PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Adaptor for Outboards

Never2old
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I know the people at Perfect Pass say they don't make a system for Outboard motors but really it's just a matter of building an adaptor for the system to attach to the throttle arm/cable of the motor.

About three years ago I built an adaptor that allowed me to install Perfect Pass on my 1998 Mercury 200 Hp EFI. I’m not guaranteeing this will work for other motors but I’ve looked at the Yamaha and there doesn’t seem to be too much of a difference in the throttle set up. The Perfect Pass system is based on a spring return of the motors own throttle arm, in their directions they talk about adding a spring to the system is it doesn’t respond quick enough. I don’t have any problems with this but I thought I’d mention it.

The adaptor was very easy to build as long as you have a vice and a drill press. If not, still can be done, just a little more finesse to hold the metal to drill and tap the holes needed. I’ve attached a sketch of what I built had to keep it sideways so that the dimensions would stay as large as possible.

Never2old
10-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Adaptor: I built the adaptor out of 3/8" x 5/8" key stock material. Before making any cuts you need to drill a ½” hole, 1” from the material end and 3/8” up from the “bottom” of the adaptor. Then drill a ¼” hole 5/8” from material end and 3/16” up from the “bottom” of the adaptor, this hole sets over the stud of the throttle arm of the motor. Once drilled, you cut the material at 1” from the material end, thereby providing you a half circle that the throttle cable sets in. Now you need to drill a 1/8” hole length ways into the adaptor, centered on the ½” hole you first drilled, 3/8” up from the “bottom” of the adaptor, this hole is for the Perfect Pass cable to slide through. Next you need to enlargen the 1/8” hole to accommodate a 6mm x 100 tap (I don’t remember the drill size) You only enlargen the first ½” of the hole. That completes the adaptor.

Anchor Bolt: Now you will need to a ¼” bolt with a 3/8” shoulder that you can cut off so that you have 3/8” of shoulder remaining. Next you need to drill a hole through the center of the bold length ways with a drill bit sized for a #6 set screw tap, once again I don’t remember the bit size. Once completed, drill a 1/8” hole perpendicular to the previous hole, across the bolt width, that intercepts the set screw hole. This hole is for the Perfect Pass cable slide into.
Drill a 1/8” hole into the end of the throttle cable that is attached to the throttle lever at the consol, the Perfect Pass cable will be threaded through this hole to connect to the anchor bolt.

Final Step is to shorten the thread portion of the Servo Cable Jacket that came with the Perfect Pass system to approximately 5/8” and will attach to the adaptor.

Never2old
10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I mounted the servo motor on the back of the engine just above the cylinders. It seems to ride well there and doesn't get wet. I used a piece of 1” aluminium angle about 6” long and bolted it up to the plate across the back of the engine where the voltage regulators are mounted.

The set up utilizes the two foot cable housing with a slightly longer cable than comes stock. When ordering you may ask them for a slightly longer cable to accommodate the reach required to go through the adaptor to the ¼” anchor bolt.

The module is a standard module, no special setting from Perfect pass every thing wires into the existing Mastercraft consol, I replaced one of the speedometers so it looks like factory install.

rodltg2
10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
thats pretty cool, how well does it work?

Never2old
10-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Works great, where I use it the most is when I'm pulling wakeboarders. You do have to change the Kw and N settings to be more responsive with less inputs, otherwise the system is slugish. This also could be the fact that the lake I go to is at 6,000 ft elev.

rodltg2
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
the guys at PP arent interested in your system?

Never2old
10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
I think their worried someone will try to put the system on an under powered boat and they will get stuck with battling returns, along with I don't think they want to make even more adaptors for motors than they already are. I did sent the sketches to "Randy" when I first installed in case others wanted to set themselves up but I guess he wasn't interested.

I do have a problem with the system once in a while, since I mounted the system on a Powerstar 200, the paddle wheel had to be mounted beside the tracking fins which are located just under the pilon. As a result, when it's just my wife in the boat, the paddle wheel will come out of the water when she first hits it, if she doesn't back off a little bit after I'm up to let the paddle wheel in the water, the system will never take over. Boats without tracking fins would be no problem to move the paddle wheel mounting point further back assurring contact at all times.

rodltg2
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
im surprised they are not into it. that leaving money in the table. sounds like your on to something you should maybe pursue..

ctkiteboarding
10-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I do have a problem with the system once in a while, since I mounted the system on a Powerstar 200, the paddle wheel had to be mounted beside the tracking fins which are located just under the pilon. As a result, when it's just my wife in the boat, the paddle wheel will come out of the water when she first hits it, if she doesn't back off a little bit after I'm up to let the paddle wheel in the water, the system will never take over. Boats without tracking fins would be no problem to move the paddle wheel mounting point further back assurring contact at all times.

im thinkin the fat sacs that we are using, will keep the boat in the water to allow the paddle to contact the water comntinuously????

Never2old
10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't have a problem with the paddle wheel getting out of the water when I'm wakeboarding, only when I'm on a slalom. My son this past summer wasn't paying attention when he pulled me up and had me going about 45 mph, decided to try a cut, what a mistake, hardest fall I took in many years. When I came across the wake it was like hitting a wall on the second wake. Not a good choice.

ctkiteboarding
10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
sounds fimilar, but my girl is the driver on this end , i will need to get this set up installed before next spring , thats if i want to continue in my relationship ,,,, im thinkin the wakeboard version would be what im looking for we split up the fun about 70/30 wakeboarding to slalom

Never2old
10-02-2006, 09:10 PM
There really is no difference between Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro unless your going to be doing time in a slalom course, atlease according to Randy at Perfect Pass. Where Perfect Pass makes the biggest difference is in the wakeboarding speed control. the outboards don't seem to hold speed as well as the inboards when going slower. I wouldn't do a boat without it again. Although my boat is about the perfect all around that I've been in, lots of room and a nice wake for most any sport. I put about 1200 lbs of ballast in when wakeboarding with a little trim on the motor makes it just right.

ctkiteboarding
10-02-2006, 11:20 PM
same , i love this boat, slalom or wakeboarding,,,, 550 sac in the ski locker and friends or if its 3, we add another 550 under the back seat the wake is lippy for sure , 1 knee and 1 concusion to prove it (not me) ,,, i will be contacting randy and if i could bounce some install Questions off of you that would be great,, R

Never2old
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
No problems with questions, one word of caution is in the paddle wheel install, you need to make sure the it doesn't hit the stringer when drilled. I used a 1/8" bit to start with to make sure I had the right spot. Let me know how it goes.

ctkiteboarding
10-03-2006, 08:26 PM
will do, im going to try to get the system in a few, ill drop ya aline when i get into it thanks R