PDA

View Full Version : Video Cameras

Rockman
10-06-2006, 12:11 PM
I am in the market for a new video camera (one I have looks like one the TV stations use to film the Ground Hog Dat event :D ) so just wanted to see which cameras everyone has and what the pros / cons are.

I would be using it obviously for skiing shots but also chasing the little one around the house and capturing her first steps, etc. I would like to have the ability to quickly hook it up to my laptop and upload the footage (pun intended) to view.

I would like to get a medium to high end camera but not spend a ton of money on something that will be a fossil in 2 years.

Thanks in advance for your help!

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Our mini-dv was reasonably priced and serves us well. Were I looking to replace it, I would be looking at one of the cameras that records to a 30+ gig hard drive. The mini-dv cameras upload to the computer at 1x speed. That's been the biggest drawback of our camera.

Also, get one of the ones that has 3CCD or whatever.

Rockman
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
The one we were intially looking at was this one.

Not sure if this is a real basic one or ???

Sony MiniDV Handycam Camcorder with 2.5" SwivelScreen Color LCD Monitor
Model: DCR-HC36

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7602659&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15195&id=1130982552719

justinlkgb
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm unsure as to the cost, but this I can tell you. I have a min DV recorder w/a flip open screen, works great a friend of mine just bought a camcorder that records to a hard drive. The difference was like TV off the antenna(my cam) to HD TV(hard drive). The images on the PC are soooooo nice. I think it was a sony appx $700. Hope this helps somewhat:twocents:

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 02:31 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7602659&type=product&productCategoryId=cat15195&id=1130982552719

If you're okay with 1x upload to the computer, this will be a good camera I'd bet. I've had older Sony cams and they do the job well. Many of the mini-dv's I've seen have had problems with low light situations, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other. Again, if I were buying one today, I'd investigate one that writes to a hard drive pretty thoroughly.

Tryin-again
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM

That's the one that I have - Aside from the things that Eastie say - I have had great luck with mine....

When I am guiding hunts it stays in my pocket in cold, hot, some moisture and gets beat around alot... that;s all day for 4-6 weeks a yr..... I'd have to say it's a good piece of equipment....

I carried my first sony Dv-8(?) like that for about 8 yrs.. rubbed all the paint of it and it still works.. I just wanted the newer - more compact one.. The only issue that I had was at the coast one time after sitting in an AC hotel room and then going out on the patio in 85-90 degree w/ 100% humidity - it wouldn't function...-- I just set it in the sun (opened) for 30 min. and all was good....

I hope that helps.....

bigmac
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm unsure as to the cost, but this I can tell you. I have a min DV recorder w/a flip open screen, works great a friend of mine just bought a camcorder that records to a hard drive. The difference was like TV off the antenna(my cam) to HD TV(hard drive). The images on the PC are soooooo nice. I think it was a sony appx $700. Hope this helps somewhat:twocents:

If you're talking about the Sony SR1, that is HD-capable and will resolve 1080 lines, roughly twice what a miniDV will resolve. The SR1 is $1600, though.