PDA

View Full Version : Building a 12x20 garage/shed- what pitch?

mitch
09-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Building a DIY 12x20 garage/shed- what pitch should I have for the trusses? 8/12 or 6/12? This will be 24" on center and support a snow load here in New England..... Thanks for any opinions!

ski_king
09-23-2006, 10:57 AM
For 12 foot wide either should work fine.
If price is close and you have the room, go for the 8/12 to get more storage area up in the trusses....

mitch
09-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Will 8/12 still be easy to walk on for laying the plywood and shingles? Thanks!

6ballsisall
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM

Shouldnt be bad at all.......

mitch
09-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks.................

JimN
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM
If it will be visible from the road, I would imagine the inspector will tell you what to do. If you want to know what willl be good to stand on, draw the pitch on a piece of paper or something. 8" up and 12" over with a right angle.

SkiDog
09-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Hell no, an 8/12 is not easy to stand on! BE safe, go with the 6/12 if you are doing the roofing yourself!

88 PS190
09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
well if you are using those metal brackets that slide up under the shingles to hold a slat of wood... you should still be fine on an 8/12.

At my uncles farm i shoot from a 8/12 roof on a shed out over a field.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
6/12 is about as steep as I'd work on a roof without the brackets and boards. If you are just building a single story 12X20 storage shed, you will not be up that high but falling is still unpleasant!:eek:

ski_king
09-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Agreed 8/12 is not easy to stand on, but with only 6 ft to center of building if might not be too tough, but be careful!

Falling may ruin your ski season.

6ballsisall
09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Just out of curiousity, are you going 8/12 in account for snow????

ski_king
09-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Here is a link that has photos of various roof pitchs.
I want that garage, bottom center.
http://www.abc-garage.com/garage_roof_pitch.htm

mitch
09-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Yes the 8/12 is for snow. The garage I'm tearing down has a 10/12 pitch. The 6/12 looks fine. Thanks!

JohnE
09-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd agree that an 8 pitch is a little steep for a diy application. Pro roofers will walk up to about a 10 pitch without staging, but 8 is cutting it close for someone inexperienced. Personally I'd recommend going with the 8 pitch and using a set of roof brackets. More pitch and height are almost always better. Although on such a small roof, there won't be much snow load.

sassydog
09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
6/12 will be cheaper to sheet and shingle because there's less surface area, but if you plan on using the space inside the trusses for storage, 8/12will give you slightly more room. aslso look at your loca building codes, there may be a hight resriction on sheds, that could also determing. Another thign to think of is cutting rafters for you shed yourself!! much cheaper than trusses because there's a lot less material involved, but it will take longer, especially if you don't know how to cut rafters.

6ballsisall
09-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Not to threadjack but out of interest what might a garage cost per sq ft. to build? Assuming concrete floors, 2x4 construction, everything pretty standard (basic 3 car wide w/ standard elevation) w/ vinyl siding.

sassydog
09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
thats' pretty hard to pinpoint,and cost varies on location. i CAN tell you that a 3 car garage will need around 750+ sq ft. keeping that in mind, concrete runs around $85 a sq yd which is fairly standard for the midwest. As far as studs and plywood, it's hard to nickle and dime everything to give you an acurate estimate. but here's a couple of links to help you out. You also might want to invest in some construction estimation software if you plan on doing this more than once.

http://www.84lumber.com/Projects/garages.asp
http://garageplans.hsh.com/finalsearchpage.asp?cars=3

AirJunky
09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
My entire house has an 8/12 roof. And it's a PIA to do simple things like replace a piece of 3 tab that blew off in a storm, or run Christmas lights.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Not to threadjack but out of interest what might a garage cost per sq ft. to build? Assuming concrete floors, 2x4 construction, everything pretty standard (basic 3 car wide w/ standard elevation) w/ vinyl siding.
Does your area require a full foundation for such a structure?
Adding excavation and concrete for this will drastically increase your cost.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Yes the 8/12 is for snow. The garage I'm tearing down has a 10/12 pitch. The 6/12 looks fine. Thanks!
I'd go with a 6/12

mitch
09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, leaning 6/12. Here's a pic of the bldg I'm replacing.

bobbyB
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Mitch

I work in a county building department and look at plans all day. Here's my two bits on what has been said so far.

1- Increasing or decreasing your roof pitch does not significantly effect the amount of snow load that your truss will carry. 6/12 or 8/12, either will be basically the same loading factor. Considering the short span of 12' the whole pitch question should be a non factor. Bottom line...go with what you think looks better. If you need anything sized...beams, rafters, joists, etc...let me know and I'll run the numbers for you.

2- As a general note- you should check with your local jurisdiction and find out what code you are under. If it is the Internatianal Bldg. Code, then you should be able to build a shed up to 200sq ft without a permit. You might be better off making your shed slightly smaller and avoiding the costs of a permit. I only takes a call and you have nothing to loose:cool:

B

mitch
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Bobby!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
You could always heat the roof and not worry about any snow....;)

Our Roof & Gutter Cables prevent water damage caused by snow and ice buildup. Once again, working in conjunction with Underwriters Laboratories (UL), we were granted the industry's first listing for the newly created category, "Roof and Gutter De-icing Cable for Metal or Plastic/Vinyl Gutters and Downspouts."
The Roof and Gutter cables work in conjunction with natural sunlight and a building's own heat dissipation. When natural thawing occurs, the cables create a channel that allows water to flow off the roof and through gutters and downspouts. Easy to operate, they simply plug in for years of trouble-free operation.

roof and gutter cables (http://www.wrap-on.com)

mitch
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey all, Thanks again for the reply's to this thread, I appreciate it.

Am going w/ 6/12 pitch trusses, and am wondering do I need a permit for a dirt floor 12x20 shed? Part of me say probably, but the question is will they let me have a dirt floor bldg on these pads. In the pic you can see a small knee wall at the far end, and under one of the studs (behind the quad), there is a small cement pad. These are every 3-4feet. Bldg has been there since the 40's on these pads, so I'm thinking they'll do for my needs. Trying to keep this project cheap. Think they'll let me know put it on this existing setup or will they require a frost well etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

SkiDog
10-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Hey all, Thanks again for the reply's to this thread, I appreciate it.

Am going w/ 6/12 pitch trusses, and am wondering do I need a permit for a dirt floor 12x20 shed? Part of me say probably, but the question is will they let me have a dirt floor bldg on these pads. In the pic you can see a small knee wall at the far end, and under one of the studs (behind the quad), there is a small cement pad. These are every 3-4feet. Bldg has been there since the 40's on these pads, so I'm thinking they'll do for my needs. Trying to keep this project cheap. Think they'll let me know put it on this existing setup or will they require a frost well etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

CONCRETE, MAN, CONCRETE!:D

Thrall
10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Mitch,
Only your local bldg inspector (code enforcer) can tell you whether it's legal to build back on the same foundation. I suspect it'll be ok if you "remodel" the existing. Local laws vary, but many times you cna get away w/ "remodeling" by leaving a very small piece of the orig structure in tact (maybe the fdn).
Personally, if I were going thru the expense of building a 12x20 (to house the MC right?), I'd put down a concrete slab first.

jr,
COnst matereials have gone up significantly in the last few years, but in '02, in CO, I built a 26x26 garage, 2' deep frost wall, 4"slab, cedar siding, 125A service, MANY outlets and light, 8x16 door, no insul or drywall, matched the house in appearance.
I built it for $12k, about $18/sf. I self performed all the work except the roofing and pouring the slab (could only take so much time off work). I also got significant discounts on my concrete, formwork, rebar, elect wire, etc, by working for a lg general contractor.
I had one quote form the guy that built the house. He wanted $21k, or about $31/sf, plus dirt work. This may give you an idea of cost.

mitch
10-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Got a permit last nite, piece of cake!! 179 bucks

Workin' 4 Toys
10-04-2006, 07:56 AM
So did you go with a full foundation & slab, slab, or none of the above...?

ski_king
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM
179 bucks now and a permanent increase in property taxes (if you have them in NH)

Good luck with the build and keep us posted with photos.

Why not increase the length to 24 ft.? You boat will fit much better?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-04-2006, 08:46 AM
It looks to me like the building is for toys like quads and such. And I'd have to assume if the permit has been picked up the 20' is set.

mitch
10-04-2006, 11:28 AM
The 20' is set. It's close to the water (at our camp in Maine) so it needs to be the same footprint or smaller. I'm sure I'm already getting taxed on it now.

I keep my boats at my primary res, and yes it's for quad and a cord of wood. For now it will be on 8" Sonatubes with a dirt floor. Thanks

mitch
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
about 1/2 way there

mitch
10-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Here's another

Ric
10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
about 1/2 way there
nice work, how does the floor work? you will have a ramp to walk/ride over the threshold and then a ramp back down to the dirt floor? OR , do you plan to fill the slope with dirt?

mitch
10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
nice work, how does the floor work? you will have a ramp to walk/ride over the threshold and then a ramp back down to the dirt floor? OR , do you plan to fill the slope with dirt?

Thanks! The 2x4's you see going across the front will be cut, and I'll pour a floor next spring. Need to do some cement block work this weekend for the sides. Starting to get pretty nippy up this way, so gots to move my arse...

Mag_Red
10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Mitch, are the tubes filled with concrete???? Also wondering why you didn't just put in a wood floor built on treated joists?????

mitch
10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Yes, filled w/ concrete, below the frost-line. Thought about the wood floor, but I think I'd prefer concrete.

sassydog
10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Lookin' good Mitch, but just out of curiosity, why does your fly rafter hang past your facia? :confused: That's a new look, plan it that way???

mitch
10-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Lookin' good Mitch, but just out of curiosity, why does your fly rafter hang past your facia? :confused: That's a new look, plan it that way???

Thanks, not sure what a fly rafter is, but my buddy built a small overhang on each end, which looks really good.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks, not sure what a fly rafter is, but my buddy built a small overhang on each end, which looks really good.
He was refering to...

mitch
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
He was refering to...

Is that not conventional? We had been drinking:D

BuoyChaser
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
my buddy sells the inexpensive steel carports, check them out at http://www.t-n-tcarports.com

drop me an email and i'll have him send you some information if you're interested...

great thing about them is they are "temporary" structures so here in New England you aren't taxed on the building...i had gone with a Cover-It shelter over 7yrs ago and finally replacing the vinyl on it...just ordered a new cover should be here anyday now...they also consider these "temporary" structures...check them out at http://www.shelterlogic.com/

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Is that not conventional? We had been drinking:D
It would be an interesting way to put a new drip edge on the roof of your truck...

mitch
10-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Ah, I see what you're saying. Got the lake last nite and it does look odd. Thanks!

bobbyB
10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
The purpose behind running your "fly" (aka- barge board) out past the facia is to hide the end of the aluminum gutters. Also keeps your gutter guy from running his gutter past the end of the building.

B

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Also keeps your gutter guy from running his gutter past the end of the building.B
If my gutter guy didn't know how to "measure twice, cut once" he wouldn't be my gutter guy anymore....;)

mitch
10-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I talked to my buddy and that's what he said, hide the end of the gutter and give it a cleaner look. :)

mitch
10-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Finished it this spring, had the floor poured and gutters (not shown) were added a couple of months ago. Thx!

milkmania
10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
my buddy sells the inexpensive steel carports, check them out at http://www.t-n-tcarports.com
I lol'd when I saw this;)

the guys at T-N-T carports look like the guys from Coast to Coast carports8p

http://www.coast-to-coastcarports.com/index.html

JohnE
10-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Mitch, looks good. I remeber posting in this thread last year, but we hadn't met yet. I would have given a hand this summer if you needed it.....

mitch
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the offer John, maybe I'll call you for the next one :D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I'll sit here and wait to see those pics of the gutters being hidden by the fascia.......:rolleyes: Really, I'll wait right here...