PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to Winterize in Southern Cali?

statenine
09-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Well I took my last day trip this morning and it seems to be that time of the year....my questions is do I need to winterize down here in southern california? What do the other SoCal'ers on this site do for the winter season?

erkoehler
09-30-2006, 03:32 PM
How cold does it get? I would ATLEAST drain the block, but is it worth it to you not to winterize?

Andyg
09-30-2006, 04:40 PM
It all depends on how long your layup will be. If it is a month I would just add stabil to the gas. If it is more than that I would winterize it. Since you don't have to worry about freezing in So Cal I would do everything except drain the water. I would change the oil, tranny fluid, fog the engine, add stabil to the fuel and remove your impeller.

JimN
09-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I would do it. My cousin lived in Menefee and in Dec of '92, the pipes froze in her house and soaked everything. We were all up in Temple City for Christmas and when I got up that morning, it was 29 F. If it's sotred in a garage, the temp will take longer to get that low but it could still happpen. If the boat will sit for any length of time and the temperature is higher, it still needs clean oil, fogging and disconnected battery.

rodltg2
09-30-2006, 09:14 PM
you shuld be able to ski year round!

Ryan
10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
you shuld be able to ski year round!

Winterize? Winter is my on season in So CA. What city are you in and what body of water do you ski/ride on?

The answer depends whether your nightly low temperature is sub 36 deg. and whether you are storing outside. My dad didn't think he needed to winterize his 23' Century - in Palmdale where it snows a couple times a year. Then we found the block had cracked - after we hauled it to Montana. The lowest temp I've seen in HB is 40 degrees and that never lasts longer than one night. That was the same wierd weather year a tornado hit my house.

Point is, wierd weather can surprise you. If you are not going to use the boat for a few months and you are nervous of freezing levels you might as well winterize or heat your garage on freezing nights. If your weather is like mine - I wouldn't worry about it. However if laying it up for a few months do what Andyg recommended.

bigmac
10-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd winterize. It's about a 5 minute job with a socket wrench and a nut driver for the raw water and circulating pump hoses. Dump some Sea Foam in the gas tank.

6ballsisall
10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
If it was me and I was putting my boat up for a while. I'd at the very least do a full lube job. Change oils and lube the upper end. Then since it takes all of 30 seconds, drain the block. I'd think you would be just fine by doing all that. Oh. don't forget to Stabil the gas tank!

statenine
10-06-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks guys. I live in Lomita, just north of you Ryan....only about 20 min away. How do I fog the engine? I am not sure what that is.

east tx skier
10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Just lift up the flame arrestor while the engine is running (on some sort of water source for cooling), and spray fogging oil liberally into the throttle body. You can substitutes Marvel Mystery Oil if you can't locate a good spray. Do it until it smokes really good and kill the engine. Some remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into each cyinder as well.

Ryan
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
thanks guys. I live in Lomita, just north of you Ryan....only about 20 min away. How do I fog the engine? I am not sure what that is.
Straight up PCH right? Do you put into Marine Stadium? I've seen two American Skiers in there an yellow Avanti open bow and a blue closed bow with the black stripe down the bow - just curious if either of those are yours.

statenine
10-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Straight up PCH right? Do you put into Marine Stadium? I've seen two American Skiers in there an yellow Avanti open bow and a blue closed bow with the black stripe down the bow - just curious if either of those are yours.

Yep I am right off of PCH. I do go to Marine Stadium but have not been there with this boat yet, so that wasn't me.