PDA

View Full Version : Repainting pulleys

Monte
09-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Noticed last weekend that my belts were beginning to get worn due to rust developing on the pulleys. I have bought new belts so I plan to pull the pulleys tonight, sand and repaint them before installing the new belts. Is there a specific kind of paint the board could recommend? Also.. how long would you let the paint cure before re-installing? I hope to get out on the H20 tomorrow afternoon:confused: :D :confused:

Monte
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Nobody?????

6ballsisall
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I'll post. But I am just Hoe'in!!! :D

bbeach
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd use a high temp, high Gloss spray paint commonly used on Grills... You can find it at your local Lowe's or Home Depot... Use a fsat drying primer, 2 coats, sand in between...

cwright
09-29-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure why your pulleys are rusting. That seems odd to me. Are you leaving water in your bilge? You may need to open your engine box a crack to let the mositure out. That being said, I would not paint the inside track of a pulley. Scotch brite it, sand it lightly, but paint in the track will not stay on. Painting the pulley itself (outside of the belt track) should be fine and I would think you'd be fine with paint can's recommended handle time

Monte
09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure why your pulleys are rusting. That seems odd to me. Are you leaving water in your bilge? You may need to open your engine box a crack to let the mositure out. That being said, I would not paint the inside track of a pulley. Scotch brite it, sand it lightly, but paint in the track will not stay on. Painting the pulley itself (outside of the belt track) should be fine and I would think you'd be fine with paint can's recommended handle time

I'm not sure why either. Not leaving water in bilge and religiously prop engine cover up after use. Got a really good deal on the boat in the first place... Previous owner really didn't take care of anything.. But an 86 w/ 250 hrs?? a little elbow grease has been an understatement.. I am sure the rust on the pulleys was an overlook on my part when I puchased it, But, that is an issue that needs to be resolved.. Thanks for the advice.:D