PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Trailer????

prostar205
10-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I am planning on leaving my boat on the lift for the winter in a covered slip with heaters in it.

My question is: what special things should I do to the trailer for the winter? It will be up at on a buddy's property. I plan on removing all 4 tires and wheels and leaving the trailer on wood blocks. Is there any thing else I should do?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Grease the bearings, winch, and jack and check the brake fluid.

prostar205
10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Eastie.

I have oil bath bearings so no need for that one - right? The rest of the suggestions are great.

Jerseydave
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I am planning on leaving my boat on the lift for the winter in a covered slip with heaters in it.

My question is: what special things should I do to the trailer for the winter? It will be up at on a buddy's property. I plan on removing all 4 tires and wheels and leaving the trailer on wood blocks. Is there any thing else I should do?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Just curious, why remove the wheels/tires? I would leave them on, they will keep some excess dirt/snow off your calipers. You could use tire covers to keep them out of the sun, which could dry-rot your tires sooner.

Are you going to winterize your boat's cooling system, or at least drain it just in case of a power outage? Careful with gas fumes while using a heater in your boat.

vogelm1
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks Eastie.

I have oil bath bearings so no need for that one - right? The rest of the suggestions are great.

Everything is cool if the oil looks OK. If it's "milky" there is water in there, and the axle seal is leaked. Besides greasing the jack, and checking brake fluid, I also pull off all the light connectors and hit them with a shot of dielectric grease to keep the contacts clean and free of corrosion.

boatless
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Don't forget to lock it up. :D

prostar205
10-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Just curious, why remove the wheels/tires? I would leave them on, they will keep some excess dirt/snow off your calipers. You could use tire covers to keep them out of the sun, which could dry-rot your tires sooner.

Are you going to winterize your boat's cooling system, or at least drain it just in case of a power outage? Careful with gas fumes while using a heater in your boat.

I live in Seattle - we rarely see snow here. I will probably cover the calipers and discs with some type of plastic bag loosely placed over the hubs.

Regarding the boat, yes, I will do a full winterization to the boat while it is on the lift. The device I am using is a dehumidifier/heater.

bbeach
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
wax the trailer and cover the bunks...

Carbon Dreams
10-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Double Cover the winch after oiling the ratchet. Do the same with the axel ends if you have brakes. Plan on replacing all your bunk carpets unless they are covered. Seattle is Rainy, as you know. ;) Move on down to Bend where there are real winters... Enjoy!