PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Parts Questions

shaivism
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Has anyone used the Rotech rotary steering system? The package includes the bezel/helm/cable. When I talked with the MC dealer they indicated just the cable is all that needs replacing. I can get the steering system for $120.00 compared to just the cable for $141.00.

Feedback wanted!

pilot02
10-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I've not used the system you mention but recently had to replace the helm and cable in my tristar due to a rudder base failure and my overtorquing the steering which broke a tooth in the helm. It was Labor day weekend and since I couldn't get the original helm and cable I purchased one of the "universal" models only to find it would not fit properly in my dash and would be more work to install than it was worth. I ended up ordering the correct parts online from Boater's world and spent 2.5X's the money but I'd rather have done that than fight the installation with the cheaper parts and not know if the steering was as solid as original.

beatle78
10-14-2006, 04:42 PM
pilot02,

what did your steering feel like? My steering is kinda tight, expecially when I turn to the extreme left and right. I greesed the cable and rudder and still tight. (I have a hard time making a tight turn b/c the steering is that hard)....

I don't know how to tell if the rudder base is bad or the steering cable is bad?