PDA

View Full Version : what to use to extend exhaust hose???

DooSPX
09-21-2006, 09:52 PM
I am going to ditch my dino egg silentmaster muffler, im sick of it. I cant afford 100+ bucks a piece right now for two bullet style muffers, so I want to just run straight exhaust, what can I use to bring the hose up to the header? would putting a SS pipe in the middle of the hose where the two bullet mufflers sit work and extend the hose up to the header??

besides, I love to hear the sound of a V8
my truck is decently loud, my Camaro is really loud :)

whitedog
09-21-2006, 11:09 PM
You can use marine exhaust hose the full length. Or your suggestion of stainless pipe will work. The stainless will retain heat longer and could run hotter than exhaust hose.

6ballsisall
09-21-2006, 11:11 PM
My 95 PS190 had stainless instead of rubber hose all the way back. ICBW, but I think the Stainless made it sound louder than rubber hose does. Something to consider.........

DooSPX
09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
well, I dont want the stainless pipe to get to hot and melt the hose. I just want to run something so I dont have to buy more exhaust hose.

whitedog
09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Stainless should be fine. You see it all the time on go fast boats with thru hull exhaust.

DooSPX
09-23-2006, 01:15 PM
i just dont want to melt the hoses.
I just want to put the stainless pipe where the two 93+ mufflers would be. so I can cut and run the other hoses up to the headers

TMCNo1
09-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I am going to ditch my dino egg silentmaster muffler, im sick of it. I cant afford 100+ bucks a piece right now for two bullet style muffers, so I want to just run straight exhaust, what can I use to bring the hose up to the header? would putting a SS pipe in the middle of the hose where the two bullet mufflers sit work and extend the hose up to the header??

besides, I love to hear the sound of a V8
my truck is decently loud, my Camaro is really loud :)

Do you have a friend, neighbor or know someone who is a electrical contractor to help you out?
Consider 3' Aluminum conduit from any number of local electrical supply houses that supply to the electrical contractors in your area. Cheaper, lighter, thicker sidewall, quieter and will run cooler than S/S. If the warm water and exhaust won't heat up and melt fiberglass mufflers and rubber exhaust hose than there won't be any damage from replacing them with a metallic type pipe. Aluminum was used a lot, back in the day before fiberglass mufflers.

DooSPX
09-23-2006, 10:51 PM
aluminum wont rust? with the water and the hot exhaust?
thanks, thats good to know

DooSPX
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
bump........

DooSPX
09-26-2006, 06:49 PM
aluminum wont rust??

whitedog
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
aluminum wont rust??
Nope won't rust or corrode if you keep it in fresh water.

jakethebt
09-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Al and SS will not rust so both will work well in the marine environment. Becareful not to buy the cheap stuff at a auto parts store. They sell a lot of "aluminumized" pipe. This is cheap steel stuff with a coating that will not last very long. An auto parts store should carry both Al and SS.

As far as choosing between the two, I would look to see what other metal this new pipe will mate up with. You need to be concerned here with mating up dis-similar metals or you could induce galvanic corrosion. That is were two different types of metals touch one another and get really pissed off and start to corrode all by them selfs. The Marine environement somtimes cause the corrosion to come on a bit quicker. If you are mating the hose to al pipes/headers or block then use al, if you are connecting it to a cast iron header or block the I would use SS.

As for the heat issue... Rubber will insulate and probably not radiate the heat as much as the metal. As for the metal, Al will dispate the heat the fastest to anything near it. Also consider the thickness of the pipe, the thinner material will heat up and cool down faster. The thicker will heat up slower and radiate longer.

The bottom line to consider when routing is that your boat was designed with somewhat cool exterior exhaust pipes. Where ever you route the new pipes that entire area will be hotter. So if you have fuel lines, you could possibly induce vapor lock by increasing the temperature of the incoming fuel. Also look for temperature sensitive items in the area such as wiring harness, etc.

I think that it is possible and I would deffinetly do the same thing for the money, but I just wanted to post a few thing that I would look for if I were doing the same job. I would route the new pipe, run the boat and see if anything is getting too hot.

DooSPX
09-26-2006, 09:08 PM
thanks guys, the metal pipe will not mate up with any other metal, just the exhaust hose.