PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on polishing a scuff out of gel coat?

Archimedes
09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
My dealer somehow put a nasty scuff on my top hull right next to one of my forward vent covers and I'm wondering if there's any possibility of getting it out without going through a gel coat repair. I just replaced the vent cover, which was scuffed as well, with a new one and now the mark on the hull really stands out.

It's not that big (4x3ish inches) but it's a fairly deep scuff, such that all the glossiness is gone and it's rough to the touch. Any advice on options short of a gel coat repair on my almost brand new boat?

It's on the white top hull, if that matters.

TMCNo1
09-21-2006, 06:33 PM
My dealer somehow put a nasty scuff on my top hull right next to one of my forward vent covers and I'm wondering if there's any possibility of getting it out without going through a gel coat repair. I just replaced the vent cover, which was scuffed as well, with a new one and now the mark on the hull really stands out.

It's not that big (4x3ish inches) but it's a fairly deep scuff, such that all the glossiness is gone and it's rough to the touch. Any advice on options short of a gel coat repair on my almost brand new boat?

It's on the white top hull, if that matters.

I think the dealer should be arranging to have some gelcoar repair done for you out of his pocket!

Archimedes
09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I think the dealer should be arranging to have some gelcoar repair done for you out of his pocket!

Long story on that one, but it ain't happenin. Hence my post. Hoping to do it myself, if possible, before I seek out a pro.

east tx skier
09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
If it's too deep for rubbing compound or polish. You could possibly wet sand it. Check out this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8510&highlight=sanding).

bigmac
09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Before getting out your sandpaper, bear in mind that MasterCraft's gel coat is 22 mil thick +/- .005 (22 thousandths of an inch).

To get a feel for that, get out your feeler gauges and look at .022 and decide whether or not you have that much thickness to sand to eliminate the scratches before you get down to the fiberglass.

I'm guessin' you need a call to the gel coat repairman.:(

TRBenj
09-22-2006, 11:53 AM
I disagree. If its just a scuff and not a deep gouge then it should be fixable by wetsanding. Post some pics and we'll have a better idea.

JEREMY79
09-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Before getting out your sandpaper, bear in mind that MasterCraft's gel coat is 22 mil thick +/- .005 (22 thousandths of an inch).

To get a feel for that, get out your feeler gauges and look at .022 and decide whether or not you have that much thickness to sand to eliminate the scratches before you get down to the fiberglass.

I'm guessin' you need a call to the gel coat repairman.:(

Its not going to be the same thickness everywhere on theboat. I dont care who made it. Chances are you can fix it by wetsanding.