PDA

View Full Version : Carrying reserve fuel on board

Bruce
09-29-2006, 03:11 PM
I thought long and hard before asking this question. No doubt I will get 20 lashes.
Has anyone found a SAFE container for carrying a few gallons of gas for that rare time you run out? Of course my MariStar 230 VRS has all that nice space in the engine compartment but the potential for big boom is there.
"There is no such thing as a foolish question, only a foolish answer"

Monte
09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm sure the best option would always be to make sure you have enough fuel before leaving the shore, but if you must have a reserve on board I would suggest NO LESS than a fuel cell like the ones used in race cars. you will have to strap it down, but that would help eliminate the big boom factor as they are manufacured to withstand large amounts of heat!!!! Doubt I would put it in the engine compartment...

chudson
09-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Only thing I know about is a plastic tank that's used for outboards but those have a special line connection. Just keep your tank full!!!

michael freeman
09-29-2006, 03:31 PM
I know they make fuel cell bags for off shore use that are designed to be strapped down. I think the size options are too big for your 230 though.

Since the fuel pumps seem to be a little problematic with running the tank dry, I would second the verify you have a full tank before leaving the dock.

Mike

SD190EVO
09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
How about leaving a can in the back of your truck? These are lake boats, how far you 'going out to sea'?

Or better yet, carry a flare gun.

SD190EVO
09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Now I feel bad. I didnt mean to come off like a jerk.

I too like to practice being a good Boy Scout and all but I'd rather swallow my pride and wave my oar over my head for some help because I ran out of gas than char my family to a crisp because I brought along a can of flamible liquid.

What woould be next, bring along cans of rations in case the motor goes out so you dont have to eat eachother? (dammit - doing it again)

DanC
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a couple of 2 gallon cans that are approved for use in the trunk of a car. They are metal and they are full of a stainless steel mesh. I keep a full one in the bow of my boat. I haven't seen them in the stores lately, don't know if they still sell them.

Monte
09-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Boy Scout

Eagle? Post hoe there:D

chudson
09-29-2006, 04:01 PM
The ski stores all sell the portable gas tanks on wheels for keeping in aboat house or in the bed of a truck(secured).

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=31249&fcat=

Monte
09-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Here you go... http://www.fuelsafe.com/marine.htm

Bruce
09-29-2006, 04:54 PM
To those of you who offered some objective solutions --thank you. Perhaps I should have explained that I am not on a lake. I am on a Bayou and there is no Marina. The boat is in a boat house in my back yard. To fill it reqires go to th launch load up drive to town come back launch etc. On occasion I certainly have to do that. Most of the time I am carrying 5 gallon cans to the boat. If my grandkids are here they haul it for me. At 73 their help comes in handy. My reason for wanting a 2 gal. reserve is simple, gas gauges in boats are historcally inaccurate. A SAFE reserve is nice to have. I mentioned the engine compartment and "the big boom" to indicate I had enough sense not to store it there. I am a Capt. with the fire dept. as well as the safety officer. My hope was that someone had seen a marine container that I was not aware of. It would of course go in the open bow area.
To SD190EVO as to your remarks read the last line of my thread. Also your refrence to "chared family" I've personally seen that. I pray you never have to.

rodltg2
09-29-2006, 04:59 PM
i dont know .... but i think i do ....so i cant help...:D

SD190EVO
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Bruce - no excuse but it's Friday and I'm feeling like getting home to my prayerfully never chared family. Feeling a little punchy I guess waiting to get out of here.

You are a lucky man - wish I lived on the Bayou. Good luck!

Bruce
09-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Sorry you're having a rough day. Hope your weekend is a great one there in the mile high city. (I would love to have been there when Katrina hit here==we're below sea level). Guess it won't be long till the "other" ski come out.

Leroy
09-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Interesting situation Bruce, I also have a 230. With ~61 gallon tank it's too bad you cannot just fill it up and not have to worry about this. How about the wheeled gas tanks like below? Would those help keep the boat fuller instead of 2-5 gal at a time?

You could also get an extra permanent below deck tank mounted. but I think to do it right you would need vent and fill hoses duplicated for the extra tank.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0001124&navCount=6&parentId=cat420004&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=perf&parentType=index&indexId=cat420004&rid=

I would be very worried about just putting any can of gas under the deck or anywhere in the boat.

As someone mentioned empty or even very low seems to lead to pre-mature fuel pump failure which is expensive to have repaired.

Bruce
09-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Have considered the gas kaddy and have not ruled it out. The thing that concerns me is dealing with the wgt. In the back of my truck with a liner you're supposed to take any portable tank and put it on the ground to fill. Again it's a safety issue. But to load it filled back into the truck and then unload on the other end is a little tough on this bad back. Maybe if I hit the lottery I can bury a commercial tank in my
yard! Naw, the EPA would nail me. Leroy I appreciate your help.
Bruce

SD190EVO
09-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Bruce -

Thanks for being a good sport. Last thing I want to do is offend a fellow M/Cer (a Malibuer no problem but not my MB bretheren). If I'm ever out there I'll carry a few cans for you.

Obviosly I had a tongue far in my cheek when I wrote but I thought a bit of shock humor was warranted as other new boat owners might read the thread and think, "hey, maybe I should carry some extra fuel" and from a purely objective (insurance company actuary perspective) even you have to agree that the risk of bodily injury involved in carrying the fuel is greater than the risk of injury if caught without fuel.

I think you highlighted your real issue and that is a fuel delivery issue. If you can get that solved, your need for the extra gas is mitigated.

What about an above ground high-capacity tank with gravity plumbing down to the dock? Out here, our petroleum guys deliver for free with a 500 gal order. You shouldnt be schleppin' cans back and forth.

Sorry for being a bad net/MC-citizen.

PS - How are real estate prices on the Bayou since Katrina?

lsupcar
09-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Bruce, as you know my situation is similar to you. I use a Todd gas caddy as shown by Leroy, but without the hand pump. Full, it supposedly weighs about 250 pounds, but is not too hard for me to maneuver except sometimes when the river is low and the ramp to the dock is down hill. I use an aluminum tow hitch luggage carrier to haul the caddy to the gas station and back (it is only about two miles on backroads with little traffic and low speeds) with the caddy laying flat and chained to the hitch so there is no way for it to slide off. That way there is no lifting, only laying it down on the carrier and sliding it to the center, leaving it on the carrier to fill at the gas station, then slide it to the edge and off the end and upright on the ground back at the dock. Todd, the caddy manufactuer, supplies a flammable liquid indicator sticker with the caddy, that I have stuck to the caddy side, visible when I travel. Two caddy's full will fill the boat tank when it is as empty as I would ever want to get it. I always use Stabil, so if some is left over, just keep it for next time, or put it in your truck. Good luck. Bill Z
btw, I'm in Monroe, LA.

stevo137
09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Where's the driver of the boat? (BLOWN UP SIR)!!! :D

Bruce
09-30-2006, 03:32 PM
SD190EVO Thanks for your lasr reply. No sweat all is forgiven! It was super of you to step up to the plate. Iv'ebeen a little quick on the draw myself and more than once.
I agree it would have been better dealt with as a fuel delivery problem. I've only had the boat for about a month so I am not comfortable with the gas gauge yet and I have no idea how much
fuel it uses.
Wish I could put in a fuel tank. The other side of the bayou behind my house is a National Wildlife Refuge. Not much chance I could get it approved. Before the storm we had fuel on the main bayou. It was a restraunt with a fuel dock. After the storm they have never found the building! As to real estate prices, right after the storm they went crazy. People would pay anything to have a place to live. It is still pretty nuts but the problem is no one can get insurance!
To Bill Z thanks I am still trying to figure out how you get it to the station. I am going back and re read it.Used to travel to your area. Great place to buy boots.

lsupcar
09-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Ok Bruce. Let me know what part you are having trouble visualizing and I will try to clarify. Bill Z

Leroy
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
With the same boat I use 4-5 gallons per hour. That is skiing and such.

Bruce
09-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Bill, I guess I''m confused as to what you are carrying it on. Luggage carrier I believe you said.

Leroy,thanks this is the first guidlines on gph. I've been made aware of.

lsupcar
09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
This is the hitch hauler I use on my 2000 suburban with the caddy laying flat in the carrier. Can you picture what I am doing now? Let me know if I can explain it better. Bill Z
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=63151&Category_Code=CC2

nuckinfutz
09-30-2006, 10:52 PM
bruce,
I like leroys idea with the gas caddy. Perhaps it might be possible to fill the 5 gallon (or 2 gallon containers) that you already have at the gas station and filling the caddy whenever you get a chance. Sounds tedious, but a little safer.

I guess my responce may be of little help, I just imagine bad stuff with a container of fuel that could possibly spill, ignite from intence heat, or just leak vapor in your boat. I to was once a firefighter (volunteer) and know almost all fires were started from mistakes or unaware of a potential hazzard. If the can was stored in the front of the boat, fumes (the actual dangerous part of gasoline) can travel backward toward the ignition source (engine). Perhaps a faulty guage in the instrument panel that sparks every now and then your not aware of.

Im glad you asked this question on the board. It is good food for thought.

Bruce
09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Bill, now I understand! Great idea. I think my son-in-law has one of these. In fact he has talked about getting a gas kaddy for his boat and Sea Doos. I knew info from this forum would get me on the right track! Thanks,
Bruce

lsupcar
10-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Good luck Bruce. Let me know if you runinto any snags. Bill Z

Bruce
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
nuckinfutz, Your point is well taken. People need more to be remined than informed. As a firefighter also you know from firefighter 1 that it takes 3 things: fuel, air, and igniton source. The latter being the key in this case(they all have their place ex. they weld gas tanks full full of gas ie. absence of air and fumes) I never intended to store in a closed area. Down here it is 99.9% fishing boats. (all my friends wanted to know where I was going to mount the trolling motor on my MariStar!) And I'm sorry to say because of distances travelled carrying extra gas is pretty common place. The key is the container and the proxmity to an ignition. Most of these are open boats with outboards. Our cars have pretty much the same engines as our inboard boats.However, car motors are open at the bottom and gasoline is heavier than air. When I was in the Marine Corps gerry cans were pretty common but not without risk. Yet we needed the fuel. We carry fuel in containers on our fire trucks for vent fans, generators, chain saws etc.You do what you have to do.
Luck means chance favors the prepared mind! In short we should not carry fuel on our inboards except in the proper container: The built in tank that was designed to do so and the blowers that are designed to minimize risk!!
BE SAFE OUT THERE MY FRIENDS
Bruce