PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Flush Kit

pflcjl
09-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Can someone tell me what a Ballast flush kit is and what it's used for and what is approx cost.....thanks....

skidemon
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I have no experience with it to know how it works.:cool:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=25608&fcat=

prostar205
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I believe the ballast flush kit is a hose that is "T'd" in the ballast system on the KGB system. It allows a person to "winterize" the ballast system in the MC by sucking in anti-freeze (or suitable environmentally friendly stuff) into the ballast hoses, pumps and tanks. I have one on my '02 X30 but I've never used it.

Jerseydave
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Just tried to use my "ballast flush kit" to winterize my system, but the pumps would not create any suction to pull-in the antifreeze from a bucket. I guess the system needs to be primed first. So I ended up pulling each hose off the suction side of each pump, installed a 5-foot hose on there and poured anti-freeze into the hose then turned on the pump. Did the same for all 3 pumps. Then removed one hose off the junction block (manifold) and poured a/f into it.

Next year I'll rig a 5 gallon bucket with a 1" fitting at the bottom of it, put it up high on a ladder and let gravity feed the a/f into the flush kit fitting. Should work well that way. Anyone already done this?

TOO-TALL
11-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Just tried to use my "ballast flush kit" to winterize my system, but the pumps would not create any suction to pull-in the antifreeze from a bucket. I guess the system needs to be primed first. So I ended up pulling each hose off the suction side of each pump, installed a 5-foot hose on there and poured anti-freeze into the hose then turned on the pump. Did the same for all 3 pumps. Then removed one hose off the junction block (manifold) and poured a/f into it.

Next year I'll rig a 5 gallon bucket with a 1" fitting at the bottom of it, put it up high on a ladder and let gravity feed the a/f into the flush kit fitting. Should work well that way. Anyone already done this?

I had the same problem winterizing my ballast system.Ended up doing what you did disconnect the hoses and ran Anti Freeze into the ballast manifold then I put some antifreeze in the overflow tubes of all the ballast tanks and bilge pumps.

FlatBoard
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a 2004 X-30 and the brass intake grate for the ballast system is located on the bottom of the hull, port side.

I use a fake-a-lake hook up and run a garden hose to a bucket with marine anti-freeze and turn on the ballast fill from the switch on the dash.

Just did it yesterday and it took me 5 minutes to complete.

dmayer84
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I turned off the ball valve for the brass intake and just take and old garden hose, hook it up to the manifold and then the other end in the antifreeze. Works like a charm, just have to use all 3 to get it started. Then run each one individually just to make sure they all get enough antifreeze.

swatguy
11-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Yup as stated the reason it won't suck up the Anti-freeeze is beacuse it is still sucking air from the intake on the hull. Have to cloase that ball valve on the system and it will suck fine.

Did I just say that:rolleyes: