PDA

View Full Version : engine hatch material

Rich_G
09-29-2006, 11:10 PM
just picked up a project boat, a 99 205V with a long list of needed upgrades. The first will be some interior repair.

The single piece engine hatch is broken in the middle; I need to make a new one and then either put a new skin on, or have it recovered.

Anybody know the type of material used to build one of those? This one has a cut out in the middle for the air intake; that's where it broke.

Rich_G
09-29-2006, 11:12 PM
there are many more projects to follow

T Scott
09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Looks like a great project. It is amazing what new interior and some buffing/waxing will do! What type of tower is on it? I think it looks good!

Rich_G
09-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I think its an early Skylon Tower; its OK but would not have been my first choice. This one is designed to come apart in several places, the top section comes off, except this one had cracked at one of the top joints but has been welded solid on the two back posts. The front legs will still detach. I am going to add a bimini; cut down a bimini frame I already have.

Anybody have ideas about what type of material, and where to get it, for the back hatch?

billr
09-30-2006, 11:11 AM
It's made of some type of honeycombed aluminum. But where MC gets it from I have no idea..

mpm32
10-02-2006, 11:32 AM
You can get honeycombed al from www.mcmaster.com

Rich_G
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
this one is not aluminum; the floor panel is aluminum, but the hatch is made out of some type of dense plastic foam. You can't tell from the picture, but the yellow plastic is encased by a black plastic sheet (feels like tar paper)

As a liner, there is black netting on the underside just for looks. This hatch has a cut out for the air intake, otherwise the hatch would not close completely. There is supposed to be some hard material up inside the cutout level with the foam padding on the top side. I will have to replace that.

I am weighing my options. Rather than rebuild the whole thing, I may just add a reinforcement layer on the bottom side. Maybe one more layer of this same stuff or something similar. How would I bond it? I don't think I want screws or bolts. Something that would make a strong water resistant bond. There is so much surface area it should work if I use the right type of adhesive, right? Any ideas?

BTW, I am going mainly for functionality, not a beauty contest. I live on a lake and let my teenage kids use the boat. Maybe down the road I could do a complete restoration with all new vinyl.