PDA

View Full Version : Fuel spraying everywhere!!!!

beatle78
10-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Only had the boat a few weeks and it's been sitting for 1 week. Went for a ride w/ the wife and baby tongiht and the boat ran REALLY rough..... I smelt gas fumes and thought maybe a plug or 2 fouled.....

we came in and I started the engine and looked under the hood to see fuel spraying out in HIGH volumes.

Apparently, the nut that holds the fuel line that runs between both sides of the intake manifold broke...... grrrr.... that could have been a disaster!

beatle78
10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
this is a view of the entire fuel line p/n 786129

beatle78
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
woops, forgot pic....

east tx skier
10-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Have you tightened that or has anyone. Looks like the fuel line connection to my carb. I had someone work on the boat who overtightened it causing it to leak. The torque specs are apparently very specific/touchy on those.

T Scott
10-04-2006, 08:04 PM
What model boat/engine type do you have??

beatle78
10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I've never touched it. Based on the paint marks on the line, I am going to guess that it's never been touched since the factory.

I've only had the boat for ~4 weeks. And there's only 164 hours on the boat

It's a 2001 Prostar 205V w/ the LTR 330HP

djhuff
10-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Actually based on the paint marks, it looks like someone took it off, but marked the position with a marker instead of finding out the torque specs. Problem is, you can't do that. It's probably not set to factory spec.

beatle78
10-05-2006, 07:57 AM
good find djhuff.... question, how the heck to you torque a nut like that?

A traditional torque wrench won't fit....

Also, do I use regular white pipe tape on the thread for the new line?

thanks,
beatle78

MYMC
10-05-2006, 09:42 AM
good find djhuff.... question, how the heck to you torque a nut like that?

A traditional torque wrench won't fit....

Also, do I use regular white pipe tape on the thread for the new line?

thanks,
beatle78
Based on what I am seeing it is a flared fitting so no, no teflon tape or thread sealant. If the fitting is loose tighten it but make sure it is not cracked. Brass fitting crack when over tighten. Also make sure the seat of the flare has not been damaged by dirt or careless assembly. Since this is an LTR I can promise you it has been apart.

BrianM
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Since this is an LTR I can promise you it has been apart.

For the record could you explain this a bit? Just curious and it might be good for someone in the future.

Tom023
10-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't get it either but would like to know...I have an LTR with 250+ hours and it has never not started on the first try or had a wrench to it other than routine maintenance.

MYMC
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't get it either but would like to know...I have an LTR with 250+ hours and it has never not started on the first try or had a wrench to it other than routine maintenance.
Here a sample of items that should be checked:

1) Alt brackets (check and update if needed)
2) Alt fastners (Same as above)
3) Pullies (Determined by belt wear)
4) Harmonic dampner pulley (if above didn't work)
5) Distributor gear (check at each oil change)
6) Oil pressure adapter fitting (check)

(all I can remember off the top of my head)

jmac197
10-05-2006, 12:39 PM
MYMC,

If you have already changed the distributor gear, does it need to be checked that often?

Thanks
Jim

Here a sample of items that should be checked:
5) Distributor gear (check at each oil change)

(all I can remember off the top of my head)

beatle78
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
MYMC,

I don't really know the history of the LTR, but you said, "Since it's an LTR, I promise you it's been apart." ...... what are some of the known problems I should look out for, besides the ones you mentioned above?

thanks,
beatle78

MYMC
10-05-2006, 01:28 PM
MYMC,

If you have already changed the distributor gear, does it need to be checked that often?

Thanks
Jim
No, if it has been replaced with cast iron gear you have no further need to check it.

MYMC
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
MYMC,

I don't really know the history of the LTR, but you said, "Since it's an LTR, I promise you it's been apart." ...... what are some of the known problems I should look out for, besides the ones you mentioned above?

thanks,
beatle78
I'll do some digging, but I beleive I covered most...you can check our site as well I have them all listed there (I need to update the more current stuff but all LTRs are listed I think). Been apart is referring to the dist gear issue.

etakk7
10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Beatle, keep that blower running!

beatle78
10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I called my wife to ask her to take the cover off of it and open all the compartments, now that the sun is out......

I was going to pump water into the bilge to dilute any gas that's in there and let the bilge just pump out the excess.....

sound good to you?

thanks,
beatle78

beatle78
10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
thanks MYMC!

MYMC
10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
thanks MYMC!
No problem. Water won't do it and may make the situation worse...depending on how much and where it goes. Add Dawn dish detergent to the water and it will trap the fuel/oil and allow you to get much more of it out of the boat.

beatle78
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure how much got into the boat. If I put the dawn into the bildge area with water, can I still let the bilge pump do the work of removing the water or shoud I pull the boat out and let the water drain out of the drain holes?

I just called the dealer and they have the replcement in stock, but the mechanic was not there. What are the torque specs for that line? I'm still not quite sure how to torque a line nut like that.....

thanks!

MYMC
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure how much got into the boat. If I put the dawn into the bildge area with water, can I still let the bilge pump do the work of removing the water or shoud I pull the boat out and let the water drain out of the drain holes?

I just called the dealer and they have the replcement in stock, but the mechanic was not there. What are the torque specs for that line? I'm still not quite sure how to torque a line nut like that.....

thanks!
The soap and water will bilge out no problem, just make sure you get all the soap out...or as you get water in the boat you'll end up with a bubble bath. No torque spec since it is a flare fitting...tight is good, just make sure the seating surfaces are clean and undamaged.

beatle78
10-05-2006, 08:59 PM
thanks MYMC. I got the replacement line tonight. Hopefully, I'll get to put it on tomorrow after work :)

thanks for your help

MYMC
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
thanks MYMC. I got the replacement line tonight. Hopefully, I'll get to put it on tomorrow after work :)

thanks for your help
Anytime! BTW, be carefull where you bilge that stuff!

beatle78
10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I will.... I used a whole small bottle of dawn last night.... fortrunately my new boat cover leaks and there was a good amount of water in the bilge to mix with the gas..... so I think I can get a nice diluted mix to bilge out......hopefully :)

beatle78
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM
New Fuel line crossover is in and the boat purs like a kitten once again.....

thanks MYMC!!!

p.s. bilge was a bit sudsy, but it drained nicely.... :) The fish needed a bath anyway

MYMC
10-09-2006, 09:18 AM
New Fuel line crossover is in and the boat purs like a kitten once again.....

thanks MYMC!!!

p.s. bilge was a bit sudsy, but it drained nicely.... :) The fish needed a bath anyway
Nothing better than a happy ending.