PDA

View Full Version : Water Strainer

pflcjl
09-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Has anyone installed a raw water strainer on a newer model 197 with the water pickup at the middle of the hull? If so, any tips or pictures would be appreciated....Thanks...

east tx skier
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I've installed one on two different boats, but not that one. Is your question based on the fact that there something about where the pickup is located that makes it unique?

Basically, you just cut a small (shoot smaller than you think you'll need) section of the raw water hose (use a pocket knife, then just trim the reinforcement wire with wire cutters). The hose fits on the barbs and has hose clamps. The barbs screw on to the strainer.

bret
09-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Is the junk that bad where you take the boat? I'm really curious as to why you want one...slots in the intake on the bottom(I guess they're still the same) then the small openings in the tranny cooler and if a strainer breaks out on the water, well....

east tx skier
09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Is the junk that bad where you take the boat? I'm really curious as to why you want one...slots in the intake on the bottom(I guess they're still the same) then the small openings in the tranny cooler and if a strainer breaks out on the water, well....

In our lake, there's lots of duckweed and lily pads that get chopped up by other boats and can get sucked thorugh the grate pretty easily. There's also some really itchy moss around where we launch. I'm cleaning out my strainer and finding all that stuff in it on a pretty regular basis. I've never worried about the strainer breaking.

pflcjl
09-22-2006, 09:51 PM
no the water is not that bad, but I thought it would be a good preventative maintenance item to install one

bret
09-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I was just playing devils advocate on the strainer...but I understand now. I never thought about it basically, having the boat in Heber, where on any given day you have at least 5-6' of visibility. In winter, it's like 8-12' of visibility.

east tx skier
09-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, in most of our lakes around here, you'd never need it. But at the one we tend to go to more often than not, it was $40 well spent.