PDA

View Full Version : Key West on Thursday

Hoff1
09-25-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm flying down there for 4 nights in a few days. I haven't been there in about 5 or 6 years and never really did anything other than consume mass quantities on Duval St. :friday:

Anyone been there recently and have any recommendations for activities for me and the female. I've been to the Keys 3 years in a row and never really did anything except party. Would like to try other things along with the party on this trip.

shepherd
09-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Other than party? Hmmm...................I got nothin' :rolleyes:

SD190EVO
09-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Hemingways house is sort of cool... http://www.hemingwayhome.com/

Also the scene of a Bond movie (License to Kill) if your into that sort of thing.

LakePirate
09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey Hoff, I guess you fly into Miami and then prop job it to Key West. How fun is that flight? I know I loved it.

(Um, excuse me Mr. Pilot there was a perfectly good runway on that island back there, is it possible we land there? I just don't have the greatest confidence that this plane is going to make it.)

chudson
09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
On the travel channel Key West was picked as one of the top ten beaches to go to, might see somtin purdy out there!!!

Dan K
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
A number of years ago I rented a very small outboard boat and explored the bays and inlets on my own. I had a great time and stumpled into a nudist colony, they were all sunbathing on an old abandoned ship wreck. I couldn't ever find my way back there but it was one of the sites you don't forget.

shepherd
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Rent some bikes and peddle around town.
Take a seaplane ride to the Dry Tortugas
Go scuba diving or snorkeling
Hire a fishing guide
Visit Bahia Honda state park - one of the prettiest
Get some pizza at No Name Pub on Big Pine Key - some of the best pizza in the keys in a funky out of the way bar. Also, look for the little Key Deer running around that island.

Hoff1
09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll be making connections in Atlanta and Orlando on the way down - what a pain, but I think they are all jets, I think.

I've been to Bahia Honda, one of the best beaches I've ever seen. I have seen topless bar tenders at one of the bars down there before. We're thinking of snorkeling or maybe a jetski tour around the island. Renting the bikes will probably be a good bet though.

My last boating experience in the Keys was taking a junky repo’ed cabin cruiser from Miami to Key West. Terrible experience, engines breaking down constantly, almost ran aground many times, rebuilt both carbs, changed spark plugs, lost the ratchet in the water, lost a trim tab, exhaust leaks, dead batteries, no radar, a $3 map to navigate buy, eaten alive by mosquitoes, and a crazy storm with 40 mph winds that we just had to ride out. We got towed into Marathon and partied there for a couple of days, eventually rented a truck to get back to Miami.