PDA

View Full Version : 2002 prostar 209 speedo problems

woodyfor
10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Last time out my speedo would work for a while then go back down to zero then back upto ski speed. Any sugestions on how i can fix?
thanks
Kelly

JohnnyB
10-01-2006, 08:24 PM
If it is a pitot-tube style speedo (I think it is, but am not positive), take a small needle or pin and clean out the tip of the pickup -- there's probably something wedged in the opening. I used to keep a small safety pin in the glove box on my 92PS190 to clean out the pitots.

If it's a paddle wheel style, I'm at a loss and will be interested in the advice of others:D

Never2old
10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I know the newer units utilize a paddle wheel for their speedo's, you may check yours, if it does I'd guess that you need a new shaft for the paddle wheel or a new paddle wheel assembly. The paddle wheel is either sticking or your loosing the signal from the sensor.

Good Luck

DanC
10-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a loose wire problem. But I would start with the easiest thing first, the paddle wheel.
I would start with pulling the paddle wheel and cleaning it. It can be easily removed from the inside of the bilge, just unscrew the outer ring. Next I would check the connector that is near the paddle wheel, follow the wires from the paddle wheel. It should be tied up in the wire bundle within several feet of the paddle wheel. This connector sometimes gets dirty and corroded from water in the bilge (MC has issued some service bulletins about this). Pull it apart, clean it, put some dielectric grease in it.

jmac197
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a loose wire problem. But I would start with the easiest thing first, the paddle wheel.
I would start with pulling the paddle wheel and cleaning it. It can be easily removed from the inside of the bilge, just unscrew the outer ring..

Make sure the boat is out of the water first.....:D

DanC
10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Make sure the boat is out of the water first.....:D

Actually I have pulled the paddle wheel out while the boat is in the water. On my paddle wheel there are two spring loaded flaps that close over the hole after you pull the wheel out. While not water tight, they slow the water flow down enough that I can inspect the wheel, reinstall it and have only taken on an inch of water.
Althoug it does have a certain "pucker" factor :D

woodyfor
10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi guys
Thanks for the great responce to this problem. The speedo is a paddle wheel type so i will try the suggestions and let you know what i come up with.

Cheers
Kelly

bigmac
10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
IIRC, there have been some problems reported on the earlier boat implementations of the paddlewheel speedo wherein the wiring, and more importantly the connector plug, lay too low in the bilge and consequently fail from laying in water that inevitably accumulates. I remember reading some of those and checking my own, noting with some relief that my whole speedometer wiring harness that connects the paddlewheel, especially the connector, is well suspended attached to the bulkhead well out of the low point as it crosses to the paddlewheel.