PDA

View Full Version : Can you do a powerturn (bat turn) in a Maristar/X Star??

bfinley
12-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Just wondering as I watch the used boat market?

BriEOD
12-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Is that a requirment for purchase?

bfinley
12-01-2004, 04:15 PM
no, just curious?

BriEOD
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
I would tend to think it would be more difficult to do it in a v-drive. I thought (I am not an engineer) that the big deal about the capability was having a big heavy motor in the dead center of the boat and that is what enables that "power-turn."

bfinley
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I thought that too. But, the Maristar's don't have the tracking fins, so that could make it easier.

AirJunky
12-01-2004, 04:37 PM
We do Around the Boats a lot riding Sky Skis..... an old show ski trick that involves the boat making a fairly sharp turn. It's just short of making a bat turn. The inboard Prostars will do the trick with the driver palming the steering wheel. I have a friend who owns a '96 Maristar & a couple of guys that own later model X-Stars. They will do the trick but it's like turning a truck around in a cul-de-sac..... two hands & it's hard to get that boat around in a hurry.
IMHO the v-drives drive more like an I/O than an inboard.

Mag_Red
12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
So if you have the center fins.........you can't do it??

BriEOD
12-01-2004, 10:11 PM
I would think the center skags would help. The weight of the engine is directly overhead and I would think it would help pivot the boat.

BriEOD
12-01-2004, 10:14 PM
So if you have the center fins.........you can't do it??

All ProStars have the skags and CAN do the power turn. I have never done one in my boat, but have been SOAKED by people doing them in boats while I've been in the back seat. The general idea is get up 25mph "ish" cut the wheel hard one way and pull the throttle to neutral. The boat will take care of the rest.

milkmania
12-02-2004, 04:04 AM
I bought my Prostar back in September, and I'm still pretty conservative with it's handling, but I see some real potential with it:steering: .....I can't wait till summer!!!!!!!

jimmer2880
12-02-2004, 07:20 AM
All ProStars have the skags and CAN do the power turn. I have never done one in my boat, but have been SOAKED by people doing them in boats while I've been in the back seat. The general idea is get up 25mph "ish" cut the wheel hard one way and pull the throttle to neutral. The boat will take care of the rest.
25mph to 45mph "ish"... the faster the better - but it's also harder on your boat the faster you go.

I very rarely do one. But - this summer I had my mother-in-law in the back seat. She's only 45, but acts like she's 80. I looked at my wife & grinned, she knew exactly what I had in mind & have me the biggest he!! YEAH nod back. I yelled back to them (her step-dad was sitting next to my MIL) to hold on. I actually waited for them to get a good hold & whipped one. You can't even imagine the look on her face! It was PRICELESS!:steering:

latch
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Have a 98 ProStar 190, best handling boat that I have ever driven.
Power turn is awesome. Just remember "Safety First"
This boat handles the turn perfect. Do it with Safety in mind and there should be no problems. Before attempting, be aware of your surroundings. Make sure no other boats are in the area and make sure your passengers are aware of what you are getting ready to do.

Be Safe and Enjoy

sic0048
12-02-2004, 10:58 AM
The center skags actually make a power turn much safer. It would be nearly impossible to flip the boat due to the skags. I personally would be hesitant to attempt it in a boat without them, but I guess people do it without incident.

When I perform a power turn, I warn people to hang on, wait for them to grap hold and then do a small, but quick turn to get everone ready. It is small enough to prevent anyone from getting hurt, but big enough to make people realize that I was serious about hanging on. Only after this "preturn" manuver will I do an actual power turn.

In other words, I do a slight turn to the right, and then immediately go back to straight. This little whip is enough to make people really hang on.

gene dobies
12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
You can do it at 40 mph. Just hold and turn the wheel as fast as you can untill it stops and you will have done a turn in about the radious of your boat. Done it many times.

gene dobies
12-02-2004, 12:21 PM
You can do it at 40 mph. Just hold and turn the wheel as fast as you can untill it stops and you will have done a turn in about the radious of your boat. Done it many times. with my sportstar

AirJunky
12-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Do it with Safety in mind and there should be no problems.

I always heard that you can knock the engine/trans alignment out doing too many of them. My brother had an '88 PS190 a few years ago & we had to realign things a number of times. That boat did the power turn a bit different than my '94 PS205. It's practically would JUMP out of the water, do a 180 & land flat again!

Mag_Red
12-02-2004, 01:28 PM
:cool: Sounds like something I should try next year. So does it matter if you go right or left?? I'm thinking left as that would keep me in the driver's seat. So let's see if I have this right:

1. Get boat to between 25-40 MPH
2. Turn wheel , hard to either side, while throwing it into neutral.
3. Hang on and smile :D

BriEOD
12-02-2004, 01:47 PM
You can do it at 40 mph. Just hold and turn the wheel as fast as you can untill it stops and you will have done a turn in about the radious of your boat. Done it many times.

Wow, 40 MPH! I'd be to chicken. At one of the pro tournaments 2 yrs ago they flipped a Ski Nautique doing one.

I tend to take the tractor approach with my boat; drive it fast on the straight aways and slow in the turns. I figure it will last longer that way.

east tx skier
12-02-2004, 03:22 PM
You can do power slides in early 90s prostars at less than 20 mph. I'm with Brian, I only mess with these thing on the rare ocassion that someone is acting like a jackass and I have the back seat in place. I warn them to hang on, but don't mention that they're going to get some water in the face back there.

milkmania
12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
finally got my Prostar 190 uploaded....

figured I'd just post the link, because I'm a noob and haven't worked on my album yet :banana:
http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/mastercraft.jpg

BriEOD
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Looks good! How about an interior shot?

MCPS205
12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
You must be from wisconsin. Thats the only place i have EVER heard of them refered to as "bat turns".

milkmania
12-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Looks good! How about an interior shot?

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/mc2.jpg

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/mc3.jpg

keep in mind, these are the dealer's pics....

I had already winterized by the time I got my Fujifilm S7000 :D

watching some of these videos make my heart ache to get back out on the water :headbang:

lakes Rick
12-03-2004, 02:23 AM
You must be from wisconsin. Thats the only place i have EVER heard of them refered to as "bat turns".

The MC dealer in Oregon called them "bat turns" also...

sic0048
12-03-2004, 12:09 PM
milkmania - what year? Looks like a 93 or 94. I have a 93 and love it. THe 94s had fuel injection standard I think, but other than that they are about the same boat.

Ric
12-03-2004, 12:13 PM
The MC dealer in Oregon called them "bat turns" also...
The dealer in Dallas called them "what did you just do in our demo boat?"

east tx skier
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
The dealer in Houston showed me how to do it. Of course, it was (soon to be) my boat. I don't do them often, that's for sure.

milkmania
12-03-2004, 12:44 PM
milkmania - what year? Looks like a 93 or 94. I have a 93 and love it. THe 94s had fuel injection standard I think, but other than that they are about the same boat.

got a pretty good deal on it ( I think ) back in September $8995.00

It needed some work, but it's my first boat....so I'm learning

the guy that had it before me did not use a breathable cover, so I'm dealing with some mildew stains on the dog house's vinyl, and I really need to learn how to wax it well.

I have a physical disability that limits me from getting down there and scrubbing the sides like I used to :(

my first spill was tubing.... wife was making a sharp turn @ 40, I swung way out.... took a tumble, got my sinuses cleaned, tore up right shoulder and left knee (sky/water, sky/water, sky/water/stars)
could not lift right arm for 2 weeks, like to flip on a light switch or raise my arm over my head.

that was back in September, and I'm still hurting from that tumblehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_49.gif

milkmania
12-03-2004, 12:49 PM
as you can tell in this pic......

I'm not built to ski :(

http://www.cophers.com/CustomerGallery_other/Hammon,B.JPG

AirJunky
12-03-2004, 01:46 PM
No kidding.... built like a foil rider! ;)

We referred to them as bat turns on the west coast too.

bcampbe7
12-03-2004, 02:02 PM
my first spill was tubing.... wife was making a sharp turn @ 40, I swung way out.... took a tumble, got my sinuses cleaned, tore up right shoulder and left knee (sky/water, sky/water, sky/water/stars)
could not lift right arm for 2 weeks, like to flip on a light switch or raise my arm over my head.

that was back in September, and I'm still hurting from that tumblehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_49.gif

Nice boat!!!
What did you do to piss the wife off?!?

Rockman
12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Nice boat Milk! :banana:

People we know and ski with have alwsys called them T-Turns. My buddy Chuck was able to do some wicked ones in his 94 PS 190.

Good luck with the boat!

milkmania
12-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Nice boat!!!
What did you do to piss the wife off?!?

thanks guys ;)

aw heck, she wasn't mad at me.....

it was mostly ignorance on both our partshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_140.gif

milkmania
12-03-2004, 04:20 PM
you know....

we went to Sea World in San Antonio and saw my first "bat turn" or whichever name you call it ??? Using a ski nautique, I got goose bumps to watch two skiers split and swing out left and right while the boat stalled in the middle and spun around...wish I had taped it.

I was talking to the driver afterwards, he said that is in the program twice a day, everyday.

now you guys have got me wondering about the integrity of the boat and making bat turns...

but, I'm still gonna do it!!! hehe

east tx skier
12-03-2004, 04:35 PM
What they don't tell you is that they get a new boat every year or two. Imagine the force of a wall of water pushing left or right on your running gear at pretty good clips and you start to realize that this is best undertaken as an ocassional daliance, but a fun one nonetheless.

AirJunky
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Not to mention that they have mechanics on staff that can keep the boats in good working order despite the abuse.

Notice another thread where someone was doing this?
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1101

AirJunky
12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
we went to Sea World in San Antonio and saw my first "bat turn" or whichever name you call it ???

I was in San Antonio in 1999 & called Sea World & asked for the guys that ride Air Chair in the ski show. I ended up going riding with them out on Canyon Lake outside of town. Really a cool group of people who play hard! At one point we had two boats going like 25 or 30 mph side by side. One driver held his course straight & the other driver pulled his boat right up to the side so that they were leaning against each other...... at 30 mph!! Then handed over some drinks & a sandwiches!!

They were driving a late 90s SN & a late 80s PS190. Both were in good shape, despite being used hard.

lakes Rick
12-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Milkman,
Glad to see another "real" man on board.. Most of the guys on here are in way too good a shape for their own good....

Leroy
12-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Milkman; Nice boat, try to have a video camera around the next time you are learning something new in the boat, sure that tubing spill would be nice to watch! :popcorn:

milkmania
12-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Milkman,
Glad to see another "real" man on board.. Most of the guys on here are in way too good a shape for their own good....

I didn't become a real man until 1997...

back injuries and surgeries turned me into what I am today :headbang:

now, my "little boy" that's another story.... he's 6' 5 " @ 280 lbs.

I pasteurized milk during his growing years

side note:

ya know, I've been to a lot of discussion forums... and this board is the
most welcome board I've ever been to....
usually the newbie catches heck for the first couple hundred posts

but not here, thanks guyshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_6.gif