PDA

View Full Version : '01 205V: BILGE only removes some of the water

beatle78
09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I have a 2001 Prostar 205V (for about 2 weeks now :D )

I noticed where the bilge is mounted near the transom is higher than the middle of the boat where the gas tank is. When I pumped the bilge dry, there is still 1"-1.5" of water in the middle of the boat where the center drain plug is.

1. Is this normal? I'm thinking about relocating the pump to the middle of the boat.

2. The bildge does NOt come on automatically, should it?

thanks,
beatle78

88 PS190
09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Our boat gets a little build up by the drain plug too.

Its basically impossible for a bilge pump to empty a bilge completely no matter where its located because once the water level drops to a point where the pump gets air all that water in the line stops moving... and then comes back out.

Best solution is to either A. lift the boat out of the water and pull the plug or B. get a bilge absorber.

It might be possible to relocate the pump too... I don't know on a 205V... Or stand in the back w/ a group of people and turn the pump on.

bigmac
09-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a 2001 Prostar 205V (for about 2 weeks now :D )

I noticed where the bilge is mounted near the transom is higher than the middle of the boat where the gas tank is. When I pumped the bilge dry, there is still 1"-1.5" of water in the middle of the boat where the center drain plug is.

1. Is this normal? I'm thinking about relocating the pump to the middle of the boat.

2. The bildge does NOt come on automatically, should it?

On my V-drive, the center bilge pump runs much more often than the rear pump. I'd be inclined to add a second bilge pump.

I think automatic bilge pumps are important. You can add a float switch to any bilge pump, or you can buy a bilge pump with built-in float switch. Some bilge pumps have a two-position switch so that you can set it to automatic or manual-only. On my 2004, the auto-bilge is on all the time - can't be turned off. I like that - it eliminates the possibility that I might forget to turn it on. I'd be inclined to recommend that you add a second bilge pump with float switch in the center low spot, and that you leave it constantly powered.

thijs
10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Seems that there is always going to be a little water in the hulls of these things. Another thing to try if you want to get it a little dryer is cruise about the same speed you would to wake surf (reallyy digging your rear in) and then put the bilge pump on. It surprises me that your bilge doesnt seem to work automatically. How have you tested that it doesnt work automatically? Ours (1994 PS205) takes a few inches of water to bilge on auto. Remember that you have non-wood stringers, so a little water is not going to be a really big problem. If your bilge switch doesnt toggle in two separate positions I would venture to guess that it is always on 'auto'.
Try filling her up with a hose in your driveway with the plug in.

Tom023
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I relocated my bilge pump for the exact reason you are considering the switch. It's tight working in the bilge through the access panel above the center drain plug but it can be relocated. I didn't like the water that collected either and searched for possible leak points and found: the rub rail joint at the stern, the shaft seal, the raw water pump and an exhaust hose. Now that I've fixed those, the bilge is much drier, to the point I probably wouldn't have relocated the pump.