PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

Archimedes
10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Mastercraft-X-Star-22-Like-New_W0QQitemZ130032956868QQihZ003QQcategoryZ63686Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$31k for a near new X-Star? Maybe the scammers are getting tired of getting shut down immediately when they put $7k as the price?

east tx skier
10-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Fishy, but doesn't look like the typicle "Square Trade" scams on ebay with ski/wakeboard boats.

Tryin-again
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Fishy, but doesn't look like the typicle "Square Trade" scams on ebay with ski/wakeboard boats.

What IS the Square Trade Scam??

Edit.. Nevermind - got it figured out...

SD190EVO
10-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Of course it is a scam. That is a 50K boat. Any dealer on this board would love to buy '06 X-Stars for 30K and they can't even do that.

SD190EVO
10-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Plus no phone number. If you really want to sell something wouldnt you put your freakin' phone number so someone could call you and ask Q's.

Archimedes
10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Of course it is a scam. That is a 50K boat. Any dealer on this board would love to buy '06 X-Stars for 30K and they can't even do that.

I agree. Just thought it was interesting that the scammers are trying a slightly different tactic now of pricing the boats above the 'totally ridiculous idiot level' to the 'just kinda ridiculous level'.

endl
10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I though about hitting the buy it now and telling the guy I would be there tomorrow with the cashiers check and see what his reaction is.

SD190EVO
10-02-2006, 03:32 PM
He also has this 50K Malibu listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemcount=3&refitem=130007961630&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&item=130032951895&sspagename=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT

Maybe he just makes his money by selling 60K boats for half price.

east tx skier
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I don't think I'd list my phone number on ebay.

Here's a good enough reason to call it a scam though. It's listed on boat trader (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/2/85958542.htm) for $63K.

beatle78
10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
guys he has THREE boats listed for WELL under asking price.... sounds like a scameroo to me....

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZstuart2124QQssPageNameZ MERCQ5fVICQ5fReBayQ5fPr3Q5fPcNQ5fQ5fSI

etakk7
10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Honestly, I don't think I'd list my phone number on ebay.

Here's a good enough reason to call it a scam though. It's listed on boat trader (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/2/85958542.htm) for $63K.

Nice find!!!

etakk7
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
His last EBay feedback says "Very trustable on expensive items" - and it is a used personal computer, no monitor, mouse, keyboard, or anything, that he got as a "gift"

Archimedes
10-02-2006, 04:57 PM

What, you never heard of 'reverse arbitrage'? :D

RickDV
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Maybe he just makes his money by selling 60K boats for half price.

guys he has THREE boats listed for WELL under asking price.... sounds like a scameroo to me....

I'll bet he loses money on each sale but makes up for it in volume! ;)

Jim@BAWS
10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
I am at home reading this post. I got a call from a JOSH
in Tenn last week inquiring about a orange and white X-1 that
we have for sale. Tenn colors...I think his email address is the
same. Before I say anything else I will double check my
contact back at the dealership...very interesting

Jim@BAWS

rodltg2
10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
well emailed him and told him ill buy both,,

RickDV
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
well emailed him and told him ill buy both,,

I bet if you emailed him and asked for a photo of the hull identification numbers and a photo of the title with the same numbers that you would never hear back from him.

beatle78
10-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Here's my reply from him.... this is a typical scam.....

Hello there and thanks for your interest,
The 2006 Mastercraft X-Star is like new, with no scratches, no marks, no hidden defects.
It looks grea and it's is in excellent condition.
I have only used it for a few times and only in fresh watter .
There are only 45 hours on the boat and engine.
This is a one owner boat and it has a clear title, which will be forwarded to you.
If you are interested in buying it the price is $31,000.00 and I'll cover the shipping cost.

The transaction will go through eBay for our own protection so they act as a neutral third party.
They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the boat in good conditon.
You will have 15 days from the time you receive the boat to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Ebay.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards
Michael

mlange
10-03-2006, 09:59 AM
It's gotta be the same guy that was selling a Reponse LXi a few weeks back. I screwed with him for over a week before he gave up. His first response to me sounded exactly the same. If you move on to the next step he'll give you a bank account with his real name to wire the money to. Doing a quick google on his name came up with a guy in the UK that is being investigated for fraud.

Here's the email I got back from him:

>The 2005 Malibu Response Lxi is like new, with no scratches, no marks,
>no hidden defects.
>The boat comes with a trailer and have perfect pass digital pro,heater
>and tower fold down.
>There are only 40 hours on the boat and engine. It looks great.It is in
>excellent condition, I have only used it for a few times and only in
>fresh water.
>Unfortunately,I must sell it right away to secure a real invest. This
>is a one owner boat and it has a clear United States title.
>If you are interested in buying it the price is USD $20.000.00.
>Curently I am in Europe in a military base but the boat is located in
>US ,will be shipped from there , and I will handle all shipping
>arrangements and costs.
>It will take no more than 10-12 days for the shipping company to
>deliver the boat to you.
>The transaction will go through eBay for our own protection.
>They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the boat in good
>conditon.
>You will have 15 days from the time you receive the boat to inspect it
>and decide if you want to keep it or not.
>If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and address
>so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
>After that eBay will contact you with further information and
>instructions.
>I look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Warm Regards
>
>Kenneth,

Maristar210
10-03-2006, 11:47 AM

If you can find that boat for 50K you should buy it.

Jim@BAWS
10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I am at home reading this post. I got a call from a JOSH
in Tenn last week inquiring about a orange and white X-1 that
we have for sale. Tenn colors...I think his email address is the
same. Before I say anything else I will double check my
contact back at the dealership...very interesting

Jim@BAWS

Not the same guy

IT IS A SCAM

Jim

flyingskibiker
10-03-2006, 04:03 PM
i too have received THE SAME email reply on a MC a long time ago. i messed w/ him for about 4 emails. but they sound the same as has been described above. this guy (and others) must not be having much luck. before, he has listed them outside of ebay motors. now, he's trying to be "smarter"... not cool!

OhioProstar
10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Look at the trees in the background of the Bu and the trees in the background of the Bass Boat he is "selling" and you will see they are in completely different locations. Why I noticed that I don't know..maybe I have watched too many CSI's.

Bruce
10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
He makes it up in volume!