PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Friday

Brent
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Just Saw this on Schnitz's site,I have no Idea what happened.

Official Statement from the Singapore Waterski & Wakeboard Federation

Dallas Friday was admitted to the Changi General Hospital on Sunday 1 October 2006 and underwent surgery on 2 October 2006, Monday morning to treat her left thigh bone fracture. According to the hospital, she is currently in the intensive care unit being treated for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Her condition is critical but stable.

We are doing our best to ensure that Dallas and her family are being provided all necessary medical care and support. We are also working closely with the hospital, monitoring her progress. Further updates will be provided as and when information is available.

Ms Friday's father and brother are currently with her in Singapore. Her father, Mr Robin Friday, would like to take this opportunity to thank all her fans and well-wishers for their concern.

Hope She gets well soon !!!

Archimedes
10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Somebody wanna do the 'Monday called and they want their post back' joke or would that be bad taste? ;)

See MYMCs thread of a few days back.

TMCNo1
10-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Somebody wanna do the 'Monday called and they want their post back' joke or would that be bad taste? ;)

See MYMCs thread of a few days back.

Here you go,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12170

ski_king
10-05-2006, 04:37 PM
More info on this thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/375273.html?1160057131

You will even see a post near the end form MYMC's better half.

Our prayers are with her on a quick recovery.

88 PS190
10-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Femur breaks hurt tons, I feel for her. Nothing like surfacing with your foot floating by your head. shudder.

Archimedes
10-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Ahhh the memories. Right ankle by my left ear...

Yes a femur break hurts just a tad but what's worse is something called a 'traction splint'. Or at least having one bolted from your crotch to your ankle for 10 hours before surgery.

88 PS190
10-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Ahhh the memories. Right ankle by my left ear...

Yes a femur break hurts just a tad but what's worse is something called a 'traction splint'. Or at least having one bolted from your crotch to your ankle for 10 hours before surgery.

while they find the orthopedic surgeon, and schedule your surgery for the next morning, while leaning over to see if you're alright.

atleast I got internal fixation couldn't stand it if i had to stay on that for any time, my ski was still on the leg, i assume yours was too (same right ankle left ear, spiral fracture near hip)

Hope this discussion really gets you guys feeling for dallas.

Archimedes
10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
while they find the orthopedic surgeon, and schedule your surgery for the next morning, while leaning over to see if you're alright.

atleast I got internal fixation couldn't stand it if i had to stay on that for any time, my ski was still on the leg, i assume yours was too (same right ankle left ear, spiral fracture near hip)

Mine was a motorcycle accident; high sided into a stand of trees on my track day bike during a Sunday morning ride in the mountains with some friends. 4 hours taped to a back board, 10 hours in a traction splint, the last two of which at least I had morpheine to ease the pain. I had a four part, non-union butterfly fracture. Really bad experience all the way around. The only good thing about it was that I immediately realized what had happened and before I could lose my nerve, I grabbed my leg and pulled it back around to the general area it should have been naturally. Hurt like hell but at least I didn't have to stress over it.

88 PS190
10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
yea i grabbed mine and pulled it into a squatting posistion (pretty easy in the water) then I almost puked. Boat ride back to the dock through white caps, onto a piece of plywood, into the back of the van and then 49 minutes to the hospital in the town. Spiral fracture, also 4 pieces.

Guys this bone is a big one!

Did she really get surgery overseas? that's pretty gutsy.

T Scott
10-06-2006, 08:40 AM
This article appeared on in todays edition of the Orlando Sentinel:

Photo gallery: Dallas Friday
ON THE WEB
More Adventure coverage
ABOUT DALLAS FRIDAY

BACKGROUND: Competed in gymnastics for five years before becoming a professional wakeboarder at 13. Attended Boone High.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Won gold medals at the X Games in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Won her record fifth consecutive professional women's national title this year. Won her second world title in three years last month.

SOURCES: Darla Friday, Sentinel archives, dallasfriday.com.

RELATED STORIES
Mother details injured wakeboarder Dallas Friday's condition
Star wakeboarder Dallas Friday in critical condition
Oct 3, 2006

Orlando's Dallas Friday, the world's best women's wakeboarder, was fighting for her life in a Singapore hospital Thursday, almost a week after being injured while performing a complex jump during an international competition.

The 20-year-old developed acute breathing problems after surgery Monday to repair a broken left femur, which she fractured in several places while performing a "whirlybird" during the final event of Sunday's 2006 Wakeboard World Cup series in Singapore.

"I just have to believe that she's going to be fine, or I couldn't make it through the day," her mother, Darla Friday, said via phone from her home in Orlando. "With lots of prayer from throughout the world, my faith carries me through every day. And I know that Dallas is strong. She's a strong-willed girl.

"But Dallas right now is truly fighting for her life. It's been ups and downs the last several days, good news and not so good news. But we've got to believe she's going to be OK and will pull through this."

Friday is breathing with the aid of a tube. Her older brother Robin Friday Jr., who witnessed the accident, is with her as well as her father, Robin Friday Sr., who flew to Singapore after the accident.

Darla Friday isn't sure why her daughter developed what the Singapore Waterski and Wakeboard Federation called "acute respiratory distress syndrome." She said doctors initially thought reservoir water had gotten into her daughter's lungs.

For years, Friday -- who attended Boone High -- has been competitive wakeboarding's most recognizable female face. Blessed with movie-star looks and a daredevil's flair, she has helped the sport gain a wider audience.

Wakeboarders follow boats, just as water skiers do. But instead of using skis and flying off man-made jumps, wakeboarders strap their feet to a board and use the boat's wake as a launching point.

"This is like the dream girl of wakeboarding," said Friday's first coach, Mike Ferraro. "She's carried the flag for women's wakeboarding. She's taken it to another level."

Few women's wakeboarders attempt a "whirlybird," a back flip as you hold on to the rope and rotate 360 degrees.

"It's such a weird injury," said wakeboarder Maeghan Major, who witnessed Friday's accident. "It was one of those crashes where you definitely went, 'Oh, that hurt.' But you'd never expect something like that to happen."

Friday began her pro wakeboarding career when she was 13, after five years as a competitive gymnast. From the outset, Friday wanted to push boundaries, seeking to jump higher and try more difficult tricks, Ferraro said.

"There is nobody like that kid; nobody that is stronger-willed or more of a fighter," Ferraro said. "The biggest problem they're going to have is keeping her in that bed with a broken leg."

Friday has overcome injuries before. Last year, she broke a vertebra in her back. She previously broke another vertebra, tore ligaments in her ankle and had arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in her left knee.

"She's basically a pretty laid-back individual until she gets back on the water," said Chris Bischoff, the tournament director for the Winter Park-based Pro Wakeboard Tour. "When she gets on the water, it's like something switches on, and it's something she was born to do."

Friday has a Web site, dallasfriday.com, but it hasn't been updated with news about her injury. Earlier, a visitor to the site asked whether she worried about injuries.

"In any sport," Friday wrote, "you are one injury away from being a spectator, but I love the sport so much I try not to think about it."