PDA

View Full Version : Location of Amp

Archimedes
09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Trying to mount my amp and intended to put it on the inside wall of the storage area behind the spotter's seat, but the amp is just too big and heavy for that spot IMO. It'll be difficult to wire and tune from there, and I don't think the mounts will hold over time.

Any problem with just mounting it to the floor along the inside part of the storage area?

Other than making sure I've got spacers under the amp for cooling, anything else I need to worry about? Anything under there that I need to be worried about? I'm gonna just drill about 1/4" so I can start the screws for the spacers; can't image that's a problem, but really don't want to screw something up.

djhuff
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
I would personally keep it off of the floor. On mine, I cut a plywood panel to go along the outside wall and mounted the amp to that. All the wires go behind the panel and it looks very clean. Cover it in carpet and it looks factory.

kalanic
10-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I had the same problem. I looked at an install by "quicyfirefighter" & came up with this. It has worked out great, no problems at all with water or overheating of amp. The amp is 29-3/8"x10-1/2"x2-3/4, its pretty big & kinda heavy.

RexDog1
10-02-2006, 09:34 AM
My amp is on the side wall 2005 X2

kalanic
10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I have one there too, I had to go to the opposite wall form my additional amp.

RexDog1
10-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I was looking adding one more amp for the tower spk. I was going to turn
The amps vertical side by side, your amp might be to long to do that? :cool:

kalanic
10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah, I looked at that. Way to long.

Archimedes
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
My amp is on the side wall 2005 X2

Which amp is that? I'm doing the M6450 and it sure seems like it just ain't gonna hold on the wall given it's weight. I was planning 4 screws into the inside wall through the spacer wood and then four screws to mount the amp to the spacers. I'm just concerned about it ripping out.

There's also a big bend in the wall on my 06 and it's not gonna sit flush unless I use a wider spacer up front.

jmyers
10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
This is in my X-9 mabey it will help, I have 3 amps and the satelite box mounted!:confused:

Diesel
10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Here is another option.....

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4667/dsc016518ny.jpg

kalanic
10-02-2006, 01:26 PM
That is a sweet idea with the carpeted wall you built! Nice work as usual Diesel!

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Here are mine mounted to the inside wall (walkway side) of passenger (flip-up) storage.

In our former X10, we had one mounted to the backside of the front seat like jmyers does. Just a hint if you mount one there...make sure to mount it high enough the the mounting screw don't poke out into your bottom seat cushion.

RexDog1
10-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Which amp is that? I'm doing the M6450 and it sure seems like it just ain't gonna hold on the wall given it's weight. I was planning 4 screws into the inside wall through the spacer wood and then four screws to mount the amp to the spacers. I'm just concerned about it ripping out.

There's also a big bend in the wall on my 06 and it's not gonna sit flush unless I use a wider spacer up front.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=262 (http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=262)

Yes It is a JL Audio Amp #6450M

I am going to add one more just for the tower speakers this winter,
Works well, but it get hot so I am looking into a fan

I hade no problems with it pulling it out :cool:

Archimedes
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I tried that exact spot and couldn't get the amp to lay flat on the mounts, given the bend in the wall. No matter what I tried, one of the amp mounts would be well off the spacer. Finally gave up and mounted it on the floor.

kalanic
10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Try using plexi-glass as a back mount to the amp, the glass will flex quite well. I had the same problem attaching to the inside of my rub rail.

SteveO
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Rex, Amen on the JL's Heating up. I added these fans this spring as the 209-X9 has no ventilation holes to feed air to that area. I have the 6450 for Sub and boat speakers and the 300/2 is for my tower .

kalanic
10-03-2006, 04:02 PM
The heat problem is why I went with Precision Power with built in fans. It gets pretty warm behind the observers seat.

Archimedes
10-03-2006, 04:08 PM
The guy who sourced my amp, who's one of JLs original dealers, told me that powering the sub is what heats up these amps really high. He indicated that since I'm just doing component speakers, the 6450 should not get overly hot. Plenty of room for a fan if needed though.

Archimedes
10-03-2006, 04:08 PM
The guy who sourced my amp, who's one of JLs original dealers, told me that powering the sub is what heats up these amps really high. He indicated that since I'm just doing component speakers, the 6450 should not get overly hot. Plenty of room for a fan if needed though.

RexDog1
10-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Rex, Amen on the JL's Heating up. I added these fans this spring as the 209-X9 has no ventilation holes to feed air to that area. I have the 6450 for Sub and boat speakers and the 300/2 is for my tower .

Are those Stinger fans? I was thinking about using them

How do you like the 300/2 for your 4 tower speakers?

SteveO
10-04-2006, 01:54 PM
You are correct sir... Not sure if this is where I got them, but it is a source. http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1331967/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
One other 'experience' I want to share...

Soon after installing my amps, I had the unfortunate experience of driving into an unexpected hellacious downpour...without my cover.

Anyway, when I went to power on my stereo that night I got nothing expect bass (which is powered by the Hifonics amp). Feeling around, I had water coming out the bottom of the Clarion amp! :eek3:

I 'learned' that the glove box isn't really sealed and water dripped b/w it and it's fiberglass cutout directly onto the amp.

The Clarion amp is marinized and it worked the next morning after it dried out.

Archimedes
10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
One other 'experience' I want to share...

Soon after installing my amps, I had the unfortunate experience of driving into an unexpected hellacious downpour...without my cover.

Anyway, when I went to power on my stereo that night I got nothing expect bass (which is powered by the Hifonics amp). Feeling around, I had water coming out the bottom of the Clarion amp! :eek3:

I 'learned' that the glove box isn't really sealed and water dripped b/w it and it's fiberglass cutout directly onto the amp.

The Clarion amp is marinized and it worked the next morning after it dried out.

Yup. Since I'm mounting mine on the floor (on 1" spacers), I'm also gonna make a cover for the amp when it's not in use. When i was under there installing the amp, I noticed how easy it would be for water from the glove box and the cup holders to drain right onto the amp. I understand my JL amp isn't so 'marinized', so I don't know if it would survive as well as your clarion.