PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lockout Bracket

85badger
09-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Has anyone used one of these? I've searched all over for this and I finally found it, just curious if it works. Its a mechanical override to enable backing up.

http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/A60-70Maint.PDF

east tx skier
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
I use one on my trailer when backing it up hills. It works fine, but tends to fall out. What I use to keep that from happening is two small ceramic magnets from your local hardware store. Put one behind it and one beneath it (overlapping the recess it fits in slightly). Has worked like a charm since I started doing it this way and works much better than my previous attempts using rubber bands and the like.

peason
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Do a search onthis site, BigMac posted something about this a couple of months ago.

TMCNo1
09-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I have one that came in my disc brake kit when I added them to my '89 trailer. I keep it in the driver door as a spare if the electric back-up release valve should fail. I coated the foot with "Plasti-Cote" several times so it fits snuggly in the slot and it will not fall out and I attached a cord, so if it would fall out I won't loose it.

85badger
09-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I have one that came in my disc brake kit when I added them to my '89 trailer. I keep it in the driver door as a spare if the electric back-up release valve should fail. I coated the foot with "Plasti-Cote" several times so it fits snuggly in the slot and it will not fall out and I attached a cord, so if it would fall out I won't loose it.

Plasti-Cote is a good idea, anyone know where I can purchase one of these? By the way, I have a 05 X-2. I need one so the old man at my storage unit can move my boat around with his tractor. He doesn't have trailer wiring on it and I not about to try to tell him how to rig something up. Just need one of these, shove it in, tape it in and voila!!

dog paw
09-26-2006, 11:30 AM
My friends Supra used a setup like that. That stupid piece about drove him crazy falling out. He had a long driveway to back into.. I made another insert for the other side of the tounge welded a stiff wire to the two and bent it so they fit on like a pair of earmuffs. Worked good, never fell out again.

TMCNo1
09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Plasti-Cote is a good idea, anyone know where I can purchase one of these? By the way, I have a 05 X-2. I need one so the old man at my storage unit can move my boat around with his tractor. He doesn't have trailer wiring on it and I not about to try to tell him how to rig something up. Just need one of these, shove it in, tape it in and voila!!

You should be able to get one from UFP or they can tell you who in your area that has them. Or, you can replace the master cylinder cover with the lock out cap as pictured in the operators manual, as it does the same thing.
www.ufpnet.com or 1-800-854-1905

Archimedes
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Has anyone used one of these? I've searched all over for this and I finally found it, just curious if it works. Its a mechanical override to enable backing up.

http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/A60-70Maint.PDF

The trailer with my 94 ProStar came with a manual brake lockout similar to this one. When I asked my dealer if there would be a lockout on the MC trailer for my X-1, he looked at me like I was from Mars. He'd never heard of such a thing.

TMCNo1
09-26-2006, 11:35 AM
My friends Supra used a setup like that. That stupid piece about drove him crazy falling out. He had a long driveway to back into.. I made another insert for the other side of the tounge welded a stiff wire to the two and bent it so they fit on like a pair of earmuffs. Worked good, never fell out again.

Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

east tx skier
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM

When my local dealer moved into their new space, they found a bunch of lockouts rigged up like that in a box of stock they'd purchased from a dealer that was going out of business. Looked easy enough to rig up. I just keep the magnets stuck to my toolbox in the tow vehicle. They require minimal thought and work like a charm.

85badger
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I called them earlier.........had to leave a message. I'm not exactly sure this will fit on mine, I'm at work and can't remember if mine has the slot that this fits into.

dog paw
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
When my local dealer moved into their new space, they found a bunch of lockouts rigged up like that in a box of stock they'd purchased from a dealer that was going out of business. Looked easy enough to rig up. I just keep the magnets stuck to my toolbox in the tow vehicle. They require minimal thought and work like a charm.

My ex always said I'd never had a original thought in my life, although the thought of getting rid of her has worked out well :D :D

Oh well.....8p

etakk7
09-26-2006, 01:39 PM
My trailer has the fifth wire for reverse lockout, but my car does not have that adapter (and I haven't rigged one up). So in the meantime I turn the four pin adapter over 180 degrees, turn the headlights on, and that activates the brake lockout so I can back up.

85badger
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
My trailer has the fifth wire for reverse lockout, but my car does not have that adapter (and I haven't rigged one up). So in the meantime I turn the four pin adapter over 180 degrees, turn the headlights on, and that activates the brake lockout so I can back up.

Same here, but I need the bracket for the old man with the tractor.