PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get A fuel pump?

Brent
09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Where do I get a fuel pump for a 87 PS 190 , besides skidim?
What is the automotive equivalent? What options do I have?

erkoehler
09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
I highly recommend NOT PUTTING IN AN AUTO. FUEL PUMP.

Marine applications vary greatly from the auto pumps, and you are putting everyone in danger if you use an Auto. fuel pump.

Farmer Ted
09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I highly recommend NOT PUTTING IN AN AUTO. FUEL PUMP.

Marine applications vary greatly from the auto pumps, and you are putting everyone in danger if you use an Auto. fuel pump.

doesn't an '87 have a mechanical pump?

are marine mechanical pumps more intrinsically safe than automotive mechanical pumps?

Hunterb
09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I think they are actually. I believe they have a double diaphragm and they also have a fitting that a clear line is attached to that runs up to the carb which is supposed to take the fuel from the pump to the carb in the event of a failure of one of the diaphragms. Basically they have a couple of design differences and their purpose is to limit the likelihood of fuel ending up in the bilge, where you really don't want it.

Bruce

AirJunky
09-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Automotive fuel pumps in that year boat are fine. It's the electrical ones that are marinized.

Tom023
09-25-2006, 07:14 AM
All the mechanical pumps I had did have the return hose to the carb that Hunterb mentions, otherwise fuel could end up in the bilge upon failure. Not sure about the double diaphram but makes sense.

tdaines@hotmail.com
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
NAPA AUTO PARTS has marine, double diaphram pumps for almost all common boats, including all Mastercrafts that use mechanical pumps. One little bonus - they're usually about half the price of your local MC dealer. (Sorry to all the dealers out there!)

Just to clarify - when fuel pumps die, the first thing that happens is that they start to leak. Auto pumps are single diaphram, and the leak will typically drip right out the bottom of the engine compartment and usually cause no harm.

The reason you MUST buy a marine pump, is that if fuel leaks out the bottom of your boat engine, it sits in that engine compartment, aka bomb chamber!!! Marine pumps leak into the second diaphram when they go out, and you run much less risk of dying. Please please please get a marine pump!

TIM

Brent
09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Guy's
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try NAPA & if they can't help it will have to be ski dim .I like ski dim .it's just a pain with brokerage fee's for Canadians .

east tx skier
09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Guy's
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try NAPA & if they can't help it will have to be ski dim .I like ski dim .it's just a pain with brokerage fee's for Canadians .

I've bought a few things from skidim that said NAPA on them. :)