PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pop up Cleats

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 01:31 PM
I saw a thread on the old site. I tried a few of the web sites that were listed in it. Did not have any luck finding the "instructions" on how to install these. Wanting to put a couple in my 86 MC. Discussion would be greatful. Regards, Tom

bfrye
08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Here is the link to the discussion on the old site. My biggest concern is cracking the gelcoat. Ouch! I have not instlled these yet. I will eventually. I just have to recover from buying the tower $$$$$.

http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/messages/9533/15248.html?1091143674

DanC
08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
I installed some a year ago, so far no cracks. :D

Check the Malibu site for a nice explanation on how to install a pop-up bow light, same process.

I went to the dealer and took a lot of measurements.
Use lots of masking tape to protect the gel coat from the saw.
Drill a pilot hole.
Cut out with scroll saw. Fiberglass will destroy your blade, I used about one blade per hole. I used a pretty unaggressive wood blade, don't remember the tpi.
Use some 80-grit sandpaper or a file to put a radius or bevel on the gelcoat all the way around the opening. Some call it countersinking or chamfering. This step helps to drastically reduce the chance gelcoat cracking.

Don't drink beer until you are finished :toast:

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
OK.... Might need to outsource this job... I must have Cold Beer when I am near my boat.... I'll do a little more research... I'll also call around to a few fiberglass shops around the lake to see if they have recommendations and get bids. Thanks for the replies! Cheers. :cool:

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Dan, Regarding the Malibu web site. I check out the "how to" tab... and I could not find were it talked about installing pop up cleats. I saw the pop-up bow light... but nothing about cleats. Do you have a link?
Regards.

DanC
08-02-2004, 04:16 PM
There is only a pop-up bow light how-to. I just mentioned it was the same process for the light as for a cleat.

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Dan. Nice 2003 you got there.... :worthy:

89PROSTAR
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Try cutting using a dremel with a grinding disk. I used this method for cutting a larger hole for my stereo (Lots of dust).

Tom Wortham
08-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Got the pop-up cleats in stalled. I cheated... had a fiberglass guy put them in for me. Best $40 I have ever spent. I try to get a picture out soon. Also, added a "prop-guard" to my 86 trailer. This turned out WAY better than I thought. Deciding whether to tackle carpet myself or outsource that as well. New covers WILL be outsourced.... However I might break down the peices to save a few cents. :D

DanC
08-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Nice Tom. $40 wow

rlivingood
08-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm just in the process of having my Liquid Wrenches install these in CA. They claim 1 hour each at $98 a hour :mad: Cope and McPheters claims 45 minutes each for about $75 each. FYI

Tom Wortham
08-24-2004, 01:48 PM
rlivingood,
It must be that cost of living thing. It don't take as much for those ol'boys to "live on" in Gunbarrel City, TX as it would anywhere in the state of CA. Good Luck. Will post prop-guard and cleat pictures soon.
Forgot to mention that I found the pop-up cleats on E-Bay. $40 for both... Not sure how long the luck will last. :rolleyes: