PDA

View Full Version : Boat Dolly

jeverett
09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I am thinking of puting my boat on one of these for the winter while I redo the trailer and perhaps do some gelcoat work on the boat. Tell me whatcha think!

http://yardarm.com/marine_products/mj_boat_dolly_system.htm

J

cwright
09-28-2006, 04:50 PM
I would be leary of undersize bunks. I've seen somewhere a recommended minimum of sq. inches for support but can't remember for sure. I would specualte that the weight rating is for the dolly, and doesn't address the load bearing capability of a boats Gelcoat. You'd hate to put it back on your trailer and have spider cracks all over the resting points. Can you alter the bunks to be 8' long?

east tx skier
09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Surface area is around 250 sq inches. I agree that my comfort level would be with longer bunks.

Monte
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
For the technically challenged (namely me this time) how does one get the boat off the trailer and on to the dolly? not an attempt to threadjack! just going through this in my head and can't see it?

east tx skier
09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Put the dolly under the trailer. Have the trailer bunks waxed with a few gallons of carnuba. Hook something Diesel up to the trailer and floor it. If you do it just right, shouldn't be any issues. ;)

LakePirate
09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Put the dolly under the trailer. Have the trailer bunks waxed with a few gallons of carnuba. Hook something Diesel up to the trailer and floor it. If you do it just right, shouldn't be any issues. ;)

Preferrably turbo Diesel.

My guess is you have a forklift with 18 foot long forks on it.

east tx skier
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Preferrably turbo Diesel.

My guess is you have a forklift with 18 foot long forks on it.

Or an overhead hoist of some sort that you could hook up to the lifting rings.

Tryin-again
09-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Or an overhead hoist of some sort that you could hook up to the lifting rings.

EAstie - this may sound dumb - but lifting rings... the 2 stern and 1bow - will they hold the weight of the boat? :o

east tx skier
09-28-2006, 06:00 PM
EAstie - this may sound dumb - but lifting rings... the 2 stern and 1bow - will they hold the weight of the boat? :o

Temporarily, they are supposed to.

Tryin-again
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Temporarily, they are supposed to.

Thanks.... Wasn't sure... Looks like It but I'd hate to find out the HARD WAY....

Sodar
09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I am thinking of puting my boat on one of these for the winter while I redo the trailer and perhaps do some gelcoat work on the boat. Tell me whatcha think!

http://yardarm.com/marine_products/mj_boat_dolly_system.htm

J

Those things work great. The local rigging shop puts very expensive offshore and custom boats on those all the time. It is by no means a long term storage solution, but keeping your boat for a couple months will not be a problem at all. Also, if any of you are looking at a way to get the boat off the trailer, look at Yardarm's website, they have a set of jacks that enable you to jack the boat up, pull the trailer out and set down on a dolly... They are pretty cool, but VERY expensive.