PDA

View Full Version : How high sould my tower be?

Karsken
12-02-2004, 07:07 AM
I have a frend that is wery good at making things in steel, he is going to make me a tower but I wonder what the ideal hight is?
Hight from floor up?
And is it best to have the rope attachment youst above the pole?
Its a 86mod PS 190.

tea boy
12-03-2004, 08:01 AM
The tower height on my X2 is just over the 7 ft mark from the floor. Next to our boat in the yard, mates have a 79 pro comp, simular size to your pro star. There tower is the same height. Just a personel veiw point, it looks a little out of proportion and could do with beeing a foot or more lower.

rem_pss308
12-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I have a 93 Prostar 205, I had a custom tower built. Close to Zero Flex dimensions. I have pics. Look and see what you think.
Mine is about 6' 10" from floor. Rope holder doesnt have to be on top, but you dont want it slipping off, when slack is in the rope.

AirJunky
12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
A rider & driver will notice too tall a tower when they cut out into the flats & do a trick. The rider will easily tip the boat, changing the shape of the wake. Keeping that in mind, the shorter the tower the better. But not too short because you want the hang time it will give you. So I'd say ideal height is tall enough so that you can walk under it without knockin your head. If your 6'2" like I am, then 6' 4" is about right, which is where my tower is at.
I have a friend with the short Zeroflex & the boat is more solid when the rider is cutting back & forth. And we don't notice much in the way it pulls at all. But then it's hard to remember to duck under it too.

bfinley
12-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Rem_pss,
Where did you go to get a home-made tower - just the local welding shop?? How did they mount it to the boat?? What did it cost?
Brandon

rem_pss308
12-06-2004, 02:05 PM
bfinley: I live close to the Gulf. The place that built mine was an aluminum fabricator shop. they make grab rails, tuna towers, and bimini top, ect. I gave him pictures of a zero flex tower, and took measurements off my friends X-9 tower. I had it made without the fold down cappabilities. I have an steel building that I store it under, and dont need the tower to fold.
To fab the tower , and mount it cost $1500.00
To mount it they welded a flat peice of aluminum to the end. It has reienforcements under the deck.
If I could go back and change anything. I would have a thin peice of rubber put under the mounting plate. I had a few spider cracks show up. I dont know if it was in need of rubber gasket, or if it was because my son jumped off the top of the tower into the water, before I could stop him.