PDA

View Full Version : Told by a dealer that an X-1 is too small for a 38k acre lake

beanboy
09-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Is that true? When I asked why I shouldn't consider the X-1 he immediately replied that it was simply too small for a lake that size and wanted to sell me an X2 or X15. I assumed he meant the X1 would just be a little rough riding, but he went even further to imply that it might be dangerous, given the waves you can encounter on larger lakes (with bigger boats), etc.

This seems absurd to me--would any of you guys hesitate to get an X-1 because your lakehouse was on a large lake? The lake is only like 15% populated anyway, and there are not many large boats.

Parker

east tx skier
09-30-2006, 10:57 PM
I'd say you know the conditions on your lake better than most. It's not the size, it's the motion of the ocean. I can't imagine that either of those two (surprise more expensive) boats would be head and shoulders different than the X1 as far as handling "big water." Sounds like sales BS to me, but I'm admittedly not familiear with the new X2 or X15. Where in the Southwest are you?

erkoehler
09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
What kind of conditions do you experience on the lake? Do you commonly get more than 1-2 foot chop? If not, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an X-1....it is an awesome boat!

Shoot, we have a 2006 X-1 used that I'll sell you :)

Hoosier Bob
09-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Best way is to test drive the ride. I have had my 17'9" SN out on the Chesepeake doing what it did best (crabbin') in 9' waves! I made it home but bilge was fried, watch, and almost anything electronic! There are lakes in Indiana that I go out on in my 190 that can be very troublesome but if you drive accordingly and get your bow up most are acceptable. The goal is to be safe so some time monitoring the water during peak time may be well spent. Test all boats being considered during peak time! Any boat will do before 8:00 AM and if that is the only time you will be using it who cares!
Take care and good luck!

Hoosier Bob
09-30-2006, 11:07 PM
PS. Be careful what Erk says! You should have seen how he tried to sell Stevo137 on the X-Stars slalom capabilities!:o

beanboy
09-30-2006, 11:08 PM
It's Lake Richland Chambers near Corsicana in TX. Just got the house a few months ago, so not much experience about chop yet. But definitely does not appear to be as rough as some of the other large lakes that are more wide-open (like Texoma).

I agree that from the beginning it smelled like salesman BS

east tx skier
09-30-2006, 11:08 PM
I regularly run my 93 205 across a lake that is 26,800 acres to get to the river. Sure, there are times where it is too rough, but that's usually because there's a storm rolling through. Sure, 38k acres is bigger, but at what point is it just damned big? If a 93 205 can do it, an X1 can do it.

east tx skier
09-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Ah, North Texas dealer eh!

beanboy
09-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Yea, I'd rather not say which dealer...they seemed nice and open otherwise. Which made me especially curious as to why he'd push so hard away from the X-1.

erkoehler
09-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Yea, I'd rather not say which dealer...they seemed nice and open otherwise. Which made me especially curious as to why he'd push so hard away from the X-1.

Because the X-1 is not as expensive as an X-15.....he probably gave you pricing but just basics the x-15 is like 20k+ more than a loaded X-1.

Hoosier Bob
09-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I know a guy up around Chicago that can help you out!;)

erkoehler
09-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I know a guy up around Chicago that can help you out!;)

Are you cheating on me HB?8p

wakebrdr142
10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Because he can make more money on the other 2 boats I would assume. If this is true I would probably find another dealer.

Archimedes
10-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Is that true? When I asked why I shouldn't consider the X-1 he immediately replied that it was simply too small for a lake that size and wanted to sell me an X2 or X15.

Three possibilities. One your salesman's an idiot. Two, your salesman is trying to sell you the most expensive boat he thinks you'll buy. Three, he used a poor choice of words.

Is an X-1 great in heavy, heavy chop, no, but neither is over half the MC line of boats. No way is it 'unsafe' for a big lake by definition. I've had my new X-1 out in everything from glass to very rough conditions. I've been really surprised by how good it is in the rough stuff and even in the worst chop it wasn't 'dangerous'. Any boat can get into trouble if the lake turns rough enough.

I used to take my Prostar 190 out on Lake Conroe (28000 acres and gets very rough) outside Houston every once in a while, and more than once I got caught out in huge swells. Was it comfy? No way. Did I ever feel in 'danger'? No way.

If the lake's a real rough one, you may want to consider the X-2 instead. Or you may want to find a smoother body of water to ski on.

Leroy
10-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Beanboy, I think you need to think about what you are going to do with the boat as the primary activity. If you go out at 6AM and ski thats one thing, go out in the main channel on Sat/Sun may be different. I don't know the lake you are talking about. One of the best lakes in Tennessee is ~28k acres and is a paradise to all boats, but can be very dangerous for smaller boats if you are not careful.

beanboy
10-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Lake is defintely not excessively rough. It's 38k acres, but shaped like a V with long fingers, so its not like a huge main body, its two long fingers that are relatively narrow (compared to its overall size).

Basically I'm concluding it was just typical pushing to buy a more expensive boat. No big deal.

Archimedes
10-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I'll bet if you said "well, I can't afford anything Mastercraft but an X-1, so I guess I better head over to the Sea Ray dealer and look at a runabout", that X-1 will suddenly become a great open water boat in the eyes of your salesman.

Hoosier Bob
10-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I was referring to you! Help him out Eric but remember he is a brother! Take advantage and I may have to park one of your boats!8p Are you cheating on me HB?8p

erkoehler
10-01-2006, 12:21 AM
I was referring to you! Help him out Eric but remember he is a brother! Take advantage and I may have to park one of your boats!8p

I sent him a few emails. :) Only used boats to those parts though!

Hoosier Bob
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Is there really such a thing as a used MC? I thought they were all just broken in? Never broken one yet!

nuckinfutz
10-01-2006, 12:25 AM
beanboy,
I definatly agree with hoosier bob on this one. Test the boat you are interested in.

I live near a lake (Lake Washington) that is rather large and does have the 120 foot boats that cruise at top speed and make the huge rollers. I have never had the problem myself, and have seen the X1 out there as well under the same conditions not capsize or make any puke and jump off. If you were to live at my lake Im sure you will not have any issues. You mentioned your lake does not have the big boats so it seems youll be fine.

Might be tough to replicate bad conditions this time of the year since the yahoos who create these issues are probably done for the year and called it a season.

Davo
10-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I'll bet if you said "well, I can't afford anything Mastercraft but an X-1, so I guess I better head over to the Sea Ray dealer and look at a runabout", that X-1 will suddenly become a great open water boat in the eyes of your salesman. lol...yep.

6ballsisall
10-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Uh..........lame excuse from the salesman. :rolleyes:

Jim@BAWS
10-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Is that true? When I asked why I shouldn't consider the X-1 he immediately replied that it was simply too small for a lake that size and wanted to sell me an X2 or X15. I assumed he meant the X1 would just be a little rough riding, but he went even further to imply that it might be dangerous, given the waves you can encounter on larger lakes (with bigger boats), etc.

This seems absurd to me--would any of you guys hesitate to get an X-1 because your lakehouse was on a large lake? The lake is only like 15% populated anyway, and there are not many large boats.

Parker

Must be a NEW sales pitch. I'll need to learn that one...
Ask the salesman this...Which boat is longer w/o platform.
ANSWER: THE X-1 The X-1 is a dry ride. The X-2 is wider and fills a need/void for lakes that have a 20 foot limit. The X-2 is going to be more expensive dependin on how it is equipped. Both are awesome
Drive and SKI both.

jeverett
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Dude sounds like a desterate up sell! I use my PS 190 on lakes way bigger than 38acres with no problem.

PendO
10-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Dude sounds like a desterate up sell! I use my PS 190 on lakes way bigger than 38acres with no problem.

Ditto, I use a 197 on a body of water that is 148 SQ Miles ... so it is something like 94,720 Acres ... lame sales pitch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pend_Oreille

Heck, I think UMP uses his 190 on the largest lake of all?

Hoosier Bob
10-01-2006, 01:21 PM
PENDO! I get it!:D

ridehype4life
10-01-2006, 02:30 PM
You'll be fine. Were usually up at 7 in the morning, but take the ocassional cruise in our X1 midday on our lake which gets very rough, and as long as you take it slow you'll be fine.

mitch
10-01-2006, 02:35 PM

It's 38,000 acres, and the dealer is FOS to be sure. The X1 would be fine anywhere an X2 is.

Jim
10-01-2006, 02:42 PM

Parker

WOW! What a sales pitch. I can just imagine what the service department would be like!!!!!

TMCNo1
10-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm glad the salesman never sold trucks, because if you wanted a Ford, 4 Door, F350 Doolie, he would have told you it was too small for today's highways and that you needed to buy a Kenworth Semi-doubleclutching-mothertrukin'-tractor trailer truck!

billr
10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Harold: Just think how cool you would look driving that "Kenworth Semi-doubleclutching-mothertruckin'-tractor trailer truck"!!

TMCNo1
10-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Harold: Just think how cool you would look driving that "Kenworth Semi-doubleclutching-mothertruckin'-tractor trailer truck"!!

:eek: :uglyhamme UGLY!

blackbeauty02
10-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree with everyone that you can make it on any lake with just about any boat if your a good enough driver and are very cautious and safe. But my mom's boyfriend is the head attorney for the GRDA at Grand Lake and he's told me not to bring my boat (PS 205) b/c it is too small. I've heard this from several people that nothing but a 23 foot or above boat is safe. I know I could take it down there and be fine going out early morning and boarding and maneuver through the chop during the day to get to the party coves. But I really wouldn't want to try it though with people I love and care about on my boat. It's really easy to get swamped in a smaller boat

ski36short
10-01-2006, 07:11 PM
This is all pretty funny. On the other hand, long ago I had a salesman tell me that a Tige 20fslm or whatever their little slalom boat is would be OK on Lake Erie... I didn't believe him and bought my first MC instead and it did *fine*.

UMP runs his 190 on Superior too. That's gotta count for something!

SteveO
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
BeanBoy,

Welcome to the board. You will be FINE with an X1 on Richland Chambers. One of the guys I board with traded his 209 for an X1 earlier this year and is a regular on Richland Chambers. All 3 boats (X1, X2 and X 15) will be fine on that lake. It comes down to what you prefer and what you want to spend. The X1 when equipped similar to the X2 may not be as broad a gap as the sticker indicates. If they have any 2006 X 15, that may be your best buy.

RexDog1
10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Test drive the X1 you will love it
In my 2005 X2 I have been in some heavy rollers what helps is to put
The front ballast bag Ĺ full and the back ľ full
You will be amazed how much it helps out
I donít know of the front ballast bag comes standardKGB ballast system
On the X1 but it is well worth it