PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit heater

frankb
09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
How well do the cockpit heater assemblies work? We are considering ordering one on a new X-7. Does it heat the whole area or are there just one or two ducts where you can feel the heat?We are in southern Ontario and thought it might help extend the season at both ends.

6ballsisall
09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
How well do the cockpit heater assemblies work? We are considering ordering one on a new X-7. Does it heat the whole area or are there just one or two ducts where you can feel the heat?We are in southern Ontario and thought it might help extend the season at both ends.

They work exceptionally well. There are 2 ducts the heat comes out of. ONe underneath the drivers console and heats the feet very well. the other is by the observers seat and heats their feet well.
Unless you are dead set on a brand new X7 that is the same hull, same everything except graphics you might take a quick peak at my X7 for sale. I am sure arranging shipping to you could be done and the whole show would have you on the water for alot less than new. She's fully loaded.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1094

More about the boat

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12091

beef
09-29-2006, 10:00 AM
The heater is a must-have imo. At least one of the vents should be a pull out snorkel tube. This lets you put the heat wherever you want - in your shirt, shorts, etc. One of the most cost effective comfort items you can have.

NeilM
09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
The heater is a must-have imo. At least one of the vents should be a pull out snorkel tube. This lets you put the heat wherever you want - in your shirt, shorts, etc. One of the most cost effective comfort items you can have.

Agreed. Our Canuck season is short enough as it is -- the heater sure helps!

bigmac
09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Must-have. They are great.

Only caveat I'd add is that they don't put out much heat at idle due to decreased flow through the heater core, so consider adding a Y-pipe (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424)to re-route the return line to the raw water circuit. This is a well-known fix for the no-heat-at-idle problem.

http://www.skidim.com/images/21505.jpg

6ballsisall
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Must-have. They are great.

Only caveat I'd add is that they don't put out much heat at idle due to decreased flow through the heater core, so consider adding a Y-pipe (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424)to re-route the return line to the raw water circuit. This is a well-known fix for the no-heat-at-idle problem.

http://www.skidim.com/images/21505.jpg

hmm.......good info Bigmac. Mine must have that and I didn't know it. It heats quite well at idle. :confused:

bigmac
09-29-2006, 11:05 AM
hmm.......good info Bigmac. Mine must have that and I didn't know it. It heats quite well at idle. :confused:

I don't know if MasterCraft is using that Y-pipe on their new boats, or if they're still returning the water from the core to the engine's circulating pump as in the factory heater in my 2004. IIUC, their major competitor's boats comes standard with that Y-pipe circuit if ordered with a heater.

HeaterCraft's old cores were a little problematic in that they'd give up and leak prematurely in a relatively high percentage of cases. I just replaced the core on my 2004. Their new cores are much better made, and a little bigger.

6ballsisall
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't know if MasterCraft is using that Y-pipe on their new boats, or if they're still returning the water from the core to the engine's circulating pump as in the factory heater in my 2004. IIUC, their major competitor's boats comes standard with that Y-pipe circuit if ordered with a heater.

HeaterCraft's old cores were a little problematic in that they'd give up and leak prematurely in a relatively high percentage of cases. I just replaced the core on my 2004. Their new cores are much better made, and a little bigger.

Interesting.....now you have me curious. Where would this Y pipe be located? I want to check it out this weekend.

captain planet
09-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I put one in my 98 Anniverary when I bought it and it is the best $ I have spent on my boat. The heat by the driver is great and the pull-out tube for the passengers is really nice.

One thing that I have found that I didn't expect when I bought it, I use it when it is really hot out. I turn off the hot water going to the heater-core and let it blow cool air up at me when idling through no-wake zones. Makes all the difference in the world on a really hot day considering my windshield doesn't open like the new 190's or the 197.

nuckinfutz
09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Frank, I wouldnt live life without the heater! Nice in those cold Mornings when its cold outside. Can't say it will heat the whole boat area, but nice if you have a towel or blanket to throw over yeh and let the heater warm up under. Im thinking about replacing my drivers vent with one like the passengers side. This will allow me to tuck the tube under a shirt and warm the upper body if needed.

Just an Idea.

bigmac
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Interesting.....now you have me curious. Where would this Y pipe be located? I want to check it out this weekend.

The Y pipe is found between the raw water intake hose and the raw water pump. You should see it somewhere in the circuit if you trace your 1 1/4 raw water intake hose from the intake to the raw water pump.

If you look at your heater hoses, one will be attached to the intake manifold, and the return line will plug into the water circulating pump on the front of the block. When installing the Y-pipe, the hose is disconnected from the circulating pump and that connector plugged. That hose is then re-routed to the small fitting on the Y-pipe.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Many questions can be answered in my install thread...with pictures, of course!

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17249

etakk7
09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
anybody know where I can get the extension vents to replace my fixed vent? Can I get them at an auto parts store?

Also, when installing a y adapter, I should face the Y such that the 5/8" Y section faces back towards the bow of the boat, correct?

etakk7
09-29-2006, 09:37 PM
anybody know where I can get the extension vents to replace my fixed vent? Can I get them at an auto parts store?

Also, when installing a y adapter, I should face the Y such that the 5/8" Y section faces back towards the bow of the boat, correct?

erkoehler
09-29-2006, 09:47 PM
If ordering new, I'd go with the heated seats as well :) They really do get warm!

erkoehler
09-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Why not just get all the toys, throw a hot water shower on there as well :) You can now ski year around! :)

bigmac
09-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Why not just get all the toys, throw a hot water shower on there as well :) You can now ski year around! :)

The heater makes perfect sense to me because it's great for the hydrofoiler AND the driver - keeps them both nice and warm. I know people love their showers, but I don't get the attraction of a hot water shower on a boat. I could see it being a nice thing to put inside a wet suit, but if it's cold enough to need or want a hot water shower on my boat, I'm wearing a dry suit to get in the water. That keeps me nice and toasty and I CERTAINLY don't want to be hosing myself down then. And if I'm not getting in the water, I sure don't want to take a shower on the boat either.

:confused:

beef
09-30-2006, 08:17 AM

You can get a hot tube to replace the fixed vent at this link (http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=74744F)
I would also try Skidim and Heatercraft directly. The Y adapter installs so that the top of the Y, with the 5/8" piece, faces towards the intake grate.

Agree with Bigmac, one of the benefits of the heater is the sudden availability of drivers and spotters when it's cold! Gotta take care of them.

WTRSK1R
09-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I love my shower as much as my heater. As the air temp starts to drop in fall it is awesome to warm up your vest before you put it on. In spring, putting on warm gloves or putting your foot into a binding that has been pre-heated by the shower makes all the difference in the world. Even with a drysuit, it is nice to warm up the bindings and the gloves between runs. Plus you can warm your feet back up as soon as you are out of the water.