PDA

View Full Version : New Website

rcnjson
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
My fiance, Ali, is an artist. She has a mural painting buisness and is showing in a gallery in Milwaukee starting in October and at Ryan's buisness, Roast, in December. She has been talking about a website for a long time. I told her I knew some smart guys that could make a website. Well they all backed out or forgot how to make them or something. So I decided to give it a try myself. I am more of a wrench and hammer kind of guy but I figured how hard can it be. So here is the website.
take a look
k
http://www.positivespaceart.com

Monte
09-22-2006, 11:01 AM
She's really got some talent!! Not a bad site.. Kind of slow.. but it may be my connection...

SlackAt15Off
09-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Not a bad site for a home business. A few suggestions:

- the homepage should not list detailed info about each of the sections already listed on the menu to the left. instead, include that info on each separate page listed by topic
- on the homepage, use the theory of KISS(keep it simple stupid). display general info about her, her work, etc. save the details for each section
- when viewed in firefox her name is displayed on the homepage but when viewed in IE, her name is cutoff.
- the title you gave the page to be displayed next to internet explorer should list the name of her business, and then the section the person is viewing (ex. Positive Space: Home). for each page always list Positive space but change out Home for Contact Info, Murals, etc.
- "Murals, Interior Accent Painting, and Fine Art" should be listed on one line, not two
- the graphic on the homepage that says "Positive Space" in cursive should be centered on the page. Think about extending the bar all the way across the top so its not just a block in the middle of the page

Just a few things that if changed I feel would help out quite a bit. I'm not trying to be hard on it, just trying to give constructive criticism. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress!

rcnjson
09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the tips. I am working on version 2 offline to combat some of the current issues. The pages load slow because the picture files are so big. I reduced everything that is on the site, just not enough. I think I will leave the detail pages, but on the menu pages go to even smaller images (quality wise). Some of the issues with viewing the website have to do with screen resolution and how the site was created and how it is viewed. Sometimes, a text box appears to be big enough on in a design layout, but when it is viewed at another resoulution, it gets cropped or doesn't show up at all. I had to convert from the .pub file that I designed the website in to a web page file which may have caused some problems too. This question is for the experts, how do I get this puppy on google? I've got a google account and I get to the part where I am supposed to add a META tag to the HEAD section of my website, and I am lost. HELP!!!!!!!! Slack it sounds like you have done this before. What do I do????
Thanks for the help and the input.
Jason

SlackAt15Off
09-22-2006, 02:15 PM
The issues with the screen resolution can be taken care of if you use an adjustable borders. They should automatically adjust depending on window size and screen size. This can be a little tricky but once you get it working, it works beautifully.

To work with meta, refer to the following website (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2) which should provide a good deal of help.

Yes, I have done all of this before but it has been a while. I was always better at the design part of it and not the actual coding. Although, I also use(d) Dreamweaver to create pages as you can easily switch from design to html layout.

I'm at work right now so I'm not much of a help with reference material, but when I get home I can look into my old stuff and give you some more help if you would like.

suedv
09-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Nice art. Lots of talent!!!