PDA

View Full Version : '88 Prostar Oil Capacity

BrianM
12-04-2004, 05:04 PM
OK just changed the oil and filter in the boat today and 4 quarts seems to bring it to full on the dipstick. I got all of the old oil out and it seems that it is right around four quarts as well. Is this right? It seems that there would be 5 in the 351w. I have the owners manuel and it shows what oil to use but does not give the capacity. It give the capacity of the transmission but not the engine. Someone with an 87 to 90 prostar want to tell me how many quarts of oil you are putting in........

Brent
12-04-2004, 06:39 PM

Lance
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Same here. That is about as much as I get in my 87 Prostar as well. Lower the hitch tongue as much as possible to get the engine as level as possible but mine is always short of 5 quarts by quite a bit.

Lance

milkmania
12-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm wondering if the manufacturer compensated for the pitch of the engine when the designed the dipstick???

I have noticed the little rubber tip to prevent sparks.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I've got the same deal with my '91. 5 qts puts it quite a bit over full. I question if someone had exchanged dipsticks at some point. It seems odd that there is no oil capacity for the engine in the manual that I have.

jsonova99
12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I just bought a 91 PS190, and I was wondering what grade of motor oil everybody recommends?

kjohnson
12-06-2004, 11:09 AM
My 91 PS 190 holds 4 quarts also. In addition, I can only add 1 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid.

east tx skier
12-06-2004, 11:23 AM
jsonova99, Indmar is recommending 15W40 marine oil.

My 93 PS 205 with the 351 HO will hold more than 5 quarts. I recently verified with my dealer that I have the correct dipstick. At least with mine, part of the variance has to do with whether or not you have the long or the short filter on there.

kjohnson
12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
What is this about the correct dipstick?

east tx skier
12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I believe from what I've read on the board that some of the early GM motors (93-94) came from the factory with the wrong dipstick. Please check with your dealer on this as I don't remember exactly which boat/engine came this way. I've posted the part number for my dipstick which is correct for a Ford 351 HO on my 93 Prostar. Apart from that, I don't have any specifics.

kjohnson
12-14-2004, 11:57 AM
I talked with an Indmar rep recently. He claims that you can never get all of the oil out of the motor. Therefore you will only be able to put back about 4 quarts. The key is to make sure the dipstick reads full when you check it with the boat in the water. Do not overfill as this could ruin the engine. Too much oil will cause the oil to foam and will not lubricate the engine correctly. I always measure the amount of oil that I drain out (I use a measuring container), plus what I drain out of the oil filter, and then put the same amount back into the engine, then check it with the boat in the water.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Was he referring to Ford or Chevy? With my Indmar Ford, I got 5 quarts out plus what was in the filter. Of course, I'm using a pump, not the drain hose.

BrianS
12-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Same thing happens in my '93 PS109 with the 351 HO Ford. I usually don't even get 4 qts out of it. I usually get a little over 2 qts out of the drain hose on the bottom and another qt in the filter. When I refill with the same amount (3-3.5 qts) the dipstick reads full.

Last time I tried one of those hand pumps to make a vacuum and got maybe .25 qt more than usual.

The only thing I can think is that they put a different pan on the marinized versions.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 03:35 PM
On the pump, I initially got 2 quarts. I then pulled the tube out about 1/2" and gave it a couple of pumps. Boom! 3 more quarts.

PeteS
12-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Which pump would do you use/reccomend, East Tx? Where can I find one? I made the bonehead mistake of draining my water, disconnecting hoses, etc., before I changed the oil.

Now it's cold here in Michigan, so the oil is thick. Will the pump you reccomend be able to get my thick stuff out? Thanks a million!

east tx skier
12-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Tempo Oil Boy Fluid Extractor purchased from Overton's. I don't know how well it pulls out the thick stuff. I heated things up before doing the entire capacity. I did pull a quart of the new stuff out thinking I had too much. It didn't go nearly as fast that time though. Works great for tranny fluid, too.

Thrall
12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Which pump would do you use/reccomend, East Tx? Where can I find one? I made the bonehead mistake of draining my water, disconnecting hoses, etc., before I changed the oil.

Now it's cold here in Michigan, so the oil is thick. Will the pump you reccomend be able to get my thick stuff out? Thanks a million!
Pete, I just changed the oil for the second time in my LT-1. First time, I routed the hose out the hull and let it drain (for a couple days, and got not quite 4 quarts out of it. This time I bought a drill operated pump from Napa, for $10. Another $10 worth of garden hose adaptors to mate up to the pipe thread on the boat's drain hose and oulet hose.
This worked awesome. I hooked it up, with the hose still in the engine compartment. It self primed and pumped out all the oil in about 1 minute.
Dumped the oil from the filter as well and I was only about 8 oz short of 5 qts. The oil read only a shade below full in the dipstick before draining.
I did this with the oil cold ( well, AZ cold), but I'm sure it would work w/ even colder oil, since if you're in need of an oil change, your oil is going to be less viscous than when it was fresh.
Another thing I did, not convinced I got all the old oil out, was dump in a quart of new and pump it back out again (poor man's flush). I got all but 2 oz out and it was considerably dirtier than the new oil. For the extra $2 worth of oil, it definately helped get the rest of the old oil out.

PeteS
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks for both peices of information, Thrall and Tx. That problem is now on the backburner, for I've run into a new one (see my new post). I'm pulling the carb for a rebuild, but am having difficulties disconnecting the fuel line. Everything else was a breeze. Thanks again.