PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Engine

richardsoncd
09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Anyone have any tips for cleaners to use, what to do, and especially what not to do when cleaning an engine. My S&S is pretty nasty and I don't like that. Some of the paint on the valve covers is peeling and I want to take care of that as well. Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chuck

LakePirate
09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Depending on the shape of your carpet, I would be sure to put down some plastic sheeting before I started spraying any chemicals on the engine.

Probably your best bet is some type of degreaser, a cool engine, and the local car wash to rinse all that grease down the drain instead of into the yard. IIRC most carwashes have a engine cleaning setting and the pressure is much less than the wash setting.

richardsoncd
09-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Depending on the shape of your carpet, I would be sure to put down some plastic sheeting before I started spraying any chemicals on the engine.

Probably your best bet is some type of degreaser, a cool engine, and the local car wash to rinse all that grease down the drain instead of into the yard. IIRC most carwashes have a engine cleaning setting and the pressure is much less than the wash setting.

I have heard I need to cover the starter and carb. is this the case? Even at the car wash? And if I do use the car wash, still watch the carpet?

prostar205
09-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Scrubbing Bubbles and a hose on low. Spray the scrubbing bubbles on a cool engine and let it sit for 5-7 minute they rinse off with a hose on low pressure. Yes, cover up the coil, carb and anything electronic.

Sodar
09-20-2006, 02:37 PM
When I first got my boat, I used an engine degreaser made by Gunk and a toothbrush to get the motor clean. Also, a tip that a professional gave me was to use the plastic baggy bowl covers with the elastic around the bottom to cover the intake/carb. Once you do the initial clean, it is easy to keep up on it. Now, I just wipe down my motor after every few uses with a rag coated w/ WD-40.

Monte
09-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I have heard I need to cover the starter and carb. is this the case? Even at the car wash? And if I do use the car wash, still watch the carpet?

Make sure to include the alternator in that! any time you directly apply water at any pressure cover those. water in the carb or any electrical component is bad news!!

tdaines@hotmail.com
09-21-2006, 11:56 PM
I am on my 2nd S&S, and had the same issue both times - it was just dirty in there...

Here's what I did to great results:

1. Take teh clamshell completely off.
2. Cover your carpet, carb, and alternator with heavy duty plastic bags.
3. take it to the car wash, and use the engine/tire degreaser. Let soak for a few minutes, and then spray with high pressure. It will make a mess, so try to cover things up well. Take the plug out and rinse everything down the drain.
4. Once you're home and it's dry, you can take as much time as you want detailing the engine bay. I went the extra mile, taking off the valve covers, and actually replacing them with a sweet set of billet pieces that really make it look nice. I aslo took apart all the accessory pieces, cleaned and painted. They were originally silver on those boats, and it just doesn't look good. I used a heavy duty, high temp engine paint for everything, and it looks awesome.