PDA

View Full Version : Need help with car problem diagnosis

richardsoncd
10-03-2006, 09:28 AM
My Jeep Grand Cherokee interior lights come on when I shut the car off, and won't turn off until I turn the car back on. I have to pull the fuse so I don't kill the battery. Initially when I found my battery dead, I heard a ticking sound coming from my glove box area. Any ideas before I go grab my ankles at the Jeep dealership? I do know it is not a door sensor because when the car is on, the "door is open" chime doesn't sound. Thanks.

Tryin-again
10-03-2006, 09:36 AM
I got a Ford - So things might be different..but when mine did that I thought the same about the door ajar buzzer...

A buddy who is a better mechanic said it could be the Passenger door if it doesn't buzz... Anyway it turned out to be the switch on the passenger door - telling the system that the door wasn't closed - because the switch was bad Lights stayed on but the buzzer didn't buzz, the door ajar idiot light would sometimes be on - sometimes not.... :confused:

Replaced switch - been good for 5-7 mo now.....

In my case it seemed to happen after rain or car wash for a few days = then clear up - (Water/electrinics still don't mix..)

Good Luck!:twocents:

dog paw
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
My Yukon pulled that stunt once it also turned out to be the pass door switch. It would come on in the garage on its own and drain the batt. It's hard to pinpoint with the dimming feature in the BCM.

Body control modules will fail and pull odd stunts like that also. I am not sure how Jeep works ther creature comforts but pretty much everything runs through a BCM on a GM

richardsoncd
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
So is this a do it yourself, or a dealer fix? The switch thing makes a lot of sense. Someone else said the door light and "ringer" are seperate. Thanks.

richardsoncd
10-03-2006, 04:57 PM
bump.......................

G-man
10-03-2006, 05:30 PM
On a Wrangler the light and door ringer are on fuse 4, my fuse has been pulled for about 2 years.

justinlkgb
10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
:twocents: Had a Jeep cherokee that had the same problem. I just removed the switch, all I had to do was unscrew it and then I cut and capped the wire. Now then this was a P.O.S vehicle so I didn't really care. It didn't get stuck in the mud though. Hows the heater core, mine went out and I had a lot of Anti-freeze on my passenger floor, tough to get to.:twocents: