PDA

View Full Version : Changing carbs to Holley 80552, need help

GregBR549
09-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I just got a Holley 80552 for my 285hp '93 190 with the Indmar engine. I talked to a dealer and he said this is the carb they were using to replace the one I had. I had a Holley F1JL-9510-EA R50483 0832 12R-554B on it. He said they have had so many problems with that carb that they were replacing them with the 80552 instead of rebuilding them. So I found one on ebay and ordered it. I didn't check the bolt pattern but I should have. They aren't the same. The barrels are not the same either. The old barrels are the same size on the primaries and secondaries and on the new 80552, the secondaries are larger and the primaries are smaller. So.......What should I do? Get another carb or get an adaptor plate? Help!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help,
Greg

east tx skier
09-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Welcome. The one you had stock was the 4010 and I think your dealer gave you good advice there. Not sure about the numbers you posted, but the first thing you want to make sure of is that the one you got is a marine carb. I replaced my 4010 on my 93 with a 4160 and have been very happy with the upgrade. The more recent replacement is the 4150, which I've seen on some indmar carb boats used by other boat companies. Also a good carb from what the owner of that boat has reported.

tdaines@hotmail.com
09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
It sounds like you got an automotive carb. This is something to be VERY careful with - auto carbs and marine carbs are different in almost every way. First, the jetting at idle/mid/high is different because of engine loading, and secondly, they have anti-blowback features so you don't blow up your boat on the lake. I'd suggest strongly for safety reasons that you MUST use a marine carb.

Here's the best way to solve your problems.

1. Put that carb back on e-bay and try to get as much as possible for it.
2. Prepare yourself for the cost of marine carbs.
3. Go to your local NAPA, find the marine section of their carbeurator book, and locate the Holley carbs for marine apps. They show a listing specifically for your engine package (not for the boat make/model). I assume yours is PCM 351. They show the 4050, 4060 as replacements for the 4010. As East TX mentioned, the original was a 4010. It's old, outdated, and was never meant to last more than around 10 years. Rebuilds never work. Pick the 4050 or 4060. Price is around $509. (Mastercraft dealers list this at $730)
4. This carb will bolt right on to your boat, fuel lines match and choke connections are identical.
5. Go to the lake and enjoy. Your boat will run like a Fuel Injected boat. I've done this on 2 older MCs, and it works like a charm.
6. Find a new dealer, yours gave you very bad advice on the auto carb.

tdaines@hotmail.com
09-22-2006, 04:12 AM
I just got a Holley 80552 for my 285hp '93 190 with the Indmar engine. I talked to a dealer and he said this is the carb they were using to replace the one I had. I had a Holley F1JL-9510-EA R50483 0832 12R-554B on it. He said they have had so many problems with that carb that they were replacing them with the 80552 instead of rebuilding them. So I found one on ebay and ordered it. I didn't check the bolt pattern but I should have. They aren't the same. The barrels are not the same either. The old barrels are the same size on the primaries and secondaries and on the new 80552, the secondaries are larger and the primaries are smaller. So.......What should I do? Get another carb or get an adaptor plate? Help!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help,
Greg
Greg,

Hey, I was curious about this, so I did a quick search. The 80552 is actually a Holley 4175. The good news is that this IS, in fact, a marine carb. The bad news is that this carb is designed to be a replacement for the Carter QuadraJet carbeurator. QuadraJets have a unique bolt mounting pattern, which is why yours isn't fitting.

There are adapter plates available for Quadrajet to Std. Holley mounting locations, but it's going to be easier and cheaper for you to sell that carb and go with the proper unit designed to bolt straight on.

There are two options that will work on your application. The first is part #0-80559 (Holley 4150, 600CFM). This is a 600 CFM unit that should be plenty big for a 285 horsepower application, and will make your boat run like a FI boat.

The second option is part #0-9015-1 (4160 750 CFM). This is the 750 CFM unit, which is probably overkill, unless you have dreams of swapping cams/heads/etc, to create a high performance gas-guzzler.

You can find these carbs Vic Hubbard's marine shop for $449: https://vichubbard.com/shop/product.php?productid=61964

Good luck!

east tx skier
09-22-2006, 11:37 AM
The engine should be a 351 HO indmar. The OEM carb was a 4010 (600 cfm) dual feed Holley. The 4150 or 4160 (600 cfm) will work great. When I was looking, the only 4150 marine carb with vacuum secondaries that I was ever able to locate was through Indmar (and they were $750) :0

The 4160 is traditionally a single feed on these boats and you will probably have some trouble finding a replacement rigid fuel line to connect your stock fuel pump to the carb any more. The flexible one that is currently listed at skidim is $63 (the rigid one they used to sell for our fuel pumps was only $12 and the one on there now is for a PCM fuel pump). Some 4160s are dual feed. Not sure if that's a different carb altogether though or if you could mod it for a dual feed line like the one that was on your 4010 (and is still available at skidim).

I'm sure there are a dozen other carbs that will work or can be made to work. The route many tend to take, myself included, it the 4160. These were used on ski boats for years and years. The 4010 was offered to give a little more hit in the hole shot. As mentioned, for many, (again myself included), it was a lousy carb in this application (although I've read that they were quite good in street applications).

Good luck.