PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Prop

moabtj
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
As luck would have it, I let my wife drive the boat this past weekend and I went to get the pickup to unlanuch the boat. and well she managed to hit a ground, right around the launch ramp. The prop has a few bends in it, but not real, real bad. I would like to us that one as a spare and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a new prop?? Maybe even stainless???

mrG
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I never seen a Stainless prop on one of these boats. I don't know why but there must be a reason.

For a spare I keep a regular OJ 13 prop in the boat. I went through skidim and got the kit that includes the puller, wrench, and all the doobers that go with it. It also came in a cool padded carrying case.

That way if I ding the prop I'll have spare while the other one is in the shop.

92 190 PS
10-06-2006, 07:48 AM
I would read the post below on prop choice....If I were you I'd look at the newer CNC'd props and go that route. I still have the original OJ and don't have a reason to change, but if I do I'm going with one of the newer ACME or OJ's..The issue with stainless on these boats is that if you do get into something there is a higher liklihood that you'll tear up your shaft and gears...I'd rather replace a prop than get into all that..From what I understand there isn't the performance difference with direct drives and stainless that there is with IO's..Good luck with your decision...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103133&postcount=3

causewayskiier
10-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Yes you can get a stainless prop for inboard ski boats, I have one myself, but I use it for a spare. Stainless props have some advantages, but in my opinion the disadvantages outway them. The advantage is that you can hit small submerged things such as clamshell, small gravel, etc. and there will be less damage to the prop than if you have a nibral prop. The disadvantage is if you hit something more substantial ie. logs, larger rocks, etc. you may bend the shaft also which is substantantially more expensive and a bigger job to replace. Good luck, I would just repair your old prop and keep it for a spare and get a new nibral replacement.

peason
10-06-2006, 07:49 AM
The reason you don't' see Stainless props is because if you hit something with SS it will do a lot more damage. You will most likely throw your shaft out of balance and it could even screw up your tranny if you hit it hard enough. The nibral prop is a "sacrificial" offering to the water gods.

BrianM
10-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Go with a CNCd Acme or OJ XMP 3 blade. You will not be disappointed. Better performance and extremely smooth runnning. It is about the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do to the boat.

Jerseydave
10-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I have the OJ XMP 4-blade on my Maristar and I love it! Great holeshot with lots of low-end grunt even when I have 9-10 people in the boat.

I use my SS as a spare, I'd rather sacrifice my prop instead of the shaft.

ski_500
10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I have a stainless prop on my Prostar because I had the nibral prop fixed too many times, it was time for a new prop. I've been running the SS for 3 years now. The only problem I've had was almost exactly what you described. Back in May we were loading the boat on the trailer. The ramp at the campgroud that was new to the wife. She didn't know about the rocks to the side:( ... I found out the prop guys charge the same to repair stainless as nibral. Fortunately there was no shaft or transmission damage.
If I was in the market for a new prop today, I would get one of the CNC'd nibrals. :twocents:

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Like others have said, the CNC'd nibral props are very good and may (I stress may) spare the rest of your drive train if you hit something. I wouldn't run SS unless I was on a private lake 100% of the time with an extremely high likelihood of not hitting anything. Even then, I'm not sure if the performance advantages (like you would see on runabouts) would top the new CNC'd props.