PDA

View Full Version : Skins unavailable?

Monte
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
How much interest does the board feel that we would have if my upholstry man and I went into the business (after talking to MC of course) of replicating original skins for the ones no longer available?? I see it done in collectible cars all the time!! Does anybody else do this??

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
If I didn't have a box sitting upstairs, I'd be interested. However, there are a couple of pieces I could see needing replacements for that I don't currently have. Are you guys planning to use the same G&T marine vinyl?

rhsprostar
09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I would be interested. If you are going to use the same MC vinyl.
Price is of course the big question!

Monte
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Most likely... We would be getting as close to original as possible (if not exact)! This thread is a result of a conversation we had last night.. I mentioned availability issues of the older/ collector MCs... he is willing to start sewing if I am willing to do the rest..

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
The way I understand it, a lot of the boat companies buy G&T vinyl (I'm almost positive that's what they're using) in bulk. My local guys cannot get it. That may be your biggest obstacle. My previous jump seat was reupholstered in a very nice marine vinyl that was close and it just didn't feel the same.

Robert Averyt
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Is it not true that there is a much better vinyl avaliable than the original product? I would be interested in that. I do not mean this in a negative way. I just always like to improve on things when possible.

JDK
09-27-2006, 01:54 PM
How much interest does the board feel that we would have if my upholstry man and I went into the business (after talking to MC of course) of replicating original skins for the ones no longer available?? I see it done in collectible cars all the time!! Does anybody else do this??

Why would you need to talk to M/C about this?......unless it was to ask them for copies of all of their 'obsolete' skin pattern drawings.

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Is it not true that there is a much better vinyl avaliable than the original product? I would be interested in that. I do not mean this in a negative way. I just always like to improve on things when possible.

It is certaininly possible that there is. But if you are not replacing the entire interior at once, it may not match as far as look and texture are concerned.

Monte
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Why would you need to talk to M/C about this?......unless it was to ask them for copies of all of their 'obsolete' skin pattern drawings.

To get the exact specs for the measurements/ patterns, and to make sure that no toes are being stepped on contractually speaking, plus I'm sure some of the some old skins have logos embossed on them and I don't want to get into any trademark infringement issues.

pram
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I would be interested in a set of skins for my boat as well provided that the price isn't astronomical.

Monte
09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I would be interested in a set of skins for my boat as well provided that the price isn't astronomical.

I don't think it would have to be astronomical. Mainly some production/ labor/ overhead costs... oh and a little profit of course:D .. the more we would be able to sell the less we would have to charge:) Kind of like Wally World does to everthing else. Buy materials in bulk less $$$ per widget:D My main focus would be to create an excellent product at a fair price!! I have a feeling people are paying much more for "one-offs" at their local upholsterer than we would ever have to charge...

teddy
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I am looking for seat bases for a 92 in grey as I write this.

Bruce Carr
09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I would be interested in a set of skins for my '83 S&S (all white in color). I am going to do a full upholstery job this winter one way or another. I would be willing to send you my originals over the winter to use as patterns. I believe the interiors (as far as patterns are concerned) are all the same from '82 through '86 or so.

Rich_G
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I will be interested in some skins for a 99 205V, white interior. will need back seat bottom, observer seat and possibly the back hatch (single hatch) cover.

Monte
09-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I would be interested in a set of skins for my '83 S&S (all white in color). I am going to do a full upholstery job this winter one way or another. I would be willing to send you my originals over the winter to use as patterns. I believe the interiors (as far as patterns are concerned) are all the same from '82 through '86 or so.

I just spoke with him, unfortunately there may be some shrinkage issues with measuring originals skins. So you could have a problem with fit. :( We want to do it right. I am working on contact with Mastercraft co. to get a copy of the actual specs. Of course he can do it with the actual seat frames, but that'd be a lot of S&H. We're digging... hopefully something will happen soon!!

Bruce Carr
09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I just spoke with him, unfortunately there may be some shrinkage issues with measuring originals skins. So you could have a problem with fit. :( We want to do it right. I am working on contact with Mastercraft co. to get a copy of the actual specs. Of course he can do it with the actual seat frames, but that'd be a lot of S&H. We're digging... hopefully something will happen soon!!

Shipping the seat frames wouldn't be so bad, The motor box is another matter! Good luck and keep us informed....

Liquid Force
09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I would be interested in skins for bow seat, white for 1992 205

DooSPX
09-27-2006, 08:04 PM
my 91 says MasterCraft on the back rest of the back seat and the observer seat, and a star on the driver seat.
can you add that in the skins?

Monte
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
The ball is in motion:) Stay tuned!!!;) What I really need is to see is the problem areas;) Makers request

mrG
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
If you're looking for interest, put me down for a set of 92 PS skins. My boat was reupholstered by the PO a few years ago but, unfortunately, they used inferior Vinyl.

I took my boat to the neighborhood auto/boat upholstery shop and they gave me a ball park quote figure of $6K Yikes! I have no idea if that's competitive or not.

JohnE
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Count me as interested. My driver seat back is worn, and rear and bow bottom cushions slightly discolored. I'd replace them if I could, but the rest of the interior is near perfect, so there's no way I'd replace the entire set.

With all the posts here about replacement skins, I's say there would be a big market for it.

Keep us posted.

Monte
09-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I took my boat to the neighborhood auto/boat upholstery shop and they gave me a ball park quote figure of $6K Yikes! I have no idea if that's competitive or not.

To quote someone in an earlier thread earlier in the day... Dayum.....:mad: It should cost no where near that... even super custom
We're lookin at everything that does not have a replacement available so I'll keep you posted... good quality and reasonable..

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Shipping the seat frames wouldn't be so bad, The motor box is another matter! Good luck and keep us informed....

The way the guy listed in the FAQ did it was to have people remove the skins and send it to him as a pattern. Frames push up shipping too much.

Monte
09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
The way the guy listed in the FAQ did it was to have people remove the skins and send it to him as a pattern. Frames push up shipping too much.

I'm pretty sure we won't need frames... (well for tests we will) ( Does this mean I get to buy another boat '79S&S???):D :D probably not:rolleyes: ... It will be a pattern:D

justinlkgb
09-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Count me in!!!!91 Maristar I;could send pics of the needed areas:o

Tom023
09-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm with Eastie, have a box of replacement skins stored away. If you are thinking of going beyond this board and word of mouth, you could do some back of the envelope math to figure out if your business proposition would have the volume to be viable. If MC would give you the number of boats for each model year, you could make some assumptions as to the number still in service, the number needing new skins, the number you could realistically market to, the number who would buy, etc... and then cut that number in half. That would be a good starting point to see if a business proposition makes sense. Good luck, great service that is needed.

Jorski
09-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I am in....complete set 1993 Prostar.:cool:

Jorski
10-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Bump... any news ?

milkmania
10-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Count me as interested.

mrG
10-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Sounds like there is enough interest to begin a cutting. I would probably buy 2 sets; one for me and one for the next owner (re$ale).

Monte
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
It's all in the works.. Upholstry guy is getting set up.. It's gonna be a short while.... But looks like its gonna fly... maybe mid-nov, early dec... FYI..

123src
10-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm interested as well. '92 205 whole set. To repost an earlier question, are you going to be able to replicate the star on the driver and observer seat?

Monte
10-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm interested as well. '92 205 whole set. To repost an earlier question, are you going to be able to replicate the star on the driver and observer seat?

Waiting to hear back on that:confused: may not happen on the start up side of things:( But you never know.. the calls have been made fingers crossed:D

east tx skier
10-03-2006, 05:39 PM

While Monte and Co. may be able to, I can tell you from my experience that MC did not offer the heat stamps on the replacement skins I bought from them.

123src
10-03-2006, 07:31 PM
picture of the star.....

123src
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
:toast: YAY FOR ME!!!! That was my first successful picture attachment. I feel like a proud poppa.

east tx skier
10-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Cool. That's much different than mine from 93. That looks like a patch. In 93, they had star heat stamps on the drivers seat back, the observer seatback, and the back seat. They also had "MasterCraft" heat stamped into the combing pads by the front speakers. These heat stamps aren't reproduced on any of my replacement skins from MC. A patch or sewn "star" might be more doable by someone if they had your skins as a pattern.

123src
10-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Yeah... I posted the picture after I read your reply stated "heat stamped". The sewn star on my 92 is on the driver, observer, and back seat. The "Mastercraft" by the front speakers are sewn also....

JohnE
10-04-2006, 09:38 AM
:toast: YAY FOR ME!!!! That was my first successful picture attachment. I feel like a proud poppa.

I know the feeling! My first was last week.

east tx skier
10-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah... I posted the picture after I read your reply stated "heat stamped". The sewn star on my 92 is on the driver, observer, and back seat. The "Mastercraft" by the front speakers are sewn also....

By contrast, here is what mine look like. Look close. You can barely see it.

Ryan
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Can your guy give us production estimates for skins only that we can install ourselves or have installed locally? If it's reasonable I'm in. But then I might not want to sell my boat.;) That stitching looks sweet!

Kell
10-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Count me in as well. 99 Maristar 210VRS, driver side rear passenger seat cushion is splitting at the seams. If you need pics I would be happy to post/email them to ya.

Ron Grover
10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Got a '93, 205 needing a set. Let me know your progress.

moabtj
10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
My 92' 205 Prostartr needs a set as well. I actually call the other guy on this forum. A complete set for my boat, and any cusions or small pieces I wanted to send to him instead of putting them together myself $950.00 plus freight. He is using factory MC Vinyl

Reco200
10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Count reco200 from sc as very interested; '83 Prostar

Monte
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
We are still digging on this, so don't give up on us.. Just takes a little time to get this kind of ball rolling.. I am monitoring the thread, but waiting for some sources to reply.. Just not much to add. I should have some numbers available pretty soon.

jjk94
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
In Also for 85 SS already have gunnel and rear seat so matching would be great

zepdog
10-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I need a few skins for my 87, i will wait for you to get up and running and check back on this thread later.

kah68
10-09-2006, 09:42 PM
89' Tris star, the whole boat could use a recover. Let me know how much please. kirkaholden@yahoo.com

deansnyder
10-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I am interested in a set for a 1999 PS 205. Depending on price, I would either want a full set or maybe a few pieces at a time.

205V
10-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm a newbie. We just purchased a 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205V this summer. The rear panel that lifts where the fancy straight stitch has popped open. The rest of the skins look and feel great on the boat. I'm looking to replacing that small area, but without the stitching because I feel it weakens the skin. The local shop said he would need 2 yards and repair it for $100. I've contacted my nearest MasterCraft dealer for the 2 yards and that has been 1 1/2 weeks ago. How much skins from MC cost a yard? Is it hard to get it from them? I heard to use 303 on the skins which we did and that's when we had problems. We have switched to BABES and so far so good.

causewayskiier
10-11-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a 92 Prosport 205, and may be interested in replacement skins depending on the costs. If you decide to do this I would certainly be interested in a quote.

Monte
10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
205V..I'm going to have to stay away from anything that MC still offers. $100.00 sounds reasonable. You are going to have a problem getting just two yards I would think, as Vinyl manuf want to sell in bulk/ by the roll. your best bet is to see what the dealer can do! Maybe MYMC, Jim@BAWs, or Erkohler can help...

205V
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Would the feel, color and looks of the vinyl's be different that what I already have? Why do you say "stay away from anything that MC offers?? Thanks

Monte
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Would the feel, color and looks of the vinyl's be different that what I already have? Why do you say "stay away from anything that MC offers?? Thanks

We are working to get the vinyl from the maufacturer of the vinyl used on MC's at a good rate. It is my understanding that MC still offers replacement skins for '99's and up... and certain models a little farther up in age... I just don't want a nasty letter:( I will keep you posted... We want to offer show and useable quality stuff.....

milkmania
10-15-2006, 03:03 PM
bump

don't want to lose this thread8p

loeweb
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm in if you can go back to 1988. Sounds like a great idea, there will be a lot of phone calls and hoops to jump through I bet, but if your upholstery guy is inspected by MC, I bet they would love it too. Meaning they wouldn't want just anyone selling skins with their name on them. Again, sounds like a great idea.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm in if you can go back to 1988. Sounds like a great idea, there will be a lot of phone calls and hoops to jump through I bet, but if your upholstery guy is inspected by MC, I bet they would love it too. Meaning they wouldn't want just anyone selling skins with their name on them. Again, sounds like a great idea.

At least as far as my replacement skins went, their name wasn't anywhere on them (unlike the originals). The biggest issue, apart from acquiring the patterns, is getting the G&T marine vinyl (I think that's what was used).

JohnE
10-28-2006, 07:54 PM
So is there any update on this endeavor?

JKTX21
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
How much?! Just kidding... I would be interested in anything that will save me some money on stuff I will need in the future.

tph
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Looking for '89 PS skins. Please keep us posted.

milkmania
11-04-2006, 06:59 PM
monte72,

you got an update for us?

I'm asking because I'm getting something in the works to get my skins done

JIMM
11-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I would be interested in skins for a 1987 PS but not in the textured original vinyl.

mrG
11-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Hopefully they'll be here soon. I have a pen in my hand and I'm ready to write the check!

This would be a full set for a 92 PS190.

atlfootr
11-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Anyone who's interested in "NEW SKIN REPLACEMENT" call Jim first, on his cellphone.

He did ALL (5) seats, cushions, side panels and sundeck.
Let me tell ya, they are Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! And the price?
UNbelieveably ...

Here's "The Man" ... Upolstery
Jim - "Upolstery Guy" :wavey:
(865) 679 2246 cellphn
(call 7 days a week until 10pm)

10-15 yrs. w/ MC Upolstery Dept. Vonore, TN
Anyone who' smart enough to use him,
share the good news as I did.

atlfootr :friday:

87MC owner
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I am interested in a full set of skins for mine but with all my investigations, I have yet to find the exact vinyl for my 87 PS 190. It is starting to make me think I may have to upgrade to a new type getting away from the restoration I was currently in the mood for.

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I am interested in a full set of skins for mine but with all my investigations, I have yet to find the exact vinyl for my 87 PS 190. It is starting to make me think I may have to upgrade to a new type getting away from the restoration I was currently in the mood for.

Finding the EXACT patterns/textures of vinyl may be a bit challenging for the '87, but atlfootr's guy who worked at MC will get them as close as humanly possible. See post #67 for his info, as he has done several owners boats here on TT.

atlfootr
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
hmmmmmmm ....

atlfootr
03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
How much interest does the board feel that we would have if my upholstry man and I went into the business (after talking to MC of course) of replicating original skins for the ones no longer available??
Does anybody else do this??Yes .... I do believe, they do :)

87MC owner
03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Ya, I called "the man" and he was even skeptical about matching the odd stuff they used in 87. I guess I will just have to settle for a pinto in a Mustang body!

BobL
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
So, is Jim "the guy" or what?

atlfootr
03-15-2007, 10:38 AM
So, is Jim "the guy" or what?Jim's "theguy" :D

joecarew3
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Did anything ever happen from this thread???? I just read up on it now and was wondering if there was a different thread started or what?

5280Hawk
07-21-2010, 11:39 PM
whoa this thread is a relic!

Go to the upholstery section. I have a thread describing a complete DIY re-upholster of my 2002 x-star that had the pink vinyl disease.

I used a company that replicated each and every piece of vinyl from my boat with new updated vinyl. embroidered Logos as well.