PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 Fast Idle Issue?

caliguyinTN
10-05-2006, 06:07 PM
The past two visits to the lake my 96 PS 190 w/the LT-1 seems to be idling faster than normal. Its at about 1000 rpms and the oil pressure is right in the middle. I know before this past weekend the oil pressure as slightly less than that . I dont quite remember what the RPM were when i bought the boat in August but the tell tale sign is when we are idling, quite a bit more water is spraying/splashing up from under the swim step from the exhaust. Any ideas on what has changed on the engine or what needs to be adjusted to get the idle back to normal.

JLeuck64
10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Check the throttle linkage to make sure it is returning against the stop.

Check to make sure there are no air leaks. All the air entering the engine has to go through the throttle body only.

Jorski
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
The past two visits to the lake my 96 PS 190 w/the LT-1 seems to be idling faster than normal. Its at about 1000 rpms and the oil pressure is right in the middle. I know before this past weekend the oil pressure as slightly less than that . I dont quite remember what the RPM were when i bought the boat in August but the tell tale sign is when we are idling, quite a bit more water is spraying/splashing up from under the swim step from the exhaust. Any ideas on what has changed on the engine or what needs to be adjusted to get the idle back to normal.

When this happened to me it turned out that there is a small black rubber hose on the top of the engine on the port side that had disconnected. It apparently is supposed to be attached to the PCV valve. Take a look, if this is the case, just push it back on.

When this is disconnected, it allows too much air into the intake manifold producing increased idle.