PDA

View Full Version : rusty bunk rails

jsonova99
12-03-2004, 01:59 PM
I just bought a '91 PS190, and the bunk rails on the trailer are pretty rusty. I'm wondering if it something worth trying to get fixed, or if I am better off investing in a new trailer. Also, if investing in a new trailer is the answer, does anybody have any suggestions on what to get and what kind of prices I should be expecting to pay?

east tx skier
12-03-2004, 02:58 PM
A new or new-to-you trailer can run anywhere from $500 to $1,500 from what I've seen.

If you're talking about the angle irons to which the bunks attach, I may have some good news for you. Mine were rusted, it appeared, pretty badly earlier this year. When I removed the bunks and took the grinder to them, it turned out to not be as bad as it looked. Once ground to the metal, there was plenty left to work with, but I had some additional supports added (so that it looks like a "T" instead of an L. But my guess is that if you grind them down, then reprime and paint, you'll probably be alright.

JimN
12-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Or you can sandblast them and remove less material. Also gives the primer more to grab onto.