PDA

View Full Version : Tipping for Dog Trainer

JohnnyB
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
OK, I should probably post this on a gun-dog discussion board, but don't belong to any.

I sent my new puppy (now 7mos old) to an upland/waterfowl hunting trainer for seven weeks. It cost me a little over $1,000 but was worth every penny. I duck hunted with him for the 1st time this weekend and the little guy is a stud....as good as many dogs that are 2-3 years old.

Anyway, when I picked him up from the trainer, I was unsure of whether or not to tip him for his services....he did an awesome job. Any thoughts.

I'm thinking of sending him a picture from this weekend along with a dinner gift certificate and a sporting goods gift certificate but don't know how much in $$ is appropriate. :confused:

whitedog
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
JonnyB,
I work with several gun dog trainers, while they do not expect a tip anything is always apreciated and will make you more welcome next time you use his training services. Any amount from 5 to 10 % is about right. If you use a guide with a dog 15%-20% is customary. I guide upland birds in the fall and find that a typical amount.

FWIW the picture of the pup in action a a thank you will mean more to most anyways.

JohnnyB
10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks Whitedog!

Can't wait to get Jr. out Pheasant hunting this fall!!! He's got the basics down pretty well.....needs some work on hand signals.

Where do you live in WI?

What area do you guide for?

whitedog
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Whitedog!

Can't wait to get Jr. out Pheasant hunting this fall!!! He's got the basics down pretty well.....needs some work on hand signals.

Where do you live in WI?

What area do you guide for?

Monroe.

I guide at a couple of clubs mostly late season. Have English setters. If you get to central of sothern part WI shoot me a PM for more info.