PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel removal

Hunterb
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I would like to remove my steering wheel to refinish it. I assume there is a big nut in the middle that needs to come off but I can't figure out how to get to the big nut. In the middle of the wheel there is a small hard plastic 'MC' piece which is surrounded by a larger round piece. Is it just the small inner part that comes out, or do the innner and outer parts have to come out together. I have tried prying both out and can't seem to make any headway.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance if you have a suggestion.

Bruce

TMCNo1
09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Can you show us a pic of the steering wheel or can you find one like it in the marketplace or somewhere to link us to. I have a trick if it's the steering wheel that I think it is.

Hunterb
09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Here's a not very good picture showing the steering wheel from a distance.

east tx skier
09-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Here is a close up of mine. There are some allen nuts that need to come off as well. The big nut is under the plastic piece, which just pops out if I recall.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0122.jpg

BriEOD
09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Just taking the big nut off in the middle and allen bolts will NOT allow you to remove the wheel. At least on my boat it will not. Harold do you know a trick?

Hoosier Bob
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
All I have to do is remove the big nut and pull the wheel off! Plastic cap pops off, nut gets removed and without a puller the wheel can be removed. I know this from being handcuffed to it at MM!;)

6ballsisall
09-20-2006, 09:44 PM
I know this from being handcuffed to it at MM!;)

Boy you and Lakey sure got onery at MM didn't you!!

TMCNo1
09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's a not very good picture showing the steering wheel from a distance.

Your's is the same as our '89. I had to change my steering wheel because the black finish started peeling off.
DO NOT remove the 8 screws, because they hold the bottom 2 spokes/outer ring to the top 2 spokes/inner ring with the black plastic spacer ring in between. DO NOT remove the 8 screws or you will be screwed!!!!!!!!!!! It took me 3 hours the first time I tried, because I removed the 8 screws and everything was loose but the center cap and the darn wheel. The center cap is black metal with a black and silver MC emblem made of drip molded plastic like the center stick-on emblems for some custom wheel center caps and late model MC decals on the boat hulls. That center cap is held on by a circular clip behind the cap. Behind the cap is the big nut that holds on the steering wheel. You will see 3 little indentions on the side edge of the center cap inside the steering wheel center hole. With a SMALL screw driver pry the center cap up in one of the little indentions on the side of the cap against the steering wheel center hole, being careful not to chip or scratch the finish on either. Then when it pops loose it is just about impossible to get the center cap out of the center hole, because you have nothing to grip on to, as it just wants to dance around inside the steering wheel center hole. Wad up any kind of tape, with the sticky side OUT in a ball or any way you want and press it on to the center cap and gently pull the cap out with it stuck on the tape. When you get the center cap out you will see the big steering wheel nut and the center cap clip ring. Remove the big nut and the wheel should come of with a tap or 2 of a rubber hammer on the spokes. When you reinstall the steering wheel, just drop the center cap into the hole and center it up over the clip ring with a plastic spoon, knife or fork handle and tap it onto the clip with a rubber hammer. Hope this helps, let me know how it works!

TMCNo1
09-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Boy you and Lakey sure got onery at MM didn't you!!

Was tha onery or horney?:D :rolleyes: :eek:

TMCNo1
09-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Here is a close up of mine. There are some allen nuts that need to come off as well. The big nut is under the plastic piece, which just pops out if I recall.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0122.jpg
Doug, yours is simular with solid spokes and 3 less screws, pop cap with small screw driver and pull cap out with sticky side of tape, if the 303 will let the tape stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA!

east tx skier
09-20-2006, 10:52 PM
That's vinylex! :D

Monte
09-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Your's is the same as our '89. I had to change my steering wheel because the black finish started peeling off.
DO NOT remove the 8 screws, because they hold the bottom 2 spokes/outer ring to the top 2 spokes/inner ring with the black plastic spacer ring in between. DO NOT remove the 8 screws or you will be screwed!!!!!!!!!!! It took me 3 hours the first time I tried, because I removed the 8 screws and everything was loose but the center cap and the darn wheel. The center cap is black metal with a black and silver MC emblem made of drip molded plastic like the center stick-on emblems for some custom wheel center caps and late model MC decals on the boat hulls. That center cap is held on by a circular clip behind the cap. Behind the cap is the big nut that holds on the steering wheel. You will see 3 little indentions on the side edge of the center cap inside the steering wheel center hole. With a SMALL screw driver pry the center cap up in one of the little indentions on the side of the cap against the steering wheel center hole, being careful not to chip or scratch the finish on either. Then when it pops loose it is just about impossible to get the center cap out of the center hole, because you have nothing to grip on to, as it just wants to dance around inside the steering wheel center hole. Wad up any kind of tape, with the sticky side OUT in a ball or any way you want and press it on to the center cap and gently pull the cap out with it stuck on the tape. When you get the center cap out you will see the big steering wheel nut and the center cap clip ring. Remove the big nut and the wheel should come of with a tap or 2 of a rubber hammer on the spokes. When you reinstall the steering wheel, just drop the center cap into the hole and center it up over the clip ring with a plastic spoon, knife or fork handle and tap it onto the clip with a rubber hammer. Hope this helps, let me know how it works!
This needs to go into the Faq fellas:) I was going to remove the eight nuts tomorrow!

Hunterb
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks a ton TMCno1,

It will be a few days before I can get at this project but now I know what needs to be done. I'm taking if off to refinish the centre spokes as the paint is peeling off. It's about the last project to do on the boat to get it from the state it was in in the picture posted earlier to basically looking great. If I could find a new cupholder I'd be all set.

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Bruce

TMCNo1
09-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks a ton TMCno1,

It will be a few days before I can get at this project but now I know what needs to be done. I'm taking if off to refinish the centre spokes as the paint is peeling off. It's about the last project to do on the boat to get it from the state it was in in the picture posted earlier to basically looking great. If I could find a new cupholder I'd be all set.

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Bruce
Advance Auto Parts has the replacement [by Grant] for that steering wheel, and the spokes are now powdercoated before the rubber is molded on. They also have the exact steering wheel in chrome and other finishes. Something caused the paint on mine to start peeling back in 1992 so I replaced it, rather than painting and it happening again.

Hunterb
09-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't think we have Advanced Auto Parts up here in the Great White North but I may look around at NAPA or Lordco to see if I can find a replacement. If not, I should be able to refinish it reasonably well. It shouldn't take too much abuse so as long as the paint will stick to it to start with it should stay on alright.

Thanks for the response.

Bruce

Monte
09-21-2006, 03:22 PM
You probably already know this... but sand it down first... if it's not scuffed the paint will never hold, then prime, then paint, if you want the paint flat forget the next step. a couple coats of clear will protect it and keep it shiny:D

Hunterb
09-21-2006, 04:51 PM
That's what I figured. I think the original paint is a plastic sort of stuff. It peels off in big chunks anyway. If it's too much trouble to get the wheel off I can refinish it in place. Kind of gives me a valid reason to go sit in the boat in the garage unlike now, when I go sit in it, but have no good reason for doing so.

Bruce

Monte
09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Kind of gives me a valid reason to go sit in the boat in the garage unlike now, when I go sit in it, but have no good reason for doing so.

Bruce

Ha! Man am I ever with you there!!!!:D

TMCNo1
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't think we have Advanced Auto Parts up here in the Great White North but I may look around at NAPA or Lordco to see if I can find a replacement. If not, I should be able to refinish it reasonably well. It shouldn't take too much abuse so as long as the paint will stick to it to start with it should stay on alright.

Thanks for the response.

Bruce
Most any auto parts store has parts catalogues for distributors there and in the US for speed parts and accessories. They can order what you would want if you decide to replace.