PDA

View Full Version : Front ballast bag fill full of air - what's going on???

prostar205
10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
The front ballast bag on my '02 X30 only gets about half full of water and the rest of the space is full of air. I know the bag has 2 vents on the top that exit on each side of the boat thru thru-hull fittings. My original thoughts were that the vent tubes were blocked. I got my shop vac out and blew air back into the ballast bag from each thru-hull fitting. The bag blew up without any restictions.

Could there be a flapper valve on each vent tube preventing air from escaping but also allowing air to come in?

Why are there 2 vent tubes on the front bag?

This is the '02 OEM Yellow Ballast bag if that makes any difference. If I can't get it to fill completely, I am going to remove it and replace it with a Barefoot International Pro X Tube Sac.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Are the 2 vent tubes on the top of the back but towards the rear of the boat? I had the same issue with our former '02 X10. The vents being in the back of the bag is kind of the issue. Water fills up towards the back and then moves forward due to the natural pitch of the boat. This ends up 'plugging' the vent lines and doesn't easily let air out.

Things to try:
1) Fill up center (yellow) bag first. Maybe it will pitch the nose of the boat down and most of the air will 'rise' to the vent tubes.
2) Makes sure you remove as much air as possible from the bag BEFORE filling. Mine would fill up with air just by trailering down the highway.
3) Hold your foot on the bag while filling to trap the air bubble towards the back of the bag.
4) Make sure as little residual water is left in the vent lines. It is actually pretty difficult to push out that column of water. I would actually force all the air/water out by rolling up the bag after emptying (this would also help #2 issue above).

I'd say #2 above is the best thing to make sure of. The less air in the bag to begin with, the less you'll end up with.

Hope this helps.
Paul

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Oh...to answer your direct questions, from my experience.

No valve on the center bag vent lines. I can almost guarantee water get's trapped in them tho.

Why 2 vent lines? I don't recall if the supply line is a larger diameter than the vent lines, but that could be it. Also, the center bag is more likely to burst under pressure than a hard tank, so maybe they were guarding against bursting in an overfill situation? I don't exactly know.

prostar205
10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Paul -

Thanks for the ideas.

I do exactly what you suggest - remove as much air as possible when draining.

Yes, the two vent tubes are at the rear of the bag on the end facing the rear of the boat. I think you are 100% with your statement that the vent tubes get water in them and that is what plug them. I guess I could go with a bag, like the BI Pro X bag that has the vent in the top of the bag and let gravity do its thing.

Thanks for all the great insight.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-06-2006, 02:03 PM
If you want to try something before you spend the $$ try rolling the bag up and 'burping' the remaining air/water out the vent line. Just leave it rolled up in the compartment until it's next use. If that's too much of a hassle then the Pro X bag will probably work nicely. I have them in my rear compartments and love them.

prostar205
10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I will try that. The boat sits on a boat lift all season so I don't have to worry about the sac filling up with air when I trialer it. As soon as I lower it into the water, I fill up the bow sac first.

I, too, have the ProX bags in the rear that took the place of the hard tanks. Those hard tanks only held 175 lbs of water and took up alot of space. My new ProX bags hold 750 lbs on each side of the engine. It takes a while to fill them up using the stock Jabsco pumps but the payoff is worth it. The surf and wakeboard wakes are great.

NeilM
10-06-2006, 07:38 PM
PS205, I sometimes have exactly the same problem. In addition to getting the air out before starting to fill (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread), what I discovered is that one of my one-way valves was letting air into the pump if it had a chance to dry out completely.

The other thing I discovered is that if you try to fill while travelling faster than about 1600rpm, the pumps will get air.

(BTW, I always fill the centre ballast first, too, to help with the 'vent lines at the back' problem)..

Pump a little water (maybe 15 seconds worth) into the centre bag.
Pump it back out. This gets water past the one-way valves in the discharge lines -- when you start filling again, they'll seal and not allow air past them. Presto - centre ballast bag full of water, not air.

.. worked for me..

André
10-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Neil!!!:wavey:

prostar205
01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I just removed the center ballast bag and found that both vent lines were full of water. I am ordering a custom ProX bag with one vent line towards the front ofthe boat and the fill valve will be at the rear of the bag in the bottom - identical to its location in the stock bag. I don't think I will need 2 vent lines. I will use the other thru-hull fitting for an additional bilge pump outlet.

Diesel
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I just removed the center ballast bag and found that both vent lines were full of water. I am ordering a custom ProX bag with one vent line towards the front ofthe boat and the fill valve will be at the rear of the bag in the bottom - identical to its location in the stock bag. I don't think I will need 2 vent lines. I will use the other thru-hull fitting for an additional bilge pump outlet.

Not too sure how true it is but I was told MC put in 2 vents because they feared the ballast puppy had the potential to burst the bag with only one vent. I don't really see it happening but I could not come up with any other plausible explination.

prostar205
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't think I have to worry about those Ballast Puppies bursting the ProX bags. The inlet hose is 1.25" diameter, while the 2 vent hoses are .75" diameter. My guess is they put two vent tubes in because they knew there was a potential of one getting clogged with water when filling.

Diesel
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't think I have to worry about those Ballast Puppies bursting the ProX bags. The inlet hose is 1.25" diameter, while the 2 vent hoses are .75" diameter. My guess is they put two vent tubes in because they knew there was a potential of one getting clogged with water when filling.

My boat came from the factory with ProX bags and they still had two vents. :confused:

prostar205
01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Diesel -

Does the 209 have a ski locker sac? If so, what is its dimensions? My ski locker is HUGE. It is almost 80" long. Are the fill and vent valves on the same end of the bag?

Diesel
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Diesel -

Does the 209 have a ski locker sac? If so, what is its dimensions? My ski locker is HUGE. It is almost 80" long. Are the fill and vent valves on the same end of the bag?

Yep ski locker in the floor. Probably not as big as your though. I am not too sure what the dimensions are. I would say it is really close to the size of a W704 which is 10x16x62. Fill/drain at the center bottom and the vents are on the front top. Here is a pic

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4715/dsc01067r0xj.jpg

prostar205
01-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Diesel -

My lovely IS department has blocked the link that has the picture. Can you email me the jpg to the following address?

thoward@korry.com

Thanks,

Tom