PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain perfect pass?

JohnE
09-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Can someone explain in simple terms what perfect pass does and how it works? I've read some posts here, and been to the pp site, and am still confused.

Does the paddle wheel read exactly what speed you're going and then rpm gets adjusted? Is the top of the line slalom only beneficial if the course has magnets? Or will it be beneficial for any course?

Will it make it easier for my wife to drive slalom? I'm sure it will. I think I want to install it over the winter. Price is not a huge factor for me, but there's no sense paying for something I may not need. I have trouble understanding the difference between wakeboard pro and the top of the line model.

Thanks in advance,

John.

3event
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Two words for you:

MARRIAGE SAVER
(it makes any driver a good driver, at least in a straight line!!!)

PP makes your boat a breeze to drive, and much more fun for the person holding the rope. I have the Wakeboard Pro on my 197 since we don't have course access, it has the paddlewheel and works fantastic. It's the single most useful feature on the boat for sure!

Others who have experience with the various versions can add more to the discussion, but my recommendation is pick the version you can use and GET IT !

JohnE
09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Two words for you:

MARRIAGE SAVER
(it makes any driver a good driver, at least in a straight line!!!)

PP makes your boat a breeze to drive, and much more fun for the person holding the rope. I have the Wakeboard Pro on my 197 since we don't have course access, it has the paddlewheel and works fantastic. It's the single most useful feature on the boat for sure!

Others who have experience with the various versions can add more to the discussion, but my recommendation is pick the version you can use and GET IT !

Those 2 words are enough for me! We've actually had some shouting during a run. Me shouting, her not hearing me or not listening. And of course over responding to hand signals.

But which model? And suggestions for paddlewheel location? Next to drain plug?

Thanks again.

John

pilot02
09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
The top of the line model as you refer to it needs to have magnets in the course for the smart timer to be used. It will perform the same as the wakeboard pro otherwise. If your serious about slalom, get the top model and buy some magnets.
I have an accuski that I use on a permanent course as well as my portable on occassion and I added magnets to the portable so that I know for sure my passes are in tolerance. Without the magnets in the course, your probably not within tolerance.

3event
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
The wakeboard PRO is probably great unless you have a 190 or 197 that you might run the course a lot with, OR might be sold to a hardcore slalom user - resale value.

As for how / where to install, my response is unfortunately : "Where MC installs it...." So, we will have to wait for more educated responses on this thread. Each hull has an optimal location , so the trick is finding someone who has done it on yours.....

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 11:16 AM
If you don't intend to ever use it in a ski course, you don't need digital pro. For slalom, the system works on a set rpm value that varies by other factors, i.e., skier weight, crew weight, etc. For wakeboarding and tricks (and just about everything under 24 mph), the system uses the paddle wheel speedo to hold speed. If you want the paddlewheel, but don't intend to be in the course, wakeboard pro has a "simple slalom" mode that will work great for free skiing. If you just want something that will hold speed like cruise control on the car, the basic cruise is your most economical solution. As mentioned above, Digital Pro is wakeboard pro with magnet sensors. So if you buy wakeboard pro, you can easily upgrade to the full shabang for $199.

PendO
09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
As for which model:

My PP is Digital Pro 6.5ng ... it has a master module so you actually have software to run it in digital pro mode (with setting for Jump / Slalom / Trick / Wakeboard / RPM) or you can "reset" the system and use the software for Wakeboard Pro, which gives you the options of (Wakeboard / Slalom / RPM) ... presently I have it it the Wakeboard Pro-Slalom setting (teaching my wife to drive) ... hope this helps.

I'm not sure if all digital pro's come with a master module, or just the ones that come from the factory, but essentially I have both systems and can chose which way to run it.

88 PS190
09-27-2006, 11:59 AM
With out magnets you can use the perfect pass in rpm mode, but you have to manually calibrate your rpm for your speed. once that's set its pretty accurate and will hold that speed.

If you want ultra accurate timing can be done w/ magnets at the gates, gates and at all the balls etc. depending on how much accuracy you want.

G-man
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Perfect Pass is the best money you can spend on your marrage besides money spent at Victoria's Secret!!!!!!!

Ric
09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Those 2 words are enough for me! We've actually had some shouting during a run. Me shouting, her not hearing me or not listening. And of course over responding to hand signals.

But which model? And suggestions for paddlewheel location? Next to drain plug?

Thanks again.

John "Did he say, faster?"

NeilM
09-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Perfect Pass is the best money you can spend on your marrage besides money spent at Victoria's Secret!!!!!!!

Agreed:D .

But let's not forget that it's safer, too. You don't have to waste "eye-time" monitoring the speed on the speedo..

JohnE
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
With out magnets you can use the perfect pass in rpm mode, but you have to manually calibrate your rpm for your speed. once that's set its pretty accurate and will hold that speed.

If you want ultra accurate timing can be done w/ magnets at the gates, gates and at all the balls etc. depending on how much accuracy you want.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess my question is if you are calibrating pp based on rpm for a given speed, isn't it just the same if driver holds the rpm manually? I know that can't be the case given the overwhelming endorsements of pp. Also, if your setting speed based on rpm, what's the paddle doing? Is it just for the slower speeds?

bigmac
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess my question is if you are calibrating pp based on rpm for a given speed, isn't it just the same if driver holds the rpm manually? I know that can't be the case given the overwhelming endorsements of pp. Also, if your setting speed based on rpm, what's the paddle doing? Is it just for the slower speeds?

The paddlewheel is primarily for maintaining speeds of 25 mph or less. It's very accurate within that range, less so as the speed goes up. However, the digital speed display remains accurate all the way up to the boat's top speed, according to my GPS. Apparently those higher speeds just can't be accurately held by the servo.

In slalom mode, the speed is held based on RPM and you do have to calibrate it. Obviously, that calibration will vary depending on weight in the boat, weight of skier, etc. Yes, you could just as well use RPM mode, although the device is very responsive at throttle adjustment in response to RPM variation, and I suspect much more accurate than any driver could be.

beef
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
In slalom mode (with or without a timer), PP is much more accurate than any manual driver could be. It samples the rpms 100's of times a second and responds instantly to any variation. It even responds differently based on the skier and crew weight to maintain speed within tournament tolerances.

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 01:06 PM
"Did he say, faster?"

Great Outdoors, right?

east tx skier
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
In slalom mode (with or without a timer), PP is much more accurate than any manual driver could be. It samples the rpms 100's of times a second and responds instantly to any variation. It even responds differently based on the skier and crew weight to maintain speed within tournament tolerances.

My percentages may be a little off. In 6.5n in slalom mode, once your baseline is set for a particular speed, perfect pass will engage and hold that rpm value plus an rpm value for crew weight plus an rpm value based on 72% of skier weight. When your boat hits the gates, the magnet sensor sends a signal to the master module, which in turn, ramps up the remaining % of skier weight. At the 3 ball boat guides, the magnet sensor is triggered and the Master Module adjusts the rpms downward based on a user preset SSB (second segment balance). Assuming no slalom switch is installed, perfect pass is only seeking to hold an rpm value. It is not compensating for skier pull to the extent that that doesn't somehow change the boat's rpms.

When free skiing, you can use slalom mode, but remember that it is not accounting for 100% of skier weight because the mag sensor is not sending a signal to the master module to cause it to ramp up the remaining percentage of the skier factor. So you might want to add rpms (there's a setting to add rpms) based on 28% of your weight and save it as your free skiing mode in the memory so you don't have to mess with your slalom settings when you're in the course.

JohnE
09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the info. Is it fair to say just get the digital pro if I can afford it? I think that's what I'm leaning toward.

beef
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
My percentages may be a little off. In 6.5n in slalom mode, once your baseline is set for a particular speed, perfect pass will engage and hold that rpm value plus an rpm value for crew weight plus an rpm value based on 72% of skier weight. When your boat hits the gates, the magnet sensor sends a signal to the master module, which in turn, ramps up the remaining % of skier weight. At the 3 ball boat guides, the magnet sensor is triggered and the Master Module adjusts the rpms downward based on a user preset SSB (second segment balance). Assuming no slalom switch is installed, perfect pass is only seeking to hold an rpm value. It is not compensating for skier pull to the extent that that doesn't somehow change the boat's rpms.

When free skiing, you can use slalom mode, but remember that it is not accounting for 100% of skier weight because the mag sensor is not sending a signal to the master module to cause it to ramp up the remaining percentage of the skier factor. So you might want to add rpms (there's a setting to add rpms) based on 28% of your weight and save it as your free skiing mode in the memory so you don't have to mess with your slalom settings when you're in the course.

That made my head hurt! :D

I think I recall somewhere reading something similar to that, but I also think I have seen a post somewhere quoting PerfectPass as saying that the magnets did not trigger any compensation. ??