PDA

View Full Version : Teak versus fibreglass

frankb
10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
What are the pros and cons of the two swim platform materials, ignoring the additional cost of the fibreglass option?

MarkP
10-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Teak Looks good..

sanjuan23
10-05-2006, 11:48 AM
IMHO I think a teak platform is what sets comp boats apart from other boats. Just my :twocents:

bigmac
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Fiberglass looks good...

bkblaida
10-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I have fiberglass, positives are; it is maintenance free, matches the boat, durable (does not scratch when hit by fins etc) usually larger than the teak. Negative is the amount of flex if you stand in the center. Given a choice I like the fiberglass.

boatless
10-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Well,

This summer, I switch out my teak for a fiberglass. Teak is larger and more forgiven when being hit with skies or wake board. The first day I got my fiberglass plat form, my neighbor ding it with his wake board and chip the plat form. :rolleyes: Fiberglass plat form is also easier to get scratch. But for me, I like the look of the fiberglass plat form more than a teak.

boatless.

6ballsisall
10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Teak all the way............

As said above, it's somewhat of a heritage thang for Comp Ski boats. It looks GREAT!! Granted their is some maintenence involved (very little if you just do 5 minute upkeep)

Fiberglass, cracks, and scratches easily from skis.

We almost bought a new 197 earlier this season, it had a matching fiberglass platform on it. We told the dealer no dice unless they put a new teak one on it. :D

Archimedes
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I have fiberglass, positives are; it is maintenance free, matches the boat, durable (does not scratch when hit by fins etc) usually larger than the teak. Negative is the amount of flex if you stand in the center. Given a choice I like the fiberglass.

Surprised to hear you say it doesn't scratch. I thought this was the big drawback of the fiberglass platform. Everytime I see one on a boat, it looks chewed up by ski/board fins.

I just bought a fiberglass platform to go with my teak because I just think it looks more integrated with the boat and lower maintenance. Keeping the teak as a backup.

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Teak; cause I like to feel it

6ballsisall
10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Teak; cause I like to feel it

Staristar likes to feel the wood! :D

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I like to polish my wood.

Teak wood, that is

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
where the hell is Gene when I need him?

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Is this thing on???

Hello?

bkblaida
10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Surprised to hear you say it doesn't scratch. I thought this was the big drawback of the fiberglass platform. Everytime I see one on a boat, it looks chewed up by ski/board fins.

I just bought a fiberglass platform to go with my teak because I just think it looks more integrated with the boat and lower maintenance. Keeping the teak as a backup.
We have a 97 prostar 205 and while there are a few minor dings / scratches it still looks like new. There is a foam pad in the center that absorbs the fin hits. I have to agree with the comment that teak is softer and does not show minor scratches however no complaints with fiberglass.

6ballsisall
10-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I like to polish my wood.

Staristar Steve, you scare me ALMOST as much as Hoosier Bob! :D

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Staristar likes to feel the wood! :D

Oh Boy - I can see where this thread is going!!! :D

michael freeman
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
There was some issues with tracking black rubber back into the boat due to the rubber pads on fiberglass platforms oxidizing.

I bought teak with no regrets

east tx skier
10-05-2006, 12:21 PM
The upside of the fiberglass is that you don't have to oil it. The downside is that you don't get to oil it.

If I purchased a boat that didn't have a teak platform, I would replace it. Just my personal preference.

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Doug must keep an arsenal of pictures of his boat ready for "just such an emergency"

Nice work Doug

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Staristar Steve, you scare me ALMOST as much as Hoosier Bob! :D

I'll try harder then. Like the new avatar?

east tx skier
10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Doug must keep an arsenal of pictures of his boat ready for "just such an emergency"

Nice work Doug

Indeed I do. :)

TMCNo1
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
The upside of the fiberglass is that you don't have to oil it. The downside is that you don't get to oil it.

If I purchased a boat that didn't have a teak platform, I would replace it. Just my personal preference.

I always oil my wood before I polish it!

Maristar210
10-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I always oil my wood before I polish it!

I'd say it's absolutely essential:D

bigmac
10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Certainly it's a matter of personal preference. From my own perspective, I don't get the concept of heritage relative to teak on a ski boat. IMHO, modern ski boats with long, low, lines, curved windshields and a swooping tower- I think a teak platform just looks anachronistic.

I get chips along the lower edge of my fiberglass platform, fixed with some edging, but even with the chips, it looks better than most teak platforms I see, which are generally some shade of streaked grey. A worn and un-cared for teak platform makes an entire boat look bad, IMHO.

In 2003, 2004, and 2005, MasterCraft's supplier for the rubber insert changed the formulation without telling MC. The result was tracking black stuff that rubbed off that rubber all through the boat. MasterCraft reportedly fixed that. They are replacing that rubber on warranty.

JohnnyB
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
With skis and wakeboards on them all the time, platforms take their scratches and dents....I couldn't imagine dealing with fiberglass. When I get scratches, I sand and oil and they disappear. If you like to put your skis or boards on standing on the platform teak is the way to go IMHO.

RobertT
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I love the look of fiberglass, but would not sway from my teak. Many of the new wakeboard fins are stainless steel and sharp. I worry about my gelcoat, and know that I would forever be telling people not to stand on the platform with their board on. No way.

Also, I use my platform as a bumper. There are several metal docks around my lake that just LOVE to scratch boats. I pull up to them to pick up friends, and simply swing the back of my boat around and back my teak platform up to the dock and they jump on. If it hits a little, no big deal.

By the way, you don't have to oil teak. Mine is gray, gray, gray. Never been oiled. I just use it, powerwash it now and then, then use it a little more.

Not as "cool" looking as fiberglass, but WAY more functional.

Archimedes
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
My fiberglass platform just came last night and I'm gonna mount it up this weekend. I'm curious to see how it compares to the teak. I love the teak for strength and durability, but don't love the look of teak on this type of boat. Just think it looks out of place with the rest of the styling. I do plan to keep my teak and use it for those weekends we hit the lake with a lot of people and kids and I know it's gonna take a real beating. Of course, my dealer misaligned the brackets on my teak platform when the installed it so I literally have to hammer it on and off with a mallet each time, so that kinda blows.

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 02:28 PM
My fiberglass platform just came last night and I'm gonna mount it up this weekend. I'm curious to see how it compares to the teak. I love the teak for strength and durability, but don't love the look of teak on this type of boat. Just think it looks out of place with the rest of the styling. I do plan to keep my teak and use it for those weekends we hit the lake with a lot of people and kids and I know it's gonna take a real beating. Of course, my dealer misaligned the brackets on my teak platform when the installed it so I literally have to hammer it on and off with a mallet each time, so that kinda blows.

A couple of my screws holding the bracket to the teak had worked their way over causing my platform to be impossible to take out. I removed one bracket and it came off with ease. I purchased some teak plugs online. I drilled the old holes out a bit and rinsed them with mineral spirits (teak is an oily wood).. I used a q-tip to get that all out. Then I squirted some epoxy into the holes, dipped the plugs with epoxy and pounded them in with a rubber mallet. After everything dried, I sanded down the epoxy that remained on teh surface and put the platform back on. Then, I marked the hole patter on the bracket I'd removed, drilled some pilot holes and reset the screws. It comes on and off with ease now.

Archimedes
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
A couple of my screws holding the bracket to the teak had worked their way over causing my platform to be impossible to take out. I removed one bracket and it came off with ease. I purchased some teak plugs online. I drilled the old holes out a bit and rinsed them with mineral spirits (teak is an oily wood).. I used a q-tip to get that all out. Then I squirted some epoxy into the holes, dipped the plugs with epoxy and pounded them in with a rubber mallet. After everything dried, I sanded down the epoxy that remained on teh surface and put the platform back on. Then, I marked the hole patter on the bracket I'd removed, drilled some pilot holes and reset the screws. It comes on and off with ease now.

Appreciate the info, but it just makes me groan to have to do all that on a brand new boat just because they couldn't get it right the first time. That's a project I'll just have to tackle sometime down the line. The last 'repair' I'm doing on my 'new' boat is replacing the windshield top trim my dealer drilled through. I'm tired and I gotta take a break. :o

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I hear you. I do.

But if you'll pardon my saying so, continuing to do it the way you're doing it sounds like a real headache for you (sounds like it already is if you never did it again actually).

For your reference, the plugs are less than $10 after shipping. The epoxy is $3.50. Actual work time (not including epoxy dry time---about a day) is no more than an hour.

Archimedes
10-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Point taken. Hopefully I'll get my fiberglass platform aligned right when I install it and then I can use it for now and fix the teak one over the winter. I'm just finishing up my amp, speaker, remote, tower light install project and I'm all project-ed out right now. Ready for some beer and some football instead of nights in the garage. :D

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. That's mine for the next couple of weekends.

Jerseydave
10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I've had teak before, now have fiberglass. I don't think that I would go back to teak on these newer-style MC's. It just looks more modern, and I don't miss oiling the old teak platform.

For those who don't allow people to put on their ski/board on the platform for fear of damage.......c'mon now! That's what the platform is for.

bigmac
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I've had teak before, now have fiberglass. I don't think that I would go back to teak on these newer-style MC's. It just looks more modern, and I don't miss oiling the old teak platform.

For those who don't allow people to put on their ski/board on the platform for fear of damage.......c'mon now! That's what the platform is for.

Exactly!

Nothing scarfs up a swim platform like hydrofoiling. I have no fear of standing the foil up on the rubber insert of my fiberglass platform, but the way that foil is sharpened it would gouge the heck out of teak.

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
I only put my ski on standing on the platform. It holds up well, but I don't expect it to look like furniture by the end of the season.

jkski
10-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I have had teak platforms on every boat I've owned and love them. At the same time, I have friends that have the fiberglass platforms and at the end of the year, the bottom line is, all I have to do is sand out any little scratches and mine looks new again.
As far as the maintenance goes... I used to apply oil to mine just about every 2 times out, and people always said how great it looked, but that it was slippery. This year, my dealer talked me into trying a product called "Teakworks"(made by the FLOOD Company) and basically, all you do is put it on once and you are protected for the season. Will it scratch, yes, but you simply take a brush and re-touch that area and it blends in. Does it stand-up to sunlight..YES, it does not fade, turn black pr any of the issues you have with teak oil.
Long story short...it is great stuff.

TMCNo1
10-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Teak or Fiberglass, when was the last time you allowed someone to stand on the painted rear bumper of your $60K BMW with golf shoes on?:confused: C'mon now it's just a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 02:00 PM
We bought our 2nd uesd MC from a dealer last week found it on boat trader. Anyway from the pictures we didn t know it had a fiberglass platform. Wasn't shure of the firberglass becasue i guese im just old school and love the teak. The dealer threw in a weathered teak platform due to our uncertainty but wouldn't give us a second par of bacets:( . I think im going to clean up the teak this winter and switch out the brakets from the fiber glass platform. It bugs me that the fiberglass likes to bend in the middle and flex. Plus we have to dogs that just love the water (golden retiervers) and the pad on the fiberglass is not holdong up the their nails...

~Sam

Archimedes
10-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Just opened the box with my fiberglass platform. It's 5 inches narrower (front to back) than my teak one. What's up with that? Thought it would be the same size. Looks tiny. Gonna try to mount it up tommorrow. Hope they didn't send me the wrong one.:(

Mi.mc
10-07-2006, 03:43 PM
should've gone for the teak

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 04:40 PM
TEAK! :D :eek: 8p

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 04:47 PM
TEAK! :D :eek: 8p

Yes!! Most Definately!!!

bigmac
10-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Save the Rainforest!!!

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Buy stock in TEAK! Build your entire boat out of TEAK! Oil it with synthetic and run Mobil One in the pan! Anything to get BigMAc lit!8p
They say with every MasterCraft sold the opportunity to save 200,000 acres of rainforest vanishes.:o
Ski the rainforest!

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Hoosier Bob]Buy stock in TEAK! Build your entire boat out of TEAK! QUOTE]

Man that is a lot of sanding and teak oil applications to make it shine!

MC at one time had molds from eyewash bowls, that they made traffic direction cones and molds for parking lot wheel stops with and gave them away to the local educational instutitions. They sprayed gray gel coat into the molds and filled with scrap glass, floor sweepings, plugs that came out of hulls and decks for hardware and left over resin for the day. They did this to prevent having to pay extra to send to the landfill, because of the hazardious material authorities said it was. I guess, now they make Fiberglass Platforms with those scraps!

Let's saw BigMac's in half and see what's inside!

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Save the Rainforest!!!

.....................ride a boat owner with Teak!

YOU KNOW, "SAVE A HORSE, RIDE A COWBOY!"

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Im thinken that teak won

bigmac
10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Buy stock in TEAK! Build your entire boat out of TEAK! Oil it with synthetic and run Mobil One in the pan! Anything to get BigMAc lit!8p
They say with every MasterCraft sold the opportunity to save 200,000 acres of rainforest vanishes.:o
Ski the rainforest!

I should point out that my swim platform is entirely synthetic, HB...

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
BigMac, I would expect nothing less my brother! If there is something we can do to not only save the rainforest but protect and secure the rainforest let us know. I do enjoy oxygen and all it represents. I am not messing BM you are wise beyond my years and if we can make a difference it might as well be here. IMO.
Take care,
Hoosier!

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Can Teak grow in Indiana? If so let me know!

bigmac
10-08-2006, 02:39 AM
BigMac, I would expect nothing less my brother! If there is something we can do to not only save the rainforest but protect and secure the rainforest let us know. I do enjoy oxygen and all it represents. I am not messing BM you are wise beyond my years and if we can make a difference it might as well be here. IMO.
Take care,
Hoosier!No sweat HB. To alleviate your guilt, I should tell you that virtually all teak sold commercially is grown on plantations these days.

TMCNo1
10-08-2006, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=Hoosier Bob]Buy stock in TEAK! Build your entire boat out of TEAK! QUOTE]

Man that is a lot of sanding and teak oil applications to make it shine!

MC at one time had molds from eyewash bowls, that they made traffic direction cones and molds for parking lot wheel stops with and gave them away to the local educational instutitions. They sprayed gray gel coat into the molds and filled with scrap glass, floor sweepings, plugs that came out of hulls and decks for hardware and left over resin for the day. They did this to prevent having to pay extra to send to the landfill, because of the hazardious material authorities said it was. I guess, now they make Fiberglass Platforms with those scraps!

Let's saw BigMac's in half and see what's inside!

BigMac, don't get mad at me, you know I'm just razzing ya!

bigmac
10-08-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]

BigMac, don't get mad at me, you know I'm just razzing ya!Harold, it's all in good fun. No worries...:)