PDA

View Full Version : Check this assembly line out

Roonie's
10-06-2006, 02:56 PM
This is one clean factory and look how they assemble the vehicles...... impressive!!! No I don't own a VW.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

the legend
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
impressive!

Archimedes
10-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Have you seen the picture of the Touareg plant where the Touaregs are transferred from building to building hanging from a tram wire? Pretty cool.

For all that technology VW still makes crappy cars and has a dealer network that is just about as bad as it gets in the automotive business. Just sold my Touareg and couldn't wait to get VW in my rear view mirror. Worst make I've ever owned.

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
That is absolutely unreal. That is the way it should always be done!

Tom023
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Looks just like all the Ford assembly plants I used to go through :rolleyes:

JimN
10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Hey Will- is that the way your shop looks?

dog paw
10-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Have you seen the picture of the Touareg plant where the Touaregs are transferred from building to building hanging from a tram wire? Pretty cool.

For all that technology VW still makes crappy cars and has a dealer network that is just about as bad as it gets in the automotive business. Just sold my Touareg and couldn't wait to get VW in my rear view mirror. Worst make I've ever owned.

I'm not that familiar with VW's but a freind of mine who is in wholesale says he cant give a used Touareg away. The ones I have seen seem pretty nice and they aint cheap either.

MCsJCPs
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
it better look good considering the cost of a new one:

MSRP Price Range $66,700 - $101,300

3event
10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
That is one amazing facility ! They spent a LOAD on that facility so I wonder if they are selling enough Phaetons in Europe since they quit selling them here (last I heard,,,,?)

I agree that VW has some issues with quality, as well as cost to repair. My in-laws have a Passat, and its a good thing they bought the extended warranty. Friend has a diesel Jetta, which has required some expensive repair. They have so much potential brand equity, nice looking cars, and hip factor - too bad the quality holds the marque back!

rcnjson
10-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Looks like a great work environment. It also looks EXPENSIVE!!!! They say hardwood floors in a factory can save you money because it is easier on the joints for the employees who stand and walk on the floor all day, and it won't damage a part if you drop it on the floor. I say if it looks expensive, it is and someone has to pay for all that. You can guess who is. I have owned 4 VW's, done a lot of work on them (myself) I don't have any now. They lasted a long time, my last jetta had 260K on it when I ditched it. My VW's were older though, when VW was more about substance than style. They weren't the cheapest cars on the road, but there was quality there. Things like a hefty block and forged engine internals, they ran forever. The block for the gas engines through the eighties and into the nineties was nearly identical to their diesel block for the same time period. What that meant was a really strong block, that is part of the reason I could put 260K on the original motor and original head gasket! The forged guts were also expensive parts that made the motors last. The tranny's were all junk, but you can't have everything. Now VW sells stylish cars with creature comforts and nice leather seats and motors with turbos and PM rods. Yeah, I think they look nice, but if I beat a new one as hard as I beat my old GTI, it wouldn't last for 3 days.
k

rcnjson
10-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah, I also forgot, I really like their commercials too. There was one a few years ago, when VW had just introduced their all wheel drive. There was a guy in his car doing dougnuts down the street and he is kind of thinking to himself... what was that about when the one wheel slips the other wheel grips...

I am a huge fan of the "Representing Deutschland" ads. You know where the guy from Fargo is "unpimping" rides.

Their radio ads are good too. Something about how this car sounds like a cat that has been vacuum cleanered.

Those crafty Germans, not really known for their sense of humor, who knew.
k

Tom023
10-07-2006, 08:27 AM
My first new car was a 1979 Scirocco, put 200K miles on it and all it needed mechanically besides routine maintenance was a water pump and exhaust manifold gasket, never even replaced the clutch or turned the rotors. It's all the little things that break that make owning a VW difficult. When my sister bought a 1995 Jetta I told her to be prepared for everything breaking, from window regulators to the sunroof, and I was right.

Aside from not getting that stuff right, the Germans still make damn good driver's cars.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-07-2006, 09:34 AM
WOW! how DO they keep it that clean????

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
WOW! how DO they keep it that clean????
New cars and parts that make them up aren't dirty!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
New cars and parts that make them up aren't dirty!
I know but, man there is always oil and stuff on the machinery that builds them and that makes grime and dirt.

Farmer Ted
10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I wonder if you could get this engine with a powerslot

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/PanEuropean/w12_1.jpg

Roonie's
10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
They said there is never even a drop of oil on the floor....... That is impressive. It almost like a kit car that you just have to snap the pieces together. Is it made of lego's?

dougl
10-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I've got a 99 Passat and wish they would have spent more on quality than the nice looking assembly plant.

rcnjson
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
My first new car was a 1979 Scirocco

My first car was a '77 scirocco, I didn't drive that long then I got my GTI (that was an '85). Then, when I was 18 I got a 1987 16 valve scirocco which looked really fast and added the sizzle of another 25 HP's over the 8 valve GTI. I thought that thing was really fast, and I drove it that way too. Two speeding tickets eclipsing the posted speed by 40 MPH or more (96 in a 55 and 81 in a 35) is proof. Then I had to drive around without a licence for awhile. I figured that the scirocco was too much so I bought a jetta that I drove for years. That jetta was a real pooch though so I got a mustang to satisfy the fix for speed and keep my local law enforcement agency in buisness...
k