PDA

View Full Version : X 9 chine walking?

cdcarve
10-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I just purchased a 06 X9. Love the boat - but on smooth water at 36 it wobbles around. It's difficult to drive a straight line. Any ideas?

sizzler
10-03-2006, 08:47 AM
i got nothing......mine is as sound as a pound.........straight as a die

someone will chime in here

Ric
10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
i got nothing......mine is as sound as a pound.........straight as a die I am not sure what sizz just said, but maybe just a bit of rudder trim would improve tracking on that model at 36mph?

cdcarve
10-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Sizzler, does your's pull to the right a little when running?

sizzler
10-03-2006, 10:40 AM
yes......ever so slightly........this normal i believe...

bigmac
10-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I just purchased a 06 X9. Love the boat - but on smooth water at 36 it wobbles around. It's difficult to drive a straight line. Any ideas?

My 2004 230VRS does that a little at about 42-44 mph since I put the 2006 rudder on. It only does it mostly on glassy smooth water.

cdcarve
10-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Mine doesn't pull at all. I guess I'll shave the starboard side of the rudder a little. It is quite wiggle - like it's wagging it's tail. Hope I can get rid of it. Big Mac what did the 06 rudder do for you? What is the best tool to use to shave it?

6ballsisall
10-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Is this your first inboard ski boat?

bigmac
10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Mine doesn't pull at all. I guess I'll shave the starboard side of the rudder a little. It is quite wiggle - like it's wagging it's tail. Hope I can get rid of it. Big Mac what did the 06 rudder do for you? What is the best tool to use to shave it?

The 06 rudder made the boat more nimble. The steering effort with the original rudder was rather ponderous and it's much lighter with the 06 rudder.

That new rudder has more area in front of the rudder shaft. That is what has decreased the steering effort because water pressure acting on the front counteracts the water pressure on the back, which is the part that increases the effort. My guess is that at speed there is no pressure and the rudder and the wiggling is allowed due to even a little play in the system.

I suspect you're on the right track in that the wiggling you describe is due to the extreme neutrality of the rudder. My boat doesn't pull either way, but if I found the wiggling you describe to be annoying, I'd start by adding a little pull by shaving the rudder. My boat will NEVER go through a ski course in its entire life, so I don't WANT any pull, though, and the wiggling at high speed isn't annoying enough to do anything about.

In shaving the rudder, a little goes a long way so I'd be cautious. I've seen people describe using a belt sander to that right trailing edge, but I think I'd use a medium coarse file if it was me.

Maristar210
10-03-2006, 11:58 AM

I would strongly recommend you do your homework before you start grinding on this rudder. This alteration should be done precisely and evenly in an effort to eliminate the issues you speak of. I would not do it by hand IMO.

Steve

rodltg2
10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
grinding the rudder is no big deal. use an angle grinder and save yourself some unneccesary hard work. just shave a little off. thats it..

cdcarve
10-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Second, I had a Malibu Sportster for 7 years which tracked great and pulled slightly to the right. I have just never experienced the wobble that the X9 has.