PDA

View Full Version : New Furnace

stevo137
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I need a new furnace. First quote is a Carrier at about $3,300-$4,000 depending on a recirc. option. 135,000 BTU range. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks!
stevo

6ballsisall
09-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Heat pump? Natural Gas or Electric Heat?

BriEOD
09-28-2006, 08:57 PM
It's been in the 90's here this week and you guys are talking about furnaces. :eek:

6ballsisall
09-28-2006, 09:01 PM
It's been in the 90's here this week and you guys are talking about furnaces. :eek:

Thanks for the reminder Bri :cry: :cry:

stevo137
09-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Heat pump? Natural Gas or Electric Heat?
Gas forced air my man.

6ballsisall
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I like Trane brand. Had them in our houses in Colorado. FWIW

Look closely at the effiency ratings closely. Whats the sq. ft of your house? Ranch, 2 story? Whats the air return situation like?

mattsn
09-28-2006, 09:23 PM
One word - Geothermal. Yes, initial cost is greater, but very efficient, IN offers a 2K tax credit, AC is included, many incentive packages.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
oh rub it in......:(

cry my a river!:mad: 40 deg here this morning.....dont talk to me about furnaces!:mad:

6ballsisall
09-28-2006, 09:25 PM
One word - Geothermal. Yes, initial cost is greater, but very efficient, IN offers a 2K tax credit, AC is included, many incentive packages.

Yes, those are Bad arse beyond bad arse. Neighbor has it. His heat and cooling bills are unflippin believably low. Right now you can get it done for fairly inexpensive relatively. It adds serious value to your house at resale to

BriEOD
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
oh rub it in......:(

cry my a river!:mad: 40 deg here this morning.....dont talk to me about furnaces!:mad:
Sucks to be you bro. 8p

stevo137
09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I like Trane brand. Had them in our houses in Colorado. FWIW

Look closely at the effiency ratings closely. Whats the sq. ft of your house? Ranch, 2 story? Whats the air return situation like?
Quad, tough to get even distribution, 2,500 sq ft not including finished basement. These Carrier units do have a unique heat exchanger and this range is 85% efficiency.

6ballsisall
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Quad, tough to get even distribution, 2,500 sq ft not including finished basement.

Hmm.........yeah those can be a biatch to heat. We had one years ago, it was always a huge variation between floors.

If you can, find a way to drop the dough on geothermal as priorly mentioned, you'll love it! If not, I'd buy a TRANE.

stevo137
09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Can you guys provide a few links on the geothermal?

stevo137
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I found one...
http://www.daviscomfortsystems.com/Geothermal.htm

TMCNo1
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM

I hope Gene isn't lurking in the shadows!

stevo137
09-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes Brian, close to freezing tonight... :(

Flatwaterfooter
09-29-2006, 08:49 AM
What is the cost to put one of those geothermal units in. Seems expensive. Does it give an estimate on what it will reduce your heating bill

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Steve, I would go with none other than these (http://www.lennox.com/residential)

6ballsisall
09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
What is the cost to put one of those geothermal units in. Seems expensive. Does it give an estimate on what it will reduce your heating bill

We had a quote done on our current house. 2 story w/ full basement. Total finished sq ft. is about 2850. Price for geothermal was 18k. Then there were rebates from the manufacturer and then state has tax rebates. Net, Net, it was going to be in the 12k range. If you building a house it is much cheaper than retrofitting an existing house. I am told that in 2017 geothermal is already a requirement on new homes and retrofits.

stevo137
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
After getting a few quotes and comparing, we have decided to go with the Lennox 2 stage with the variable speed recirc. option.
The local company has been in business for 80 years and have a good reputation for service.
This will be far better than the current 165,000 btu that is 25 years old and is way oversized.
Thanks for all of your input!
This is the furnace, BTW, the 25 year old furnace is a Lennox and still works fine but not very efficient and is noisy.
Should be installed by Friday. :)
http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=G60V

Workin' 4 Toys
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Nicely done my friend....;)

Chris M
10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
www.econar.com
This is a good web site for geothermal.
Geothermal would be your most cost effective way to go. Up front cost is alot more, but the payback is about 5 to 7 years if you have a well insulated house.
If your going to get a new furnace. Go with the 2 stage high fire low fire. Variable speed blower. 90 plus efficient. If your going to stay with gas this will cost a little more, but save you money in the long run. plus you might be able to get a tax credit.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Ah, who stays in a house that long anyway.;) I have to wonder what a "replacement" geothermal system will cost when it needs to be replaced, say R&R in a 20 years, $50K or more.....
Or how much to be removed when the "newest" ideas come up. Say wind turbines, or solar energy.....:rolleyes:

phecksel
10-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Good choice on the two stage. One of my biggest regrets was allowing the distributor {installed myself} to talk me out of 2 stage.

Three suggestions
1. Go with electronic air cleaner
2. Have the ducts cleaned
3. Add skuttle outside air inlet to cold air return. This will further lower heating costs.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
phecksel, have you seen these?
http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=HRV1

http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=UV

phecksel
10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
phecksel, have you seen these?
http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=HRV1

http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=UV
Not directly.

I have mixed feelings on the UV bio devices, and their true need or effectiveness on a home HVAC. I decided to pass and just install the electronic air filter. That seems to be pretty effective at knocking down the dust and odors. Actually noticed when it quite working.

The skuttle air system is so effective because it inexpensively pressurizes the house overcoming the negative air pressure that is present in 99.99% of our houses. Negative air pressure leads to unfiltered, uncontrolled air infiltration, and is the cold draft people will usually feel. Also has a tendency to lower humidity levels, leading to personal discomfort. I didn't bother with a skuttle system, but ran a 2" pvc pipe (too small), to the cold air return. the nice thing about the skuttle package, it senses negative air pressure and opens the inlet valve letting air in to compensate. Anytime the furnace fan is running (full time in my house), it pressurizes.

dapicatti
10-04-2006, 05:50 PM
As a owner of a family business that's been around about 80 years, I appreciate the fact you chose the local guy who's been there through thick and thin. I am sure you will be very happy, or they will make it right for you.

stevo137
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
As a owner of a family business that's been around about 80 years, I appreciate the fact you chose the local guy who's been there through thick and thin. I am sure you will be very happy, or they will make it right for you.
You know matter of fact, there is another Lennox dealer out of Chicago that is advertising that they will beat any quote by $500. I didn't even call them for a quote due to the fact that I know that this company is from my hometown and have given excellent service for many years. They gave me a straight forward quote with many options. I just ordered the furnace and it will be installed this Friday and they also have 24 emergency service. Quality and service are worth paying a bit more for.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Quality and service are worth paying a bit more for.
TRU DAT!:)

dapicatti
10-04-2006, 11:07 PM
You know matter of fact, there is another Lennox dealer out of Chicago that is advertising that they will beat any quote by $500. I didn't even call them for a quote due to the fact that I know that this company is from my hometown and have given excellent service for many years. They gave me a straight forward quote with many options. I just ordered the furnace and it will be installed this Friday and they also have 24 emergency service. Quality and service are worth paying a bit more for.
I am sure the Chicago guy will be there on Christmas eve when your furnace goes out....NOT!
True story, we had problems with ours, our next door neighbor happened to be the guy we needed to have come over Christmas eve so that our entire family did not freeze to death overnight. It was beyond great to see him come in at 6 p.m. and help us out. Worth all the money in the world!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2006, 08:18 AM
And thats why we chose Lennox.......;)