PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed performance on a Barefoot 200

TxTex
10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I recently bought a Barefoot 200. Its a great boat, all the power I need. I can wakeboard easily at around 20MPH even though it is a tad touchy to keep at that speed consistently. I also have an Air Chair which needs to be pulled in the 12-15MPH range. Is it my imagination or is this boat not designed for that speed? It is very difficult to keep at that speed and it is on the verge of coming off plane. I am considering putting one of those StingRay wings on the motor to give the rear more lift at slower speed. Anybody done this?

thanks
Fred

nuckinfutz
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Is this the plastic wing that bolts on the outdrive?

Forgive my ignorance, Im not too familiar with that particular boat. If it is the wing that bolts on the outdrive, I have heard that the plastic wings add vibration. Not to mention that you have to drill holes to bolt it down.

TxTex
10-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes. I had one on a previous Sea Ray outboard and it worked well, but that boat was a 135HP and a bit underpowered for a good hole shot. It make the rear of the boat pop up quicker and you get on plane faster. I don't have power issues, I am wondering if it would lower the planing speed of the MC.

Hoosier Bob
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I do not know if available but a good speed control will probably solve your problems not to mention just make boating that much more enjoyable. Even my 190 is very hard to keep at speeds that low. Once I set my speed control it is a dream at any speed. :twocents:

nuckinfutz
10-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Do you have room on your transom for trim tabs instead? There a little more expensive, but you can do a litte more with them like even out the boat for uneven sitting positions.

I had the same issues with my Maxum and explored the options. I found 2 major manufactures for trim tabs. Both have pretty good product from what Ive found.

Lenco (electric) is a little cheaper and in my mind seems like a better idea. No hydrolic fluid to tend to.

http://www.lencomarine.com/

Bennet makes a stronger Hydrolic solution.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

I know the Lenco offers the all the way up postion when key is turned off and return when key is turned back on.

Another key to this is that you can raise them to get your speed back without changing your original performance.

TxTex
10-02-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a small platform on each side of the motor, I am not sure if trim tabs would fit under it or not.

cbryan70
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
a hydrofoil will work alot better it will allow your boat to plane much quicker and give you alot more handling go with a duel fin..those have been around alot longer and from what i hear they work better. and they work with basically any outdrive. Many of the sting rays will be a huge pain in the but to fit on different motors they SAY unversal but not so much

TNH2oSkier
10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
The foil will probably be your best bet. Your boat wasnt made to go that slow.

88 PS190
10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Its difficult with outboards to hold speed in those ranges, though a speed control should get you opperating and holding speed the engines don't have the same water hold due to prop size and the torque range is a bit wrong for low speed hold.

ctkiteboarding
10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
ck out bobsmachine.com he makes a great set up , i have it on my outboard and i love it,, it will slow the top speed down but the benefits outway the drawbacks in my case R