PDA

View Full Version : Prop corrosion

sdegen
10-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Just bought a 99 Sportstar - Awesome boat, only 69 hours - runs perfect. The prop has some pitting that I'm concerned about. See the picture - not sure if I could work these out with a wire wheel, or if I should send it in to be rebuilt. Opinions?

Thanks

Farmer Ted
10-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Just bought a 99 Sportstar - Awesome boat, only 69 hours - runs perfect. The prop has some pitting that I'm concerned about. See the picture - not sure if I could work these out with a wire wheel, or if I should send it in to be rebuilt. Opinions?

Thanks

looks like something corrisive got splashed on it, I'd clean it and polish it to see how deep the pits are.

might as well just upgrade to an ACME 541 3 blade, you won't be disappointed....

....also, one thing to consider if you dress out the corrosion, is the amount equal on all blades or do some have more than others? If you clean it too well it may develop a vibration that could require a rebalance

André
10-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Just bought a 99 Sportstar ...only 69 hours ...
That's not even 10 hrs a season.Wonder why the previous owner got a a skiboat for...:confused:
Good deal!

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks

Look like something corrosive may have splashed up on it or it could be a adolesant prop with acne!

bigmac
10-07-2006, 09:42 AM
If the corrosion is too deep, there's likely to be some balance issues. I'd take it to a prop guy and have him clean it up, fill the pits if necessary, and re-balance.

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Some steel wool, emory cloth and some Tarnite will clean it up purdy!

sdegen
10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Some of the pitting is deep - I started with a wire wheel on a grinder, and didn't get very far. I think they will need to be filled. Any suggestions on a good place to have it re-built?

Speaking of hours - I bought it this summer, and it hadn't been in the water since 02! It was a bankruptcy sale, and I didn't meet the owner, but who leaves a boat out of water for 3+ years??? They didn't even know if it ran when I purchased it, so I got it really cheap. Fired up like it ran the week before.

Farmer Ted
10-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Some of the pitting is deep - I started with a wire wheel on a grinder, and didn't get very far. I think they will need to be filled. Any suggestions on a good place to have it re-built?

Speaking of hours - I bought it this summer, and it hadn't been in the water since 02! It was a bankruptcy sale, and I didn't meet the owner, but who leaves a boat out of water for 3+ years??? They didn't even know if it ran when I purchased it, so I got it really cheap. Fired up like it ran the week before.

where abouts in the midwest are you?

bigmac
10-08-2006, 02:07 AM

Your choices are to have it done locally, if you can find someone skilled in repairing NiBral props and who has the blocks, or you might be able to send it back to the mfgr (probably OJ/Johnson propeller (http://www.ojprops.com/)). If you get stuck, I think my local prop guy is a genius with these props - Precision Propeller Repair (http://www.brainerdguide.com/boats_props/repair.htm)

88 PS190
10-08-2006, 03:02 AM
I have some spots in upper LP Michigan.

TMCNo1
10-08-2006, 09:16 AM
A prop manufacturer will braze and grind down the spots, just like a local welding shop can and if there are no large pieces broke or sheared off the prop for a major rebuild, just those tiny spots shouldn't throw it out of balance after brazing and light grinding.