PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light & Alarm!

manny34711
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
2000 MC x-star w/ ltr 330hp

Ok first it was the starter, now this.... when is it going to end? Anyways, my starter died last week so I replaced it. Thats all I did to it... My boat sat for about 2 1/2 weeks and it rained. The boat got somewhat flooded, not the motor compartment though. Battery was basically under water. (idk if any of that helped). Anyways I replaced the starter today... took the boat out, started right up BUT... NOW my check engine light and alarm stays on as soon as i turn on the boat. The oil was a bit low so i added a couple of quarts of 15w-40 and its full. Checked all visible connections around the starter area to see if i bumped anything off, everything seems intact. Unplugged the battery to see if i can reset it, the light and alarm still stay on. I just bought this boat about a month ago and have not done a single thing to it as everything was perfect when i first bought it. the boat has been running perfect every time ive taken it out. the last time i rode before this happened, the boat ran perfect. everything just changed after the boat got flooded and the starter went out.... also the battery died but i got it charged up and now its good. IM STUMPED OUT!!!!!! is there an OBD2 connector i can hook one up to? if so, where is it at? someone please help??

p.s - all the gauges seem to be good. im getting 40ish oil pressure on idle, and 75ish when driving... temp. seems to be fine. idle is at 500-600.

?????

thanks in advanced

manny34711
09-28-2006, 10:02 PM
bump a roo?

lav
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
hey try to dissconnect neg batt terminal to reset computer maybe clear trouble codes(this works on autos not sure if same for boat)
but cheap and easy

manny34711
09-28-2006, 11:06 PM
hey lav man, no disrespect or anything, i honestly appreciate your post man but i already tried that, i posed it above

"Unplugged the battery to see if i can reset it, the light and alarm still stayed on."

manny34711
09-29-2006, 12:20 AM
bump :(:(:(:(

PendO
09-29-2006, 12:38 AM
How close are you to the shop ... if they can plug it in it may be and easy fix ... my guess ... you accidently bumped a sending unit or wiring harness for a sending unit replacing the starter ... retrace your steps and check for anything unplugged?

We had a sensor issue that was a bit of a gremlin ... the shop let us borrow the code reader and had it diagnosed in a few minutes.

Code reader plugs into the ECM

lav
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
hey lav man, no disrespect or anything, i honestly appreciate your post man but i already tried that, i posed it above

"Unplugged the battery to see if i can reset it, the light and alarm still stayed on."

none taken guess ineed to learn to read

erkoehler
09-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Just a side note, only a dealer can clear the codes, you can't reset them by removing the battery.

manny34711
09-29-2006, 01:17 AM
so they're not obd readers like on auto's?

manny34711
09-29-2006, 01:25 AM
so i guess thats my only option.... get the code read...

PendO
09-29-2006, 01:33 AM
so i guess thats my only option.... get the code read...

if you do a search for "code reader" up top on this page you may find that your boat can still use the older style automotive code readers, I am not sure about your model ... I know that 04 or newer needs a more specific one ... on your boat the port to plug into is in front of the block

manny34711
09-29-2006, 02:17 AM
ok i decided to go to AUTOZONE tomorrow and borrowing one of those ODBII scanners to pull out the codes. ODBII runs on 96+. i wouldnt see why my LTR would not have an ODBII port. i just need to locate it. autozone also has a list of all the codes and their meanings. good idea or no?

PendO
09-29-2006, 02:23 AM
ok i decided to go to AUTOZONE tomorrow and borrowing one of those ODBII scanners to pull out the codes. ODBII runs on 96+. i wouldnt see why my LTR would not have an ODBII port. i just need to locate it. autozone also has a list of all the codes and their meanings. good idea or no?

When I put an Edge performance chip into my dad's dodge I went to autozone and they let me use a code reader for free as I had to clear a code ... it worked for me ... I suppose the worst thing that could happen is your boat blows up ... I'll bet in the AM someone will respond to the thread and let you know if youi an use an Autozone code reader on your 2000 M/C ... sorry man, I got nuthin' but moral support and a few lousy ideas to offer.

erkoehler
09-29-2006, 02:30 AM
My guess is no, you won't have the right software to clear the code 95% sure on this one.

I'll be at work at 9am and tell you for sure. If you need to know at 8am central time, call Will at Chicago MasterCraft 815-385-0880. Otherwise I'll ask him at 9,

sada
09-29-2006, 03:12 AM
recently purchased a Rinda code reader. instructions for cleraing codes are
1)Install code reader to data link connector (DLC)
2)Turn ignition key on (don't start engine)
3)Place code reader to on position. If a code reader is not available I've been told that by shorting DLC positions A and B with a paperclip will also put the EFI system into service mode.
4)Move throttle, while in neutral, from 0% to 100% then back to 0%.
5)Turn ignition key off for at least 5 seconds.

manny34711
09-29-2006, 12:05 PM
which pins are A and B, and do I just stick 1 paperclip and run ir from a to b or 1 paper clip each?

sada
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
On my 2001 Prosrar, 5.7L TBI, the DLC is located on a pig-tail below the distributor. After you remove protective cap the letters labeling each terminal can be seen on the side. Install 1 paperclip. Once this is done your warning lamp should start fllashing. A code 12 should flash three times, indicating the system is operating properly. After the three code 12's your problem codes will start flashing.

manny34711
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
ok i get it now. anyone know where i can find a list of codes?

rick s.
09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
my guess is this is a knock sensor issue. Maybe the connector to the knock sensor got wet and is toast?

On a v-drive boat with the ltr, the knock sensor is mounted close to the oil pan / block joint on the port side, about mid-block. Check / follow the blue wire...

sada
09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I have them. When you get a code PM me and i'll get you the info.

manny34711
09-29-2006, 01:31 PM
my dealer (liquid sports marine) has treated me horrible. no help what so ever. i ended up speaking to will at chicago mastercraft and he was of great help. my dealer is trying to charge me over 100 bucks to hook up the code reader (they say it takes over an hour) where the chicago MC dealer takes a couple of minutes, AND THEY DO IT FOR FREE. i told liquid sports that, and they tell me to drive to chicago and have my service doen there, ::click::.

sada
09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
the Rinda reader that I purchased cost 50 bucks. Available from amazon.com is an indmar repair book for 30 dollars, has code listings and a lot of other good stuff.

the legend
10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
manny- just wondering if you got the codes off your ecm, if so give me a call and i'll help you sort everything out. my dealer (liquid sports marine) has treated me horrible. no help what so ever. i ended up speaking to will at chicago mastercraft and he was of great help. my dealer is trying to charge me over 100 bucks to hook up the code reader (they say it takes over an hour) where the chicago MC dealer takes a couple of minutes, AND THEY DO IT FOR FREE. i told liquid sports that, and they tell me to drive to chicago and have my service doen there, ::click::.