PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg, TN

BriEOD
09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I need some help. My family wants to do a vacation in Gatlinburg. However, I'm not going anywhere that isn't on a lake. I am looking for a rental home (good size 6 bedrooms at least) on a ski lake near Gatlinburg. Can anyone recommend something. This would be next summer.

MarkP,

Have you come across anything? You are the data miner.

Thanks,
BPS

Hoosier Bob
09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I wish I could remember where I stayed but it was downtown, fireplace and kitchenette. Very cool place to have fun with the whole family. Take the parkway and enjoy. If I remember I will post but those cells may have been killed a long time ago!

BriEOD
09-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I want to take the MC Bob.

Hoosier Bob
09-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I know but Indy is really not that far, nor is MM! Take it if not just to get her out!

Leroy
09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Depends on how close, and nothing is real close that I know of, Fontana lake, Chilhowee lake, Calderwood lake, Douglass lake, many others.

I would say you are going to have to decide Gatlinburg or lake vacation. I grew up about 1 hour from Gatlinburg. Gatllinburg is up in the mountains and has great trout streams. One hour from Gatlinburg and you can be on so many different lakes. I think 30-45 miinutes almost none. Maybe MarkP knows something more.

I would recommend hike to Mount Le Counte for overnight stay, really great, make your reservation now for next summer.

I would take the family inner tubing down the Llittle Rriver in Townsend, really fun.

Gatlinburg has streams that are just for kids, Cody my be on the border, but they normally have great fishing and fun to see what you are catching.

TMCNo1
09-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Gatlinburg is in the mountains, with Pigeon Forge on the west side of the mountain foothills closer to Knoxville in Seiverville, TN. MC @ Vonore is about a hour away through the hills from Pigeon Forge via highways 321, 411, and 72 or I-40W thru Knoxville, I-75S and Hwy 72. No ski lakes in or around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge but the Tennessee river system runs thru Knoxville, near Maryville [Louisville] and by Vonore. Chambers of Commerce in Blount, Loudon Counties may be able to provide info on rental properties.
Every time we go to MC, we stay a few days in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg then go to the plant or when we go to the plant for reunions with the boat, we always go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for a visit on the way home. What ever you do up there, go to the "Applewood Farm House Restaurant" [not the Applewood Grill next door]for breakfast, lunch or dinner, Lonesome Valley Road, Sevierville, TN., behind Walgreen Drug. And, "The Old Mill", in Pigeon Forge, behind Riverside Towers Motel. You won't regret it!
If I can help just hollar.

LakePirate
09-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Dude you really want to go to Gatlinburg?

Just go to PCB and imagine there are more leather goods

Hoosier Bob
09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Was that in some kind of code TMC? Was there a 9'r in there? You lost me at hello!

BriEOD
09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys.

TNH2oSkier
09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Closest lake to G-burg is Douglas. There is a course near the Dam, and a few rental houses on the lake. There is also a mom n pops type hotel at the Dam exit next to Cowboys diner and bar, it has a dock and ramp. Douglas is nice scenery, nice lake, fairly clean and a great veiw of the mountains. Just dont go after labor day, may not be enough water left. It can drop up to 45' from normal levels.

When you come by the plant give me a shout and I'll pull you thru our slalom course that we keep nearby the MC plant.

BriEOD
09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and if I make it by the HQ I'll give you a shout.

SkiDog
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Gatlinburg is in the mountains, with Pigeon Forge on the west side of the mountain foothills closer to Knoxville in Seiverville, TN. MC @ Vonore is about a hour away through the hills from Pigeon Forge via highways 321, 411, and 72 or I-40W thru Knoxville, I-75S and Hwy 72. No ski lakes in or around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge but the Tennessee river system runs thru Knoxville, near Maryville [Louisville] and by Vonore. Chambers of Commerce in Blount, Loudon Counties may be able to provide info on rental properties.
Every time we go to MC, we stay a few days in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg then go to the plant or when we go to the plant for reunions with the boat, we always go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for a visit on the way home. What ever you do up there, go to the "Applewood Farm House Restaurant" [not the Applewood Grill next door]for breakfast, lunch or dinner, Lonesome Valley Road, Sevierville, TN., behind Walgreen Drug. And, "The Old Mill", in Pigeon Forge, behind Riverside Towers Motel. You won't regret it!
If I can help just hollar.
The hell with calling the Chamber of Commerce! Just call the Harold Page Travel Agency for ALL your travel needs. I'll bet he can tell you exactly how many miles it is, the amount of gas you'll need, and how many Waffle Houses on along the way, and the names of all the waitresses in those Waffle Houses!:D

TMCNo1
09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
The hell with calling the Chamber of Commerce! Just call the Harold Page Travel Agency for ALL your travel needs. I'll bet he can tell you exactly how many miles it is, the amount of gas you'll need, and how many Waffle Houses on along the way, and the names of all the waitresses in those Waffle Houses!:D

You got that right!
I can drive there in my sleep!:D

east tx skier
09-28-2006, 11:53 PM
I need some help. My family wants to do a vacation in Gatlinburg. However, I'm not going anywhere that isn't on a lake. I am looking for a rental home (good size 6 bedrooms at least) on a ski lake near Gatlinburg. Can anyone recommend something. This would be next summer.

MarkP,

Have you come across anything? You are the data miner.

Thanks,
BPS

My wife's Aunt has family in Gatlinburg. I think they are near a lake. I'll ask her. When are you guys planning to go?

BriEOD
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
My wife's Aunt has family in Gatlinburg. I think they are near a lake. I'll ask her. When are you guys planning to go?
Next summer. We have to plan early because we have like 20 people from 4-5 immediate families.

Tennesseeski
09-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Douglas is my home lake and we would love to have you guys come check it out. If you want best of both worlds I would say try staying at the Point Resort in Dandridge. It is right off I-40 on exit 417. The have nightly cabin rentals on the lake with a boat ramp, dock/ marina, bar, and resturant. The course down near the dam is about 10 min by boat from the resort. I could show you a few other places to ski also but that is the only course we have. From the resort it is 10 min back to I-40 where you can go 10 miles to exit 407 which is the G-Burg/P.F./Sevierville exit. That stretch from the exit to the mountains(G-Burg)has the food,shopping, and fun you all might want.
Dandridge is a small town and the second oldest town in Tennesse. It is very nice and laid back. My girlfriend lives their and I spend alot of my time around the area. They have a great place to eat which is just across the lake in downtown called Smokey's steak and BBQ. About 20 or so minutes away is also Cherokee Lake but I have never been on it so I cant say. But I hear it is a great lake also.
I can hook you up with some info on the resort/Dandridge/G-Burg or whatever else you might need. This is a great area to visit if you have never been. Let me know if I can help you out man!

Tennesseeski
09-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Her is one link to look over.
http://dininginthesmokies.com/_dandridge/dandridge_point_marina_restaurant_dandridge_tn.htm

Tennesseeski
09-29-2006, 09:52 PM
nother one
http://www.jefferson-tn-chamber.org/Visitor/Lakes.htm

Tennesseeski
09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
The number for the resort is listed in one of the above.

stevo137
09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
whoops .............................

stevo137
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Leroy
09-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I want to see this vacation, 4-5 families, you not going to an area where there is no lake, there is no lake near Gatlinburg. I'm sure everyone else wanting to go to Gatlinburg. Take the camera Brieod. Maybe everyone would be happier in Fontana Village and take a drive over to Gatlingburg during the day.

I don't know about you, but within a day I've had all of the city of Gatlinburg I can take even with the Black and Decker factory outlet there. The trout fishing is good and there are a lot of hiking trails near there.

BriEOD
09-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info Tenn. That was exactly what I was looking for.