it needed cleanup, upholstery, tune-up and me to fix the drive and replace the shift cable bellows.

if you bought mine, it would be a weekend project.....

I want to get a 1984 Stars and Stripes

JimN
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I thought a ghetto spare was the tiny donut tire.

Your boat is too nice, I want a good hull with a bad drive, etc. Like I told Will, I want a project boat.

Farmer Ted
10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I thought a ghetto spare was the tiny donut tire.

Your boat is too nice, I want a good hull with a bad drive, etc. Like I told Will, I want a project boat.

thanks Jimmer, my rim is ghetto. My tire man threw in the rim for free when I got two Marathons mounted

stevo137
10-09-2006, 01:00 PM
if you bought mine, it would be a weekend project.....

I want to get a 1984 Stars and Stripes
Farmer, I might be looking for something in this range in the spring.
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1085&cat=5
S&S around the 10k range and I'll just keep it in the garage during the season and visit different lakes.
This one looks very nice but very far away and it's not good timing.

T Scott
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Bought this "Beater Boat" back in 1999. This was the first Mastercraft that I ever re-furbed. Paid $4000 for it. Spent another $1500 or so in interior. Replaced the starter for $300 and probably 20-30 hours in the garage buffing, wet sanding, etc. Turned out awesome in the end.

T Scott
10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Bon't be too quick to judge...this is how it turned out.

stevo137
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Awesome job T!

kah68
10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Glad to see this thread is going someplace, going out to do more cleaning of the Tri today, I will take some pics and post soon. Man what a mess those camp kids leave these boats in!:mad:

stevo137
10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Glad to see this thread is going someplace, going out to do more cleaning of the Tri today, I will take some pics and post soon. Man what a mess those camp kids leave these boats in!:mad:
It's a good thread, glad you started it.

JohnnyB
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Maybe the thread should be changed to MC Rescue and should grow into a not-for-profit organization for rescuing abused MCs

Rich_G
10-09-2006, 03:36 PM
nice job T Scott, you showed some TLC on TMC

kah68
10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah the only thing is mine will be staying as a beater somewhat as there are some pretty big gouges in the driver side and I think they will be very expensive to fix. There are nicks in the glass all over the boat and striping is in pretty bad shape. The goal is a cheap, mechanically sound ski boat for around $ 5500.00, I paid $ 4500.00 for it so my budget is a grand. I spent $ 200.00 already for a gear reduction starter. I'm not counting my own time either. I don't think the boat was a steal but it's still a great boat for what my total investment will be and should be a good starter boat that I can move up from in a few years. Oh yeah the boat has 800 hrs on it but the engine and trans were completely redone at 675. I know the tech. who did the work and he showed me the invoices, totaling $ 8,000.00 with a few other things in there as well.

K

stevo137
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah the only thing is mine will be staying as a beater somewhat as there are some pretty big gouges in the driver side and I think they will be very expensive to fix. There are nicks in the glass all over the boat and striping is in pretty bad shape. The goal is a cheap, mechanically sound ski boat for around $ 5500.00, I paid $ 4500.00 for it so my budget is a grand. I spent $ 200.00 already for a gear reduction starter. I'm not counting my own time either. I don't think the boat was a steal but it's still a great boat for what my total investment will be and should be a good starter boat that I can move up from in a few years. Oh yeah the boat has 800 hrs on it but the engine and trans were completely redone at 675. I know the tech. who did the work and he showed me the invoices, totaling $ 8,000.00 with a few other things in there as well.

K
Have you posted a pic? You'll be surprised at how much you can do just by sanding and polishing the gelcoat. The Tristar is a very solid boat and I'll bet there is at least 20-25 mils of gelcoat to work with.
There are some good posts regarding the best way to sand the gelcoat, do a search to find them.

kah68
10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Have you posted a pic? You'll be surprised at how much you can do just by sanding and polishing the gelcoat. The Tristar is a very solid boat and I'll bet there is at least 20-25 mils of gelcoat to work with.
There are some good posts regarding the best way to sand the gelcoat, do a search to find them.

SteveO,

I will take some pics this week, I would say that seeing as though I can see the ' Yellow ' fiberglass mesh from the outside I don't think I can sand that out. Is there a way to spot repair damage that deep. I will post to show you how bad it is.

Kirk

michael freeman
10-09-2006, 05:40 PM
SteveO,

I will take some pics this week, I would say that seeing as though I can see the ' Yellow ' fiberglass mesh from the outside I don't think I can sand that out. Is there a way to spot repair damage that deep. I will post to show you how bad it is.

Kirk

If it is that deep you probably need to fix it to prevent water getting into the fiberglass in causing bigger problems.

stevo137
10-09-2006, 05:49 PM
SteveO,

Kirk
If it's down to the glass, you will need to patch.
Here's a link to a thread discussing gelcoat repair.
It looks like Kell used Spectrum with good results.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10938&highlight=spectrum

kah68
10-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks Steveo, BTW are 'skins' interior skin? As in Vinyl for seats and pads? If so are there people out there that sells kits for an 89' Tristar 190? My interior is beat, hell if I'm going to fix the hull mights as well fix the guts too.